The general firearms thread!

Woldan

Oh how far man-portable anti-tank weapons have come, from the humble Boys Anti-tank rifle to the Panzerfaust, to the AT-3 Sagger to the MILAN, then finally the RBS-56 BILL and the TOW 2B.

Judging by comments on this forum, the most powerful anti-tank system ever created would be obyknven in charge of a tank design bureau. Can you say nine turrets, each with an uzi?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Raise you the 140mm Smoothbore tested for the Leopard 2 and the Abrams Component Advanced Technology Test Bed:

pz87140mm1ku.jpg

I swear that thing would send the turret of a T-80 flying all the way back to Kharkiv  :biggrin:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Pfft, it's not the size that matters, but the motion of the ocean!

BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Its all about the girth. 

Long and thin

Won't fit right in

And irritates the ladies

Short and thick

Is just the stick

For mass producing babies.

• Like 4

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wals, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but let me educate you on the human body: men-teats are not suited to breast feed the young, so why should I bother about their absence on badly-cropped photos?

:blink:

Anyway, man, I SO wish a had (and was allowed to own) a PTRD: 

Planning on overthrowing the government, are we?

Ah, the good old days where a single bullet could solve most political problems. Nowadays you'd have to carpet bomb countless government buildings with fire bombs to achieve a change. The evil has dramatically increased its numbers.....

;) 

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wals, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but let me educate you on the human body: men-teats are not suited to breast feed the young, so why should I bother about their absence on badly-cropped photos?

:blink:

Anyway, man, I SO wish a had (and was allowed to own) a PTRD: 

Let freedom ring with a shotgun  blast!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Swedes shooting theirs: 

These must be the Swedish equivalent of the Crimean Self-Defence forces, with the Norwegian flags on the uniforms and all.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Loaded some 45-90's, 525 grain hard cast, about 430 meters second. If your personal space gets violated by a herd of diplodocus just call me. 

45-90-525_zps6346ab32.jpg

What about those giant ducks?

-Elwood Blues

What about those giant ducks?

Unfortunately we're not allowed to own any 20mm Anti Aircraft cannons. 

Edited by Woldan

Hey, Woldan. This is purely a geek request:

Since you cast your own, could you make some silver bullets? That would be pretty badass.

-Elwood Blues

A bullpup AR-15:

http://youtu.be/hXQk6_dg_c4

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hey, Woldan. This is purely a geek request:

Since you cast your own, could you make some silver bullets? That would be pretty badass.

If someone gave me the silver required I could certainly cast a few bullets. Silver melts at 960 Celsius, thats close to the max temp what my electric melting furnace can reach (remember, lead melts around 400 Celsius), but it would work. 

Though you should be aware of silvers brittleness. Silver is not an ideal bullet material and may break apart inside the barrel when it gets squished through the forcing cone at blistering speed, let alone properly engaging the rifling and make it spin. A silver projectile would probably start to tumble a few meters after leaving the barrel due to the damage and the lack of gyroscopic stabilization. 

I think shotgun pellets with a plastic shot cup and wad to soften the acceleration would work better.

Gold would work much better, its soft enough, very dense, it would probably stabilize and fly true. $$$ though. Remember, one shot would send 32-42  grams of Gold into the bullet backstop. (Thats an ounce per shot, thats about € 900 per shot, or 720 BP  :wowey: )

If I was rich I'd totally do it though. 

Edited by Woldan

Interesting. I'm used to thinking of silver as soft.

So I guess you've got two options:

- a lead jacket around a silver core. A hollow point silver core would split open on impact and kill your werewolves etc quite tastily

- silver shrapnel maybe?

I've clearly not given enough thought to how an imaginary creature should be killed using imaginary bullets.

-Elwood Blues