Russia passes more homophobia laws

BruceVC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history_in_Russia

Unsurprisingly, it seems that Russia, just like most of the West, presented more or less the same situation for homo- och bisexuals for centuries (categories, which by the way, are rather new inventions of the 1800s), and even in the early USSR. During Lenin's reign, homosexuals held seats in the government. Saying that Russia is something utterly different, an almost alien culture with no same-sex relations whatsoever, has no historical bearings, and must be regarded as part of ideological claims. I recall in the '80s, how the Soviets kept feeding the world statistics that they had 0 % homosexuals in their massive chunk of the Warsaw pact. It was just so bizarre, as several guest Russian students and teachers at the unis I attended were openly gay. Sure, they had to keep a low profile back home, but that's nothing new to LGBTs all over the world.

It's indeed a matter of universal human rights, and it ought to be a non-issue, since a steady percentage of all cultures, including their most beloved icons, idols and rulers, can be classified as LGBT in one or the other. It is also natural, as a great percentage of all species in the world exhibit homosexual behaviour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Unsurprisingly, it seems that Russia, just like most of the West, presented more or less the same situation for homo- och bisexuals for centuries (categories, which by the way, are rather new inventions of the 1800s), and even in the early USSR. During Lenin's reign, homosexuals held seats in the government. Saying that Russia is something utterly different, an almost alien culture with no same-sex relations whatsoever, has no historical bearings, and must be regarded as ideological claims. I recall in the 80s, how the Soviets kept feeding the world statistics that they had 0 % homosexuals in their massive chunk of the Warsaw pact. It was just so bizarre, as several guest Russian students and teachers at the unis I attended were openly gay. Sure, they had to keep a low profile back home, but that's nothing new to LGBTs all over the world.

It's indeed a matter of universal human rights, and it ought to be a non-issue, since a steady percentage of all cultures, including their most beloved icons, idols and rulers, can be classified LGBT in one or the other. It is also natural, as a great percentage of all species in the world exhibit homosexual behaviour:

Well said Indira, a very relevant post :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Unsurprisingly, it seems that Russia, just like most of the West, presented more or less the same situation for homo- och bisexuals for centuries (categories, which by the way, are rather new inventions of the 1800s), and even in the early USSR. During Lenin's reign, homosexuals held seats in the government. Saying that Russia is something utterly different, an almost alien culture with no same-sex relations whatsoever, has no historical bearings, and must be regarded as part of ideological claims. I recall in the '80s, how the Soviets kept feeding the world statistics that they had 0 % homosexuals in their massive chunk of the Warsaw pact. It was just so bizarre, as several guest Russian students and teachers at the unis I attended were openly gay. Sure, they had to keep a low profile back home, but that's nothing new to LGBTs all over the world.

It's indeed a matter of universal human rights, and it ought to be a non-issue, since a steady percentage of all cultures, including their most beloved icons, idols and rulers, can be classified as LGBT in one or the other. It is also natural, as a great percentage of all species in the world exhibit homosexual behaviour:

Lenin is not typical Russian really. He is some sort of progressor, who revolutionize Russian's into Soviet's. Homosexuality is absolutely not important for Bolsheviks, they just ignore Homosexuals, as majority of Russians today.  And yes, Russia is something utterly different, an almost alien culture, we have Soviet experience, while whole world don't have this, we have dream about Cosmos and Posthumanity in times when whole world dream about piece of food (or money), we we don't consider yourself as part of Humanity, we are different. 

1376907403-428f6d1f86d37ec233f642fa5365b

Anyway Obama is not Lenin and Americans is not Bolsheviks, because this all these gay activists can GTFO.

I always knew Russians weren't human. I guess the cro-mags had to go somewhere.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Activism is part and parcel of democracy. It's something you are just going to have to put up with. If however a concerted pro GLT (did I get all the correct letters ?) campaign is seen to originate overseas I predict it will fail. People don't like being told what to think by knowitalls from another country. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's LGBTQ now or something like that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I recently saw a poster at Oxford University which had something like gay, and homosexual and lesbian listed.

I was very confused. Has gay become something else?

Frankly, I'm wondering if straight/gay/etc is a bit noddy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I recently saw a poster at Oxford University which had something like gay, and homosexual and lesbian listed.

I had the same question in a topic in the mod forum. Fio directed me to the GLBTTQ page and about half way down you will see enough "variants" to start a new alphabet.

I already explained to you exactly how it works.  I'm not sure why you are confused.  The law says they have access to the facilities.  It does not say they have to access them while other students are using them.  None of the transgender students my wife has had would even want to be in the girls locker room at the same time as other students.  They just want a place they can feel comfortable, that doesn't mean it needs to make all the other students uncomfortable.

