Build Thread

Gorgon

Greetings from my new computer. 

This thing is so fast I'm sending this message from the future *something going fast sound*

I wanted to once again thank everyone for their help

You gonna post some pictures of it?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Greetings from my new computer. 

This thing is so fast I'm sending this message from the future *something going fast sound*

I wanted to once again thank everyone for their help

How's the climate in the future?  Have the Jews and the Palestinians finally finished killing each other off or is that still happening?  Did we end world hunger?  What about cancer, did we cure that?  Have we put a man on Mars yet?  Have the Dallas Cowboys managed to finish something other than 8-8 at any time between now and the future?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 4 weeks later...

Haswell-E is out with mb following suit. Just waiting for them to appear in my country and then pulling the trigger on either a 4790k or a 5820k, depending on what prices are listed in my stores.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Figured I'd post here, rather than start my own. Building up my first PC in a damned long time. Previous machine's based on a four year old motherboard. Core 2 Duo 5000 series CPU, Radeon 4850 GPU, 2GB DDR2 RAM.

Now, I'm well out of touch. I don't build very often. I recently purchased a Radeon R9 270X and am, probably fairly obviously, bottle-necking hard. So, I'm looking at purchasing an H97 L1150 board, an i-5 4460 CPU and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

I guess the question is, is it worth saving all that money and simply expanding out the DDR2 RAM to, say, 6 or 8GB for the moment? Will that cure the bottle-neck or have I now got to the point where the CPU and board are now hopelessly obsolete?

Dirty deeds done cheap.

The CPU just won't cut it, the DDR2 would be a waste of money (if you can even find any for sale). Unless it's near-free as a hand-me-down or something like that.

Consider going for a Z97 and 4690K instead, if nothing else it'll delay the time before you need to make another 'what to upgrade' post.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm not really planning on overclocking. I can't really be bothered with it, to be honest. As I understand it, those two are aimed at overclockers?

And no, DDR2 ram costs the same as DDR3.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Depends on whether 'not planning to' is the same as 'strictly will not do'. Saving the money is fair enough in the latter case, but a 1GHz overclock, even if you don't do it anytime soon, might add a year or more to the effective lifetime of the machine before you need to upgrade again. But yeah, the K series is now the only overclockable variety of Intel CPU - unlike in the past, you can't do it at all with any other models.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm incredibly unlikely to overclock. I've never bothered trying it before and I can't see myself starting. I'm resenting spending the 300-odd pounds on it already, I can't justify the extra thirty or forty quid on capability that I *might* use, but almost certainly won't bother with.

*shrug*

Oh, it turns out the CPU is an E7400, but I'm guessing it's still way too old. I bought the old system in 2009, apparently. It's lasted surprisingly well.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Well going the other way then, you can save a little by going for a B85 motherboard, assuming you also don't plan to ever have more than one video card.

EDIT: Might need a BIOS update if you're unlucky and get a board manufactured before the Haswell refresh was released early this year.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

LGA1150 will support Broadwell, being the next release, but the next release, Skylake, will absolutely use a new socket. It's a business decision: people don't realistically upgrade on consecutive CPU generations, but it's in Intel's interest to ensure people buy a complete new platform every 'upgrade' (which is a word that is rapidly losing meaning). Drop-in CPU upgrades are effectively a dead concept, and given the noises about BGA packages coming to CPUs in the near future - i.e. CPUs coming soldered to boards - it's certainly the direction the industry is heading.

The Crossfire point is completely valid though.

EDIT: Indeed it's confirmed that Skylake will be on the LGA1151 socket. Yep, one extra pin, it's like they're taunting us.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 2 weeks later...

I have:

i7 2600 3.4ghz

8 gb DDR3 1600

6970 2gb

win 7

Served me well for nearly 4 years. Thinking of only getting a powerful new card either a 970 or cashing out for a 980. From what I've read neither my processor nor my PCI 2.0 motherboard should be bottlenecking anything but still doing research. Would really like to avoid basically getting a new build and hope I can squeeze out a few more years.

@Fighter - Yeah, Sandy Beidge will be good to go on the CPU side for some time to come.  To the best of my knowledge, even a GTX 980, which is the most powerful single GPU card on the market, won't get bottlenecked by PCIe  2.0, so you're good to go whether you get a 970 or a 980.  

Those new Maxwell cards are very impressive, not nearly enough for me to even entertain the idea of an upgrade, though, power savings (which are thoroughly impressive) aside.  My superclocked 780Ti will beat a vanilla 980 in most games.  Obviously, an overclocked 980 will beat my 780Ti, but not by nearly enough to warrant an upgrade.  I'm waiting for at least Pascal to upgrade.  For anyone upgrading from several generations ago or making a new system entirely, though, Maxwell makes all the sense in the world.  There is really no reason to buy a Kepler card any more, Maxwell has pretty much obsoleted them completely.

I'll be curious to see whether Pascal does indeed wind up being the introduction of 3D memory.  The features on Nvidia's roadmap have certainly gotten pushed back enough times (including of late) to warrant skepticism.  Still, if it happens, it should be a major step forward, though the 1st iteration will almost certainly not reap the full benefits.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Still waiting for components to arrive in my country... The processor and some mb's are available, but still no word on when ddr4 ram modules will arrive.

I guess if I waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

Edited by Sarex

Thanks for the feedback. I'm quiet happy I cashed out for my i7 back when it was 'unnecessary' to have an i7.

Also quiet happy that the new Nvidia cards are not more power hungry as this means my PSU doesn't need an upgrade either.

Edited by Fighter

Thanks for the feedback. I'm quiet happy I cashed out for my i7 back when it was 'unnecessary' to have an i7.

It still is, from a gaming perspective, anyways... :p Glad I only paid $100 for my i7-4770k.

Anyone have any idea how expensive the GTX 960 (or equivalent) will be? $150-$200 is my ideal price range for GPUs...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

There is, but it's not bad for innovation it seems: The manufacturing process is an issue, but until the smaller process nodes are viable, AMD and nVidia have to find other ways to keep the power dissipation of their cards under control while still delivering higher performance with newer cards.

nVidia showed one way to sucessfully do that recently with the launch of the GTX 970/980, with a more sophisticated and responsive power control (here) - they still spike up to 300W, but this is compensated immediately, so the average consumption is very appealing, unless overclocked. And possibly puts quite some strain on the PSU, I'd imagine ;)

AMD might come up with another way to deal with the issue, as rumors suggest, with "Fiji", there might be a new memory technology in use, allowing to severly reduce power loss and increase performance in this part of the GPU-equation. Also, better cooling of crucial components can help keep power consumption in check, as demonstrated with the 295x2, or anyone who put an aftermarket cooler on a Tahiti / Hawaii card.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#144hz_ips

"Below we bring you some news from AU Optronics about some of their forthcoming panels. Surely of most interest is a new 27" panel (M270DAN02.3) currently in development which will be based on AUO's AHVA panel technology, equivalent to LG.Display's IPS and with very similar performance characteristics. This is a 27" panel with a 2560 x 1440 resolution, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness, sRGB gamut and 178/178 viewing angles. Nothing special you might think - wrong! This will be the first IPS-type panel to natively support 144Hz refresh rate, something buyers have been crying out for for a long time! 144Hz AHVA and 2560 x 1440 resolution, we can't wait!"

10690206_10204044812976359_2002266576539