What you did today

Pidesco

Gf is in US for the first time, cue all the touristy spots. Now at a Tim Hortons inNiagara shivering because we arrived at 4am after a 12-hour bus trip. Woo.

I agree that Italy requires very careful planning to get the best from. I also agree that the Slavic countries seem to strike an excellent balance.

However, as any good discussion of options should, I'm going to push the theme further as a test. Why not one of the more troubled countries along the South and East mediterranean? Flights to Turkey are practically going begging, last time I checked. But I don't seriously believe the situation is going to implode any time soon.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have to agree with my colleague Wals on this, Istanbul can be an amazing place to visit.  The atmosphere is good, it's got some great buildings, the grand bazarre is pretty damn brilliant and they're generally fun to haggle with (without having to get nasty), and if you get the option to visit the Topkapi palace, see the treasure rooms and tour the harem...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Plus you'd re-gild your credentials as a swashbuckling man without fear.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

After researching on the web most of the night it comes down to this, we can go to Europe for four days and stay in four star places or go somewhere in the US or near by for a week and stay in five star places. That's pretty much what it boils down to as far as costs go. Makes the choice pretty easy actually. As much as I like going to cool places outside the 

US, you just get more bang for you buck staying close.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That presumes that the star rating encompasses the whole value. ;)

-Elwood Blues

I was thinking something romantic. My girlfriends birthday is in October and I wanted to surprise her with a vacation somewhere exciting. From what I'm seeing though Italy might be a hell of a lot more trouble than I thought. It seems to require a lot of planning to actually see all the interesting places. It's something you can just go and do when you feel like it. I was actually looking at the US Virgin Islands  but October is the peak of hurricane season. So, now I'm looking at Jackson Hole or Hawaii

You cant beat the all inclusive resorts in Cozumel Mexico. Its a little older crown than the college kids that typically go to Cancun and there are some indian ruins nearby if that's your thing. Of course, you never really need to leave the resort if you don't want to. The one I stayed at had 5 restaurants and 3 bars on the premises. Jet skis, snorkeling, scuba, shopping...your every need catered to and it doesn't cost you an extra dime because all food, drink and booze are included. Another bonus is that the packages are ridiculously inexpensive.

Sitting on my porch with my neighbor waiting for the apartment crew (who had specifically said be out by 7 because we'll be there!) to finish checking me out

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

One of my lady friends works at Hooters and she has this kitten that she absolutely adores. Anyway this kitten loves water and is fascinated by the bath and when water runs. Her b-friend was running a really hot bath and the kitten was doing its normal thing and watching the water run from the taps, he left the bathroom and the poor kitten fell into the bath and into the hot water. It was very badly scalded by the boiling water and has been in the vet the last 8 days in intensive care. She is absolutely devastated and so far the bills have cost $1000, that may not seem like a lot for Americans but in South Africa that's a huge amount to spend for a pet. And she is  paying it irrespective of the cost as she really loves this kitten

That's terrible. ;(

I can completely understand wanting to try to help/save a favored pet, especially when so young. Dunno about "most" Americans but I do consider $1000 a lot to spend on a pet (at once) and I've only done it twice. Most of the time, it's spay/neuter/shots and I'd pay to set a broken leg, but no heroic or extensive measures if the odds are low or answers aren't likely forthcoming. But a couple I went a bit further, trying to save them because they weren't that old. Worked once, didn't work the other.

Around here, if they needed intensive care it'd probably cost more than it would if *I* went to the emergency room...since I'm definitely not paying for any dubious "pet vet insurance". :cat:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gf is in US for the first time, cue all the touristy spots. Now at a Tim Hortons inNiagara shivering because we arrived at 4am after a 12-hour bus trip. Woo.

No man should be in a Tim Hortons.

Another soul crushing day at Initech.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll second the all inclusive Mexican resorts. Especially the adult only ones as other peoples screaming kids aren't typically great at setting the mood.

The missus and I spent 3 weeks just outside of Cancun and it was great and we only left the resort to go on the different excursions that were offered (Chichen Itza,etc)

Free games updated 3/4/21

After researching on the web most of the night it comes down to this, we can go to Europe for four days and stay in four star places or go somewhere in the US or near by for a week and stay in five star places. That's pretty much what it boils down to as far as costs go. Makes the choice pretty easy actually. As much as I like going to cool places outside the 

I knew you would come around to my suggestion, Vegas Baby yeah !!!!  :aiee:  :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why spend your time doing the easy thing? Do the interesting and problematic - that's how you get the memorable experiences.. I can't remember all the 5 star hotels I stayed at, but I certainly remember all the 3 stars in crazy places.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Today I'm going to work, then going to a party.

Why spend your time doing the easy thing? Do the interesting and problematic - that's how you get the memorable experiences.. I can't remember all the 5 star hotels I stayed at, but I certainly remember all the 3 stars in crazy places.

I've always found slumming it up to be much more entertaining than staying at the fancy places. Much more flavor that way.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Finally got a raise that I've been waiting a few months for

Smaller than expected.... (that's what she said)

In other news, I survived a week in Russia and am back in Estonia until Tuesday then it's back to the states

PS St Petersburg was nice

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

Kind of what I was alluding to. Those stars seem to rely almost entirely on what amenities and decor the place has. But really I just need (in order):

1. Friendly staff

2. Physical security for me and my belongings

3. Food and water that won't kill me

4. A good view - people or places, I don't mind

5. Prompt and plentiful drinks service

-Elwood Blues

Finally got a raise that I've been waiting a few months for

Smaller than expected.... (that's what she said)

In other news, I survived a week in Russia and am back in Estonia until Tuesday then it's back to the states

PS St Petersburg was nice

You need to give us a detailed update of the highlights around the trip when you have time :yes:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's all taken care of now. I booked a villa for seven days at the Weke Road Estate resort in Kuai, Hawai'i. I wanted either Kuai or Molikai because they are off the beaten path but I figured one day we'd take the plane over to Oahu to go shopping and hang out at Waikiki. I picked a US destination because I didn't want there to be any snags or hang ups. This has to go perfectly, plus I don't know if she has a passport and I don't know don't know how to ask without giving anything away.

I already asked her to take some time off work for a little get away. She doesn't know where though. That's going to be a surprise. I'll tell her a few days before we go so she knows what to pack but I've taken care of everything else.  

But that's not the only surprise though. If all goes well I'm going to propose on this trip so wish me luck!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I knew you would come around to my suggestion, Vegas Baby yeah !!!!  :aiee:  :aiee:

I love Vegas and it's only a seven hour drive away but I've done that to death!

Thomas Sowell

Awesome! Good luck GD, you dumb bastage. :p

I kid, marriage is a wonderful institution.

:lol:  Hopefully the second time will be the charm! 

Thomas Sowell

If all goes well I'm going to propose on this trip so wish me luck!

Well, if you're lucky she'll say no. :lol:

But hope you have a fun and safe trip

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Awesome! Good luck GD, you dumb bastage. :p

I kid, marriage is a wonderful institution.

:lol:  Hopefully the second time will be the charm! 

Wow GB, that is huge news around the proposal, gratz. :dancing:  :dancing:

But don't you think you rushing things and what if she says no?

John Milton