It's you who's confused, I already explained that to keep them out would be discrimination under this law, just like if you told black girls they could use the facilities but not while white girls were there. But I think at this point we're just talking past each other. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I noticed this too because I historically associate "gay" with "homosexual" and it being sex/gender neutral.  Though I think because (for some reason) the term lesbian exists and applies only to women, that somehow gay became more associated with a man.  Although you still hear the term "gay man" and I'm not familiar with any sort of "lesbian woman" type of expression, on some level it still seems to have a dual meaning.

If the west wanted to go berserk over Russian human rights violations they needed to do it early over other things which affect more people and are more brutal than anything homosexuals are likely to face.

Because I can tell you now these priorities that would seem to put the vocal part of the already tiny homosexual minority above all else is not something the average Russian will understand.

To be fair the West isn't really going berserk over Russian human rights, for example when was the last time you heard of any kind if commission into Russian atrocities  committed during the Chechnya  wars?

The issue is much simpler, there is an international sports event that Russia is hosting. Russia has passed laws that undoubtedly discriminate against gay people, Gay athletes will be attending this event and most of the countries attending this event don't discriminate against gay people in the same way that Russia does

So now certain questions need to be asked. What do the countries and the gay athletes do that will attend this event? We almost all agree that the event shouldn't be cancelled so should political statements be made like wearing a bracelet that shows your view on this matter?

I think they should to show the Russian government that many people have no issue with the sexual orientation of a person. But this is where the debate becomes interesting

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I had the same question in a topic in the mod forum. Fio directed me to the GLBTTQ page and about half way down you will see enough "variants" to start a new alphabet.

Interesting. I keep forgetting about wikipedia. Mad as that sounds.

I like that if I reduce it to just Gay Lesbian Bi, then it contracts to 'GLiB'.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

we have dream about Cosmos and Posthumanity in times when whole world dream about piece of food (or money), we we don't consider yourself as part of Humanity, we are different.

What are you doing posting on a sub-human forum utilizing a sub-human technology (the internet)? Since Russians didn't invent the internet, it's not even human technology.

[insert response claiming Russian responsibility for any/all technological developments in human history]

It's like chimpanzees using a stick to pull ants or termites out of a mound. Isn't this ape's game of ant-fishing beneath the superior master species Homo Slaviens that stands at the peak of the mountain of evolution?

Interesting. I keep forgetting about wikipedia. Mad as that sounds.

I like that if I reduce it to just Gay Lesbian Bi, then it contracts to 'GLiB'.

One of the American comedians did a nice skit over how with everything in the news everyone knows what the Gay and Lesbian part of it stands for, but no-one actually knows the rest. So does that mean they're feeling even more persecuted because the transsexuals and such get forgotten about? Making a nice poke at how the focus is on two parts of this whole grouping of minorities.

Hm,  dang it, now I can't remember who it was.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Being a long time fan of Eddie Izzard cured me of any squeamishness over transvestites - although I know a lot aren't as well adjusted as him. Living in Thailand cured me of any alarm over trans-sexuals, although I must say I still find it a bit baffling.

One thing I will say in favour of a lot of these chaps/chapettes is that unlike 90% of people they have taken a public stand for something they believe in. A stand which could get them injured or killed. There's a lot of folks who NEVER do anything of the sort.

• Like 5

-Elwood Blues

One thing I will say in favour of a lot of these chaps/chapettes is that unlike 90% of people they have taken a public stand for something they believe in. A stand which could get them injured or killed. There's a lot of folks who NEVER do anything of the sort.

You have just made one of the most sagacious and insightful comments I've ever heard on this topic, well said :)

John Milton 

You are too kind. :)

-Elwood Blues

we have dream about Cosmos and Posthumanity in times when whole world dream about piece of food (or money), we we don't consider yourself as part of Humanity, we are different.

What are you doing posting on a sub-human forum utilizing a sub-human technology (the internet)? Since Russians didn't invent the internet, it's not even human technology.

[insert response claiming Russian responsibility for any/all technological developments in human history]

It's like chimpanzees using a stick to pull ants or termites out of a mound. Isn't this ape's game of ant-fishing beneath the superior master species Homo Slaviens that stands at the peak of the mountain of evolution?

Haters+gonna+hate_5e46a7_3803056.jpg

If only my ancestors had known they could gloss over racism with a meme .jpg, just think of all the trouble that could have been avoided.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Your westling ancestors clearly lacked the idiocy and abcense of class possessed by Russian.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Have to say he gets a good return from you people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Have to say he gets a good return from you people.

Ironic, isn't it? If a chap chooses to act out the role of a woman in real life I regard 'her' as a brave individual, and will extend every courtesy. But do it online and I regard it as contemptible stupidity.

I suppose it's because 'oby's author seems to think he's terribly clever, and is exerting a good deal of effort to no better purpose than deliberately provoking people. The analogy of someone who went into a convivial coffee house and screamed "REEDLE REEDLE REEDLE REEDLE REEDLE"  until their voice gave out, just to get attention is, to my mind, exact.

They don't need to be on this forum, attempting to make us thinks Russians are weirdos. They need to be in therapy coming to terms with mummy and daddy not giving them enough attention.

-Elwood Blues