Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

"But I think it's in both the developer's and gamer's interest to talk about things without a boycott"

It\s not boycotting to not buy something you do not like. Am I 'boycotting' if I choose not to buy Barbie because I have no interest in dolls? No.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"But I think it's in both the developer's and gamer's interest to talk about things without a boycott"

It\s not boycotting to not buy something you do not like. Am I 'boycotting' if I choose not to buy Barbie because I have no interest in dolls? No.

No, of course I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the case where someone really really really wants to play eg ME3, would happily pay $100 to play ME3, but their dislike of the eg Day 1 DLC monetization thing is so great that they painfully chose to forego the enjoyment of the game just to send a message "Day 1 DLC costs you sales, do DLC later in future and you get my money". I know two people in real life who fit that description. The doll analogy does not quite fit them.

If you hate Day 1 DLC more than you want ME3 then you don't buy - that's clear. The question being debated is what next? You've voted with your dollar, The Ender of Lines has said that BioWare approves of this method of protest, now please shut up. What I'm saying is that it is - contrary to what Woo thinks - worth 'arguing' (but not crusading) on the forum so that the developer can gauge feeling and have a better chance of making the right decision in the future (they already know revenue from Day 1 DLC, but they don't fully know cost). If you don't argue a little with Woo, the devs might think the lost sales were because of eg Origin DRM or any other reason the marketing gurus present in a slick Powerpoint chart.

I'm talking about the case where someone really really really wants to play eg ME3, would happily pay $100 to play ME3, but their dislike of the eg Day 1 DLC monetization thing is so great that they painfully chose to forego the enjoyment of the game just to send a message "Day 1 DLC costs you sales, do DLC later in future and you get my money". I know two people in real life who fit that description. The doll analogy does not quite fit them.

It's an evaluation.  If the game is worth $100 to you, and you can pick up the game and all of its available content for less than $100, is Day One DLC for that game really an issue?  If you still buy it (and especially if you still buy the Day One DLC), you definitely send a message that "it's not THAT big of a deal to you.

now please shut up

Note that you're the one that is saying this, not me.  I explicitly stated that there's no need to keep quiet.

If you don't argue a little with Woo, the devs might think the lost sales were because of eg Origin DRM or any other reason the marketing gurus present in a slick Powerpoint chart.

Even when Woo was still with the company, I think people overstate the effectiveness of arguing with him on the BSN regarding something like this (especially since even this issue is not unanimous).  Actually, in general people overstate the effectiveness of arguing about anything on the forums anyways.  What you see on the BSN is a small subset of people that buy the games bring it up.  Unfortunately, people seem to think that if they keep bringing up the same point, they will get more votes (me seeing the same person bring up the same points, regardless of any topic, doesn't give me any more credence to their perspective on the topic).  And because it's the internet, they start getting increasingly extreme with their reasons, often to the point of "BioWare/EA is taking advantage of consumers" or "BIoWare/EA is being exploitative."  If you ever think that a company is exploiting you, I do strongly encourage you to not support that company.

That type of discussion is certainly less useful and only gets hostile on the BSN, and the discussion always goes the same way and ends up getting hostile with people on both sides taking on increasingly extreme and hostile stances in order to be louder than their opponent.  In this sense, repeatedly bringing the topic up literally just starts to become noise and is a thread that I go into to make sure people aren't being insulting, as opposed to the content of the discussion.

The situation becomes complicated because to the people that don't have an issue with Day One DLC see the solution as a loss of content that they'd otherwise get, which obviously they don't want.  They are the types that are willing to pay $100 for the game, and that they only have to pay $60 + $10 they consider themselves to be getting a deal.

Although now, arguing with Woo does nothing.  He doesn't work for BioWare.

I find that even alanshu's snark is disgustingly polite.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Canadian."

The fact you think Kanadians are actually polite shows you haven\t met many.  They are pieces of **** ****heads who love to verbally attack, physically attack, and insult anyone and everyone else. Trust me, I know this as FACT.

The Kanadian international rep is based on lies, misinformation, false rumours, myths, and stereotypes that don't  fit the reality.    

"Canadian."

The fact you think Kanadians are actually polite shows you haven\t met many.  They are pieces of **** ****heads who love to verbally attack, physically attack, and insult anyone and everyone else. Trust me, I know this as FACT.

The Kanadian international rep is based on lies, misinformation, false rumours, myths, and stereotypes that don't  fit the reality.    

Would you consider yourself a typical Canadian?

Edited by Malekith

I've decided that nice Canadians are Canadians and prick Canadians are French Canadians.

The matter is settled and is not under debate and will be regarded as FACT for now on.

Erm, Alan ... I was talking about a hypothetical case I thought up on the spot to illustrate the point that simply not buying' a product is not necessarily the best idea (as Woo was probably suggesting and you seem to be reiterating) for either gamer or developer. All the other details I wrote were picked out at random (though I do know a couple of people who do boycott). I could just as easily have changed 'Day 1 DLC' for 'Origin exclusive' or 'Compulsory Multiplayer' or any other cause celebre for crusaders or trolls on the BSN. For the record, I personally don't mind Day 1 DLC. I am obviously aware that neither Woo nor you actually told anyone to literally "shut up". I was paraphrasing an implied attitude (don't buy the game if you don't like a feature - and that's all).Sorry if that was not clear from my post.

