Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'd say in DAO a Rogue could best a Warrior in damage output. He would have to be a dual weapon Assassin because Ranged did not synergize well with rogue abilities, but with back stabbing he could excell in raw damage. If anything, Warriors were the weakest overall.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"They did it because they wanted to make a distinction between a warrior and rouge (in da:o a warrior did everything better then a rouge),"

But, this isn't true.

This is what they told the fans, when asked. I just added the part about system complexity and my opinion on the warrior being better.

I'd say in DAO a Rogue could best a Warrior in damage output. He would have to be a dual weapon Assassin because Ranged did not synergize well with rogue abilities, but with back stabbing he could excell in raw damage. If anything, Warriors were the weakest overall.

That may be, but bioware felt that they weren't different enough.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

In DA:O both rogues and warriors could be competent archers, but rogues had better potential as archers.  In Awakening, however, warriors could actually potentially be better archers than rogues.  The reason, in both cases, basically came down to gear.  

I have no problem with classes overlapping other classes.  I enjoy the ability to build a rogue-ish warrior or a warrior-ish rogue. 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I pressed a button in Awakening and Nathaniel suddenly did 200+ damage a shot.

That was nothing compared to a buff that gave warriors attack speed. I think that the animation couldn't keep up, because it stacked with another buff.

Yeah found them:http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_Warrior

The blessing of the fade and beyond the veil stacked for some reason. I think it was later patched out.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

My eye twitches when I see rouge confused with rogue.  That probably isn't healthy.   >_<

I think we have firmly established that David Gaider is a fantasy writer.

That is true. He writes as a living, he is publised, so he is. How good he is is irrelevant.

It is pretty relevant to Dragon Age, given that he has played a huge role in the creation of the universe.   

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Tried reading the first book some time ago when it appeared in Waterstones, not a fan of Mr Gaider's prose.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Seriously, guys, no love for Miéville? I think he's at least on par with Sanderson in almost every respects. 

I haven't read him yet, but he is in my list to be read. What do you think of him?

- awesome worldbuilding skills, on par with Sanderson, but his characters are generally more nuanced than the black & white caricatures B.S. tends to vomit out

- is able to create an actual plot (see The Scar for example), although, in some of his works, he didn't (I'm looking at you, Perdido Street Station)

- prose and dialogue is better than Erikson's, although it's faint praise; tends heavily toward purple in PSS and The Scar, is absolutely minimalist in Iron Council, didn't read anything else from him (although I'm planning to)

- tends to include some heavy-handed communist b.s., but still far from being author tract-ish

- awesomely weird ("I AM IRON SNAIL!")

This pretty much sums it.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I enjoy Miéville's works a great deal.

Tried reading the first book some time ago when it appeared in Waterstones, not a fan of Mr Gaider's prose.

After reading it, I asked David about the editing process it went through. Apparently, he submitted a draft and it went through a single revision before the final.

I know a woman whose debut cozy mystery novel went through about ten revisions with the editor, and previous to it being submitted to any editors, I her agent had her make some changes to the plot and alter a few character. That's standard for a debut novel published by her house.

Joe Abercrombie is the best current fantasy writer.

8HPlFXe.gif Edited by Maria Caliban
  • Like 4

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

A new article today - Creating Dragon Age Party Members - which I found perplexing in parts.

Here is an excerpt:

“As they progress, the descriptions get more elaborate, giving the artists more to consider with the design. For instance, a coat can say something about a character’s history, and as most know, BioWare is infamous for hiding trinkets to tell stories. “We always love hiding stuff on a character, like really big important things that are huge aspects of [them],” Rhodes says. “We love hiding them somewhere, having some trinkets so when the revelation hits, you’re like, ‘That’s what this has been this whole time!’…”

Okay, BioWare is infamous for hiding trinkets to tell stories?

Rhodes is a character artist and he’s suggesting that the companion designs have ‘hidden trinkets’ that lead to revelations. But I can’t think of a single Dragon Age companion where that’s true. I mean, not even minor things and he’s suggest that they’ve hidden ‘really big important things.’

This entire section appears to have come from an alternate universe.

Another excerpt:

“[We] decide, ‘What does this character think of all the others? What do they banter about? And do they even like each other?’” Kristjanson says. “And that illustrates the main themes of the game even more. Sometimes in surprising ways because, maybe [you would think] that two characters would obviously hate each other, but maybe they don’t. Maybe those two liking each other says something even bigger about the games or themes in play." Laidlaw adds, "Or them growing to like one another. That’s essentially Isabelle and Aveline.”

Yes, Isabela and Aveline grow to like one another, and it’s one of my favorite relationship developments… but how does that say something bigger about the game or the themes in play?

The best companion relationship that illustrates the themes on the game would be between Fenris and Anders. They meet, they hate one another, they constantly bicker, and as the years go by… nothing changes. In Act 3, you get the same bitter sniping you got in Act 1.

I don’t know.

At best, they’re talking about things they’re attempting to do and for some reason the article treats it as something they’ve already done.

• Like 2

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Does anyone else gets the impression that people in the entertainment industry are full of hot air and make big deals from nothing?

Edit: I disagree with everything that article said about creating characters.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I would say most are full of something else entirely.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, dragon like is a bit nebulous :p

I can't remember if it's a creature we have revealed yet, previously in the series.  If it is, it might be a wyvern.  If it isn't a creature seen previously, well...

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

“I have those feelings sometimes where I don’t want to send my kid to his first day of school wearing a propeller hat, you know?” Gaider says.

I demand that propeller hats be in the game and that you can romance them!

• Like 2

That video they pulled at the EA gamescom conference was exactly the same kind they pulled for SWTOR and DA2. It's honestly not promising - a bunch of vague marketing jargon about how the game will be epic and such. I'd really appreciate it if they stopped trying to bull**** us, because my bull**** detector was on full alert with all those developers trying to cover their ass on camera. It didn't feel meaningful or genuine.

In comparison, the article linked above is much nicer. I wish developers would come out of their shells and just tell us what's really going on. Stop acting like you guys have stuff to hide. Their character designing process doesn't sound any different from Obsidian's, so I can hardly find any thing wrong with it.

The less surprised I am by DA3, the better. As I think I've said before, BioWare has to sell this game to us. It's not going to be an impllicit purchase like DA2 or ME2 might have been. Tell us what the game is going to look like, what we'll get with our purchase, because fewer people are going to take a risk, especially at full price. Of course... it is a year before it comes out, so I guess it's not worth it? It would mean BioWare is willing to engage in iterative design process with the fans, but I don't think they want to listen to us, or are convinced we're too negative to provide constructive feedback.

So maybe they should save all this hype for next year? I actually don't understand why they are busting out all these interviews this month, what's the strategy here?

Edited by anubite
  • Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go: