Hurlshot's Summer RV Trip 2013 Edition

Hurlshort

With the school year wrapped up as of yesterday, it is time to hit the road in the RV for a few weeks.  This year we are focusing on southern Utah, mainly Zion and Bryce Canyon National parks.  It was a bit tough getting out of the house and on the road, I had a hockey game last night at 11 PM and so I was struggling to get everything out of the house in the morning.  We got on the road a little before 10 and the kids promptly fell asleep for the first leg of the trip.  We stopped for lunch around Bakersfield, and finally reached our first RV park in Calico.  Calico is definitely a desert town, we had hot dusty wind blowing as I tried to BBQ some pork chops.  But there is an old west ghost town up the road, and we plan on visiting it tomorrow.  The park has a pretty great playground.

3ggj.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 4

Yay! :)

Picture not working? :(

Edit: Ok, clicking the link works. Maybe the https tags confuses the forum

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bakersfield? Are you going Vegas or something?

*thinks* ok, I can understand it, although I probably would have taken 50 to carson city and down 95

More Scenic in the Sierras.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

When you're driving the RV full of family.. where do they all sit? Do you allow them to be in the actual house part of the RV or does everyone have to be seated in the front with their seatbelts on?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Calax - we are taking that route home, I like to make my trips as circular as possible.  :)

mkreku - the front of the RV only has the two seats, so the kids sit in the house part.  My 3 year old usually sits in a car seat that I strap into the couch.  It is right behind the passenger seat, so he can see out the window and he's easy to get to.  My daughter is 6 so she can sit next to him on the couch or at the table using a regular seatbelt.  Sometimes my wife will take them back to the bed and watch a movie while we are driving too.  The law says you only need seat belts when in the front part, but I try and keep them strapped in as often as possible.  It's a lot more comfortable than travelling in a car, that's for sure.

Calax - we are taking that route home, I like to make my trips as circular as possible.   :)

mkreku - the front of the RV only has the two seats, so the kids sit in the house part.  My 3 year old usually sits in a car seat that I strap into the couch.  It is right behind the passenger seat, so he can see out the window and he's easy to get to.  My daughter is 6 so she can sit next to him on the couch or at the table using a regular seatbelt.  Sometimes my wife will take them back to the bed and watch a movie while we are driving too.  The law says you only need seat belts when in the front part, but I try and keep them strapped in as often as possible.  It's a lot more comfortable than travelling in a car, that's for sure.

Hurlshot when we use to go on trips in our RV my dad use to let us attach a rope to the back of the RV and  he would pull us on our skateboards on the quiet roads, that's something I'm sure your kids would enjoy?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Are you guys going to monument valley?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Watch out for the Barbie museum! It's NOT what you think!

• Like 2

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

*blink*

*blink*

Is that you, Mojave? Is this me?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Day 2 - We took a shuttle up to Calico Ghost Town, which was a major silver boom town for a couple years before being abandoned.  It was restored by the guy who owns Knott's Berry Farms.  We got there around 10 AM, which was good, because it got hot by the afternoon.

We ran into a little trouble with the law at first.

a9cc.jpg

We rode a little train around and saw a lot of holes in the rocks where people had prospected.  Apparently there are millions of dollars worth of silver in the leftover rock from the blasting and digging, but it would cost more to process it than it is worth.

Later on we visited Doc's house in Primm.

b5yv.jpg

We were dead tired by about 2 and headed back to the RV for a nap.  At least the adults took naps, the kids watched a movie.

fr49.jpg

Tomorrow we get back on the road towards Utah.  We'll be passing through Vegas, baby.  But not stopping :p

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 7

Hurlshot's RV trip threads are becoming one of the best "annual traditions" of the forum.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That picture of your kid smiling in a coffin is awesome. I've been trying to work out if I can turn it into a block colour image and put it on a t-shirt.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Day 3 - We were driving for most of the day, so all the pictures are from the road.  But I convinced my wife to hang out the window to take some great shots.  We passed Helios One, err Solar Two, out in the Mojave.  You can see an odd light shining out of it.

qepa.jpg

Then we actually stopped in Primm for some shopping.  I've never actually seen the coaster at Bisons Steve's running.

jwb3.jpg

We drove through Nevada and Arizona, and finally entered this impressive pass to get to Utah.

s00.jpg

We are at a very nice park along the banks of the Virgin River, just a few miles outside of the Zion park entrance.  We are jumping on a shuttle early tomorrow to explore the park.  Now I just need to get the kids to bed.

• Like 4

Keep em coming. It's like having a vacation by proxy.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Keep em coming. It's like having a vacation by proxy.

:biggrin:  Exactly

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That was the greatest post in the history of ever.

I just found out from Brian Regan what the name of that roller coaster is: (It's supposed to start at 8m53s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTc88Govj4&feature=youtu.be&t=8m53s

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Man.. you know I love your RV adventures and your pictures and your family (especially your wife) as much as the next guy, but this is just too much..

I mean, look at this!

a9cc_zps10c125d1.jpg

WHAT

a9cc2_zpsb1048469.jpg

THE

a9cc3_zps84c2aeed.jpg

a9cc4_zpsfb08e210.jpg

IS

a9cc5_zps90e0f841.jpg

THIS?!

ANKLE SOCKS! EVER HEARD OF ANKLE SOCKS?!

I'm going to have to go lie down now.

• Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!