"'Would you consider yourself a typical Canadian?"

No, most Kanadians are louder, ruder, and more obnoxious than me. I tend to leave others alone and don't like to be bothered or bother others. But, all Kanadians do is bash others (and, yeah lol, I'm aware of the irony since that is what I'm doing now :p). It's my Kanadian coming out, I guess. :)

It was handled horribly.

The Qunari retconn was so hamfisted I almost choked.  "Well actually, all Quanri have horns except for special Qunari.  Who, coincidentally, were the only kind of Qunari you saw in Dragon Age: Origins.  And also, every single description of the Qunari in the first game somehow magically omits this most basic of descriptions, but that's not a big deal and is totally believable."  It was probably one of the worst retcons in the history of nerdrage.

What's worse is that a far simpler solution was obvious -- the Qunari are by definition the followers of Qun. If an elf submits to the Qun, he becomes a Qunari, too. So all it required was to say that Sten is of a different race than the Arishok. Problem solved.

"'Would you consider yourself a typical Canadian?"

No, most Kanadians are louder, ruder, and more obnoxious than me. I tend to leave others alone and don't like to be bothered or bother others. But, all Kanadians do is bash others (and, yeah lol, I'm aware of the irony since that is what I'm doing now :p). It's my Kanadian coming out, I guess. :)

You must be from Toronto. I've met few people, let alone other canadians who are louder or more obnoxious than you

Edit: louder in an internet sense, as you tend totake everything everyone says ever completely literally.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I find that even alanshu's snark is disgustingly polite.

Maybe he has PR training?

I remember a friend of mine pointing me to a forum where some people were discussing BioWare's response to the ME3 ending (where I was engaging with fans), and it was interesting seeing the conclusions that people posted.

The BSN doesn't screen developer posts (TOR's did, actually), but I did take it as a compliment when I saw a post that suggested that I "clearly" had several layers of PR passes over my posts.

The reality is that I saw that there was a lot of outrage happening, and I thought "man maybe someone should do something?" and then concluded "I am someone... why don't I do something?" and I started talking with people.  Though with ME3 it was easier than DAO and DA2, because I had zero personal investment in the game aside from a tertiary "it's success is important to BioWare."

I was talking about a hypothetical case I thought up on the spot to illustrate the point that simply not buying' a product is not necessarily the best idea (as Woo was probably suggesting and you seem to be reiterating) for either gamer or developer. All the other details I wrote were picked out at random (though I do know a couple of people who do boycott). I could just as easily have changed 'Day 1 DLC' for 'Origin exclusive' or 'Compulsory Multiplayer' or any other cause celebre for crusaders or trolls on the BSN.

Fair enough.  And yeah, there are a variety of things that people consider affronts.  You can include camera angles, play styles, control schemes, and loads of other things as well.

By the same token, I'm specifically talking about those that feel that a company is acting with a lack of integrity and taking advantage of you (royal "you").  It's part of the problem with people's tendency to go so extreme in order to make their perspective's louder/clearer.

I am obviously aware that neither Woo nor you actually told anyone to literally "shut up". I was paraphrasing an implied attitude (don't buy the game if you don't like a feature - and that's all).Sorry if that was not clear from my post.

Apologies.  It can be hard to disassociate because I do get the feeling that people actually feel the way that you described.

Any indication about whether DA:I will be Nvidia 3d compatible?

Probably way too early to say, at this point, unfortunately (I honestly don't know the answer).  A decent predictor would probably be whether or not Battlefield 4 supports it, however.

• Like 1

"You must be from Toronto."

L0L But, no.

"I've met few people, let alone other canadians who are louder or more obnoxious than you"

Considering you never met me you can't judge me on how loud or obnoxious I truly am.

"Edit: louder in an internet sense, as you tend totake everything everyone says ever completely literally. "

Internet isn't real life. If you actually think you know me because we spam the internet on shared sites you are on crack. You know me as much as I know Obama. ie. Not at all. In fact, you know me less than I know him since I actually know his real life details. LMAO         

• Like 1

So...how many romances, what will be gender locked, will there be full party romance, can we toggle helmets? Thought I'd get the thread back on topic.

Luxy_Vespa_helmet_Daniel_Chang_Spacecool

I'd toggle that helmet.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So...how many romances, what will be gender locked, will there be full party romance, can we toggle helmets? Thought I'd get the thread back on topic.

The right question is can what's the Thedas equivalent of Canada and can we conquer/romance it? Or as Caesar would had said " Vidi Vici Veni" :brows:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Is Cassandra romancable?

A threesome with her and Iron Bull is a required quest.

Two questions:

Who is writing Cassandra?

Is Cassandra romancable?

Is a BW game, if you stare at a wall long enough you'll get sex scene.

• Like 7
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif