New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Laser fuel for powerful beams is actually really expensive. It's a whole other ballpark than consumer level lasers and only really viable for something like the anti missile role.

A railgun uses an array of electro magnets and onboard a destroyer or something with a huger powerplant it looks feasible. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• 3 weeks later...

The person writing the article makes the comparison to the Death Star which is nonsense as lasers are light and wouldn't behave as a solid in those conditions. The better analogy would be on how they use it for medicine by having multiple lasers intersect on a given point to burn something malignant. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The person writing the article makes the comparison to the Death Star which is nonsense as lasers are light and wouldn't behave as a solid in those conditions. The better analogy would be on how they use it for medicine by having multiple lasers intersect on a given point to burn something malignant.

Did you see the enbeded link for their ADAM laser?

Awww yeah! As soon as we figure out how to miniaturize a power supply then we can start strapping these bad boys to our drone fleets.

Soon.

I wonder how well a reflective tinfoil countermeasure would work?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

So, not really a "discovery" per se. More like, somebody considering making your worst nightmare (or wildest dream, sure...) come true. Full body transplants.

frankensconi.jpg

Now all we need is someone to start growing 'em in glass jars...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I am wondering what effect this would have on the psychological side. I certainly would feel weird when looking down and my weener is different. And of course my arms and legs and everything else.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This probably belongs in the category "scientific re-discoveries".

Thousand year old Anglo-Saxon potion kills MRSA superbug

London (CNN)It might sound like a really old wives' tale, but a thousand-year-old Anglo-Saxon potion for eye infections may hold the key to wiping out the modern-day superbug MRSA, according to new research.

The 10th-century "eyesalve" remedy was discovered at the British Library in a leather-bound volume of Bald's Leechbook, widely considered to be one of the earliest known medical textbooks.

Christina Lee, an expert on Anglo-Saxon society from the School of English at the University of Nottingham, translated the ancient manuscript despite some ambiguities in the text.

"We chose this recipe in Bald's Leechbook because it contains ingredients such as garlic that are currently investigated by other researchers on their potential antibiotic effectiveness," Lee said in a video posted on the university's website.

"And so we looked at a recipe that is fairly straightforward. It's also a recipe where we are told it's the 'best of leechdoms' -- how could you not test that? So we were curious."

Lee enlisted the help of the university's microbiologists to see if the remedy actually worked.

The recipe calls for two species of Allium (garlic and onion or leek), wine and oxgall (bile from a cow's stomach) to be brewed in a brass vessel.

"We recreated the recipe as faithfully as we could. The Bald gives very precise instructions for the ratio of different ingredients and for the way they should be combined before use, so we tried to follow that as closely as possible," said microbiologist Freya Harrison, who led the work in the lab at the School of Life Sciences.

The book included an instruction for the recipe to be left to stand for nine days before being strained through a cloth. Efforts to replicate the recipe exactly included finding wine from a vineyard known to have existed in the ninth century, according to Steve Diggle, an associate professor of sociomicrobiology, who also worked on the project.

The researchers then tested their recipe on cultures of MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a type of staph bacterium that does not respond to commonly used antibiotic treatments.

The scientists weren't holding out much hope that it would work -- but they were astonished by the lab results...

Grognard potions ftw!

See link for full story original.gif

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...