Scifi game concept from obsidian

Prometheus

I hope they do make it someday.  I'm down for Skyrim Shock Effect (Mass Sky Shock?  System Effect Rim?).  Obsidian has already proven they can make a far superior game with one of Bethesda's engines, obligatory bugs aside.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I hope they do make it someday. I'm down for Skyrim Shock Effect (Mass Sky Shock? System Effect Rim?). Obsidian has already proven they can make a far superior game with one of Bethesda's engines, obligatory bugs aside.

Actually, if it gets picked up, I'd rather have it NOT on a Bethesda engine. That's by far my least favorite part about it.

(I'm also not sure Bethesda would pick it up again, considering they already passed on it.)

Edited by C2B

Most likely the game is not ever happening as such.

But there's a high chance Osidian will recycle any usable ideas into some other future game.

Well, not as such. But it may. That's the entire point.

More so than any other shut down Obsidian project depending on positive reception of the concept.

If they ever return to this project, I do hope the ditch the idea of a "fast paced action combat" and focus more on making combat situational, tactical and character based and overall make the game lean more towards and adventure RPG than an action RPG.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

If Bethesda decided not to finance it, I doubt anyone else would.

Why?

Because unlike other publishers Bethesda seems to be flush with money, and they've at least shown some willingness in the past to finance slightly unusual projects, and I can't really think of any one else who's either capable or willing. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

If Bethesda decided not to finance it, I doubt anyone else would.

Why?
Because unlike other publishers Bethesda seems to be flush with money, and they've at least shown some willingness in the past to finance slightly unusual projects, and I can't really think of any one else who's either capable or willing.

So have other publishers? Yes, Beth does it a bit more, but even on their side they are exceptions. Aside from them not being so holy either when handeling said games. (controversities)

I could see Warner Brothers or Square Enix for example.

Also you are making this thing sound a bit riskier than the concept is, imo.

Edited by C2B

RPG's are always risky, for that matter most titles are. Square Enix I think would only do internal development unless there are special circumstances, like a license, and they seem to be in a lot of trouble lately. Warner Brothers I don't know, what in hell do they even do?

Edit: I guess I could see Deep Silver, if it's done on a shoe string, may be Ubi but seems unlikely, admittedly there might be others I forgot about.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I would love an open world, sci-fi themed (maybe even cyber punk?!!!) game from Obsidian.  The only thing I'm not crazy about is the time travel.  Time travel is one of the worst narrative devices ever imagined.  It has always struck me as completely boring.  Time travel stories always end up either 1) Having no consequences that are not mitigated by the time travel device itself or 2) devolving into a paradoxical and/or tautological mess.

• Like 2

Oh man, it's anything but boring. A modern U.S. Navy aircraft carrier back in time at Pearl Harbor!? With Kirk Douglas? Awesome.

No, I think time-travel as a device is uniquely interesting. Because it is practically impossible. the audience has to suspend more than disbelief. In fact, it's fun and easy to accept alternate laws of physics, where the arrow of time has two points and paradoxes are the phenomena that become impossible. Redundancy works beautifully, too, just as Spock and young Spock have discovered recently, so to speak. :geek:    

All Stop. On Screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking out Linkedin I noticed that Sydney Wolfram was the games lead level designer and developed the pitch itself including the story

Developed the pitch; including the story and many gameplay elements
Designed, scripted, and propped out the demo level
Implemented special encounters

Currently she's at Zenimax Online Studios.

She appeared in the Aliens Video. I don't know if she was just a placeholder model, but that makes here defidefinitly not Backspace.

Also Backspace was AFTER FNV in early 2011.

So, no. Pretty sure she is not a backspace character.

Edited by C2B

So this is probably another cancelled game. A shame, because these images look beautiful.

It's weird. I do think some of these must be from different projects.

Because I'm close to certain the pic that was posted in here IS from Aliens. For one, she was in the video. For another Menze mentions in the comments to that pic that Josh Sawyer was the Lead Designer.

Edited by C2B

Obsidian comes up with so many great ideas, and so many of them get canned.  The gaming industry is really in shambles these days.

Save RPGs

Saying Dragon Age 2 is the worst recent Bioware RPG is like saying the Ferrari California is the worst Ferrari. It's still a Ferrari; an elite, top-tier, without much competition in today's industry.