Russia passes more homophobia laws

BruceVC

The Daily Mash pretty much just posted this picture in response to the news.

vput1.jpeg

If he does'nt want to promote homosexuality, the man better put on a shirt. I'm feeling all homosexual from just looking at that pic, hawt.

Rawr.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

A thought ocurs to me.

Youtube. Viz this rather splendid video from My Drunk Kitchen's presenter:

Presumably that would mean content like this would have to be blocked or be illegal in Russia. But what about political parties which happen to be anti-Putin and also pro gay rights?

There could a lot more to this than just bigotry.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Aside:

And I looked and beheld a gay horse, and his name that sat on him was Putin, and arseholes followed with him.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

If he does'nt want to promote homosexuality, the man better put on a shirt. I'm feeling all homosexual from just looking at that pic, hawt.

Rawr.

Aside:

And I looked and beheld a gay horse, and his name that sat on him was Putin, and arseholes followed with him.

If men's torso look's so homosexual f or you...

531222_367598716640142_2020318720_n.jpg

...so I'm left wondering if this thread has much useful life left in it ... :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, we can hurl insults at Russia and have pointless fights with oby.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We're just saying that Putin might want to cover up lest he fall foul of his own legislation.

-Elwood Blues

Russian Olympic medalist shows her true colours.

Not only is she a homophobe, but she's also against others expressing their opinon;

"She said if athletes “are going to propagandise homosexuality on the street then that will show a lack of respect for us," and they should face criminal charges."

What she said was: when in rome do as romans do. 95% of Russian support what she said because they share the same opinion. She knows this, which is why she was comfortable saying it. They don't want rainbow flags, parading of various sexual fetishes etc.

If engaging in positive propaganda for homosexuality (the sort that equates it with heterosexuality) is forbidden in Russia the shut the **** up and get on with the program. The athletes are there to engage in sports and win medals not to draw attention to their sexual preferences or political leanings.

Or is this the first gay olympics?

Seriously people, you need to get a grip on the concept that other countries with democratically chosen leaders can make up their own rules on what's okay, and what isn't okay.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

We're just saying that Putin might want to cover up lest he fall foul of his own legislation.

Why, what are you using to judge the gayness of that picture, your own hard-on? 

Or did the male body and horses become gay while I wasn't looking?

Seriously, the level of hate in this thread for Russia and Putin shows how thin your veneer of civility and tolerance is over that typical British racism of eastern europeans in general ... now that you can't be racist towards, arabs, blacks etc. without repercussions.

:no:

PS: before you reply keep in mind you already told oby that his "eastern blood" was showing in another thread after he showed up with some ridiculous theories on the origin of jews. His writing may have been anti-semitic gibberish but your reply pretty much speaks for itself.

You appear to be angry - yet again - about the interest the West shows in civil rights and abuses of those rights.

Counter attacking by accusing us of racism no doubt sounds cleverer in your head than it does in print.

It is not racism to regard the rights of human beings in another country as being just as worthy of protection as those in our own. It is not racism to suggest that corrupt and violent men can sway great nations such as Russia from behaving in a decent fashion.

It is not racism to observe that compared with violent assaults on homosexuals, simply being a homosexual is not important. It is not racism to suggest that compared with political murder, and organised crime, Russia is not at threat from humans falling in love.

You argue that we should 'mind our business'. No doubt our governments and businessmen would agree with you. They thought this wise in Rwanda and the Balkans. They think it wise in Sri Lanka and Sudan. But it always returns to ordinary people to think one ordinary thing: how would I feel? How would I feel having my rights taken away, threatened with prison, or with death? Threatened not because of a crime I might commit, but because of a crime _I AM_.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 4

-Elwood Blues

Its not about civil rights and their abuses, that's just a pretense. If it were about civil rights you'd insist that the Saudis organize a gay parade, and stop murdering their own citizens whenever the ruling family feels threatened by the idea of a peasant uprising.

Civil rights are just a tool in modern mainly US international politics, (ab)used to give  a veneer of legitimacy to realpolitik. Its a clever strategy because it causes moral outrage that is helpful in building enthusiasm for war. The said abuses sometimes exist, but are most often blown out of proportion by flat out lies and propaganda and sometimes they're just invented by PR companies. The real causes of the wars are much more practical in nature.

It is the same with the current topic, homosexualism in Russia. Yes there is the occasional violent crime (prosecuted by police like any violent crime, regardless of what western papers say). Yes there are politically insignificant far right groups that engage in political violence towards LGBT activists (just like there are groups around the British BNP, just like there are neo-nazis in the German regional parliament that have people out murdering Turks for fun). 

Its all disgusting and deserving of police attention. But its also very very minor. I'm sure there are satisfied homosexuals in Russia that lead productive lives and have relationships with whomever they please. It couldn't be any other way because society solves this problem on its own - places and methods spring up for gay people to find others of similar inclinations

Its only when faced with public pressure and propaganda that previously uninterested people start becoming angry. In the whole slavic world (less so in the catholic-slavic countries) the basic family unit is still the heterosexual marriage. It commands a respect of sorts, it is seen as something worthwhile. There is no alternative to it. Everything else is considered indecent and to be kept private. Gay activism is seen as a direct attack on those values and all it does is make everyone angry and resentful towards homosexuals. In fact, its the best recruitment tool for far right groups. 

Putin knows this, because he knows what his voting base thinks. He knows they're overwhelmingly against LGBT activism. He didn't create the disapproval of said activism in Russians, he's merely giving it an official stamp. It may even get him reelected.

