Meh, not seeing the whole excitement. I am interested in SteamOS in at least to see how much they let you do with it.

Well, I mean, it's Linux, so you'll be able to do with it what you can do with any other Linux distribution, which is to say, whatever you want.  Steam itself is proprietary, so not much you can do with that, outside of what Valve allows you to (it would be cool if they open sourced parts of Steam, but I'm not holding my breath), but outside of Steam, especially the underlying kernel, libraries, and stack of open source apps, you can do with as you desire.  If you want to turn it into a print server running on a coffee machine, you can turn it into a print server running on a coffee machine.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, I know that and am vaguely aware of what Linux is. But was curious how tied in Steam itself will be to the OS. Heh, trying to use Linux without a proper keyboard would be fun. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's "old" history now (a few days ago), but I grabbed Dead Island Riptide at 75% off. I quite liked the original, even if not actually completing it. Makes for a nice diversion every now and then booting it up and continuing the game, because I don't feel some compelling need to play it for hours on end. Just make a bit of progress.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I thought this was a fascinating description of the new controller. I didn't know what "haptic feedback" meant until now, which is apparently what this is:

"This sounds weird, but it's almost like rolling two weighted trackballs that are too large to actually fit into the controller," Lambe said as he tried to explain what it's like to have one's thumbs on those two trackpads. "For camera controls, slide one thumb to the right, and you'll feel this ticking, like you're turning a physical control. Flick your thumb quickly, and this imaginary physical thing reacts like something with weight to it—the 'trackball' continues to roll for a bit, eventually coming to a rest. And since it's all controlled through the software, the same trackpad then becomes more like a mouse or a laptop trackpad when you're navigating through menus. Dynamic!"

All Stop. On Screen.

I don't need or want a controller. If someone eventually comes up with a better input device than the mouse (and keyboard), then I'll relearn everything. But not until then.

For FPS, mouse and keyboard is the only way to go. I can't stand playing them with controllers and I don't see how the steam controller is going to change that. It looks like it might be pretty cool otherwise, for other game genres. 

I was reading some comments in its community hub and it's apparently supposed to be pretty bad. I thought it looked like it could actually be a bit of fun from the screenshots, but...:(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I don't need or want a controller. If someone eventually comes up with a better input device than the mouse (and keyboard), then I'll relearn everything. But not until then.

For FPS, mouse and keyboard is the only way to go. I can't stand playing them with controllers and I don't see how the steam controller is going to change that. It looks like it might be pretty cool otherwise, for other game genres. 

I have come to realize that a PC Controller is extremely useful, in fact I would argue mandatory, for certain games that have been ported to PC. Like Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guest Slinky

I have come to realize that a PC Controller is extremely useful, in fact I would argue mandatory, for certain games that have been ported to PC. Like Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders

Yes, though the need for controller for certain games is direct result of lazy port. Either because the devs didn't bother to make the K&M controls good or because the moneymen didn't allow them to do it.

I personally vote no with my wallet for games like that, no matter how good the game otherwise is.

Yes, though the need for controller for certain games is direct result of lazy port. Either because the devs didn't bother to make the K&M controls good or because the moneymen didn't allow them to do it.

I personally vote no with my wallet for games like that, no matter how good the game otherwise is.

Yeah I hear you and agree. The main reason for me in using a Controller in Sleeping Dogs was because you couldn't remap the KB controls. This was laziness from the Developers. But the Controller did make the game  so easy to play and I am at a point now where I won't play a good game just because a Controller is necessary, I see that as " cutting your nose off to spite your face". And Sleeping Dogs is a great and entertaining game :yes:

But I do understand your point :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sports games, racing/driving games, platformers, there are plenty of games where a controller is a superior tool to m&kb.  I love my 360 controller.  I also love my flightstick.  While m&kb is certainly superior for many games, it's not the holy of holies some make it out to be.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I generally find the controller better when the game is designed for twin stick. Overlord is the game that really sold me on that idea. Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami, I'll even prefer it for Skyrim.

But an FPS? That will be a hard sell.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm glad the kind of games I like aren't really enhanced by a gamepad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm glad the kind of games I like aren't really enhanced by a gamepad.

That seems a bizarre thing to be glad of. Like being happy your preferred soda comes in red can instead of a brown one.

A game's a game.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That seems a bizarre thing to be glad of. Like being happy your preferred soda comes in red can instead of a brown one.

A game's a game.

Not really keen on another peripheral to keep around, though I suppose I should get a larger desk. Also does mean I avoid the experience of using a non-optimal controller as is claimed. Should have checked first before stating that, maybe.

I was reading some comments in its community hub and it's apparently supposed to be pretty bad. I thought it looked like it could actually be a bit of fun from the screenshots, but... :(

Is $7, might as well try it if you have a suspicion it might be fun. And if it's total garbage well...you've experienced the bad so you'll appreciate the good that much more, or something. The sword levelling with you was something interesting at the time, or at least I think it was when I read a review on it many years ago. :p