What is he going to do, sacrifice his political career trying to force his countrymen into something they're not going do and approve of?

• Like 1

Not only is she a homophobe, but she's also against others expressing their opinon;

"She said if athletes “are going to propagandise homosexuality on the street then that will show a lack of respect for us," and they should face criminal charges."

What she said was: when in rome do as romans do. 95% of Russian support what she said because they share the same opinion. She knows this, which is why she was comfortable saying it. They don't want rainbow flags, parading of various sexual fetishes etc.

If engaging in positive propaganda for homosexuality (the sort that equates it with heterosexuality) is forbidden in Russia the shut the **** up and get on with the program. The athletes are there to engage in sports and win medals not to draw attention to their sexual preferences or political leanings.

Seriously people, you need to get a grip on the concept that other countries with democratically chosen leaders can make up their own rules on what's okay, and what isn't okay.

Nah I reject what you are saying. So you are fine with a Democratically elected government that would implement a system like Apartheid where the colour of your skin would determine your status or how about a government that decides to perpetuate genocide against a minority group?

We live in a global world and you clearly don't understand how political decisions and consequences work if you think "just because a government is elected they can do what they want"

Sorry Drowsy but I have to be harsh  to get you to understand how wrong you are.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Firstly, I think I've been pretty clear in my examples that I don't think teh Russians are the only people who violate human rights in this way.

Secondly, I don't give a flying **** if they think hetero marriage keeps the sun in the sky. My grandmother - who was in many respects a wonderful woman - thought Asians were thieves. There is such a thing as just wrong.#

EDIT: I've never understood how gayness threatens hetero marriage.I don't like really thin chicks, but it doesn't threaten their marriages. If anything it makes them safer.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Firstly, I think I've been pretty clear in my examples that I don't think teh Russians are the only people who violate human rights in this way.

Secondly, I don't give a flying **** if they think hetero marriage keeps the sun in the sky. My grandmother - who was in many respects a wonderful woman - thought Asians were thieves. There is such a thing as just wrong.#

EDIT: I've never understood how gayness threatens hetero marriage.I don't like really thin chicks, but it doesn't threaten their marriages. If anything it makes them safer.

Walsie is correct Drowsy, its for the best that you accept this. You'll be a much less angry person when you realize that these "damn movements for equality" are not only the right thing to do but are also inexorable :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Walsie is correct Drowsy, its for the best that you accept this. You'll be a much less angry person when you realize that these "damn movements for equality" are not only the right thing to do but are also inexorable :yes:

Well, I wouldn't say they were inexorable. That's half the problem. I would say the logic was ineluctable.

But it seems pretty clear that we're not meshing here. DE's main beef is that he thinks it's wrong that the EU/US get to make demands like this. IIRC that's because he feels personally pressured.

We could debate human rights all day and it wouldn't connect.

-Elwood Blues

Well, I wouldn't say they were inexorable. That's half the problem. I would say the logic was ineluctable.

But it seems pretty clear that we're not meshing here. DE's main beef is that he thinks it's wrong that the EU/US get to make demands like this. IIRC that's because he feels personally pressured.

We could debate human rights all day and it wouldn't connect.

I believe in the inherent good of people and eventually countries won't have systemic laws that are bigoted. So I suppose I mean "eventually inexorable" as the movement for equality will win one day, even in the places like the Middle East. As people become more enlightened most will see that discrimination makes no sense, of course you will always have people with there own personal prejudices but you just won't see laws in countries that enforce those prejudices.

Also I don't see anything wrong with the US\EU beaking about in the affairs (I also like that term) of countries if they have the moral high ground. So yes intervention in Rwanda should have happened :)

John Milton 

Tommie Smith would disagree with you.

250px-Carlos-Smith.jpg

The Olympics are about a heck of a lot more than sports.  

Boo I'm a bit surprised how defensive you are in this thread.  We have a plethora of posters here that criticize the US, but nobody goes after them as racists.

I knew about that incident. I feel a bit conflicted about the gesture. I think it sent the wrong message at the time. About being black as something which wasn't American. Although I guess race relations were so bad at that time it was understandable.

I'd have issues with someone who comes in wearing a rainbow flag rather than their countries, for example. But being open and saying who and what you are on a public platform. I have no problem with that.

-Elwood Blues

For those of you who see no issue with the Neo-Nazi assaults against gays, I suggest you re-read the Russian constitution.

http://www.servat.unibe.ch/icl/rs00000_.html

Russian Constitution:

Article 17  [basic Rights and Liberties]

(3) The exercise of rights and liberties of a human being and citizen may not violate the rights and liberties of other persons.

Article 19  [Equality]
(1) All people are equal before the law and in the court of law.
(2) The state guarantees the equality of rights and liberties regardless of sex, race, nationality, language, origin, property or employment status, residence, attitude to religion, convictions, membership of public associations or any other circumstance. Any restrictions of the rights of citizens on social, racial, national, linguistic or religious grounds are forbidden.
(3) Man and woman have equal rights and liberties and equal opportunities for their pursuit.

• Like 2

I can't get hard because a gay couple moved down the street. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I can't get hard because a gay couple moved down the street.

A slow lateral move, or more of a shimmy?

-Elwood Blues

I can't get hard because a gay couple moved down the street.

A slow lateral move, or more of a shimmy?

It was the Devil's movement!

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Civil rights progress marches on. Calisodom just passed a law that boys who claim to be transsexual can use girls' locker rooms. My question is how can the girls' parents be such pussies?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan