Xbox 720 Reveal

Microsoft are still refusing to deny that it requires permanent internet connectivity. It also locks out second hand games via online DRM. It also lacks the hardware edge for gaming, as they seem to have aimed for an all-singing, all-dancing entertainment platform.

Sony, OTOH, have announced that PS4 doesn't require online and you can play pre-owned games on it.

At this point in time, I'm afraid, the PS4 wins.

I'm quite interested in this, as I'm planning on getting my son a next-gen console for his birthday.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Monty, how many times do we have to tell you - the RC Sherman tank you keep in your closet isn't your son!

• Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

There's also been a supposed leaked internal Microsoft memo of what the new 'box should be able to do when offline, which includes watching blu-ray movies and playing single player games... so there's some info to the opposite there, as well. Always online would be an unnecessary annoyance since in my current (as described by Walsingham) Northern Exposure type abode I'm getting very regular dropouts. Re: locking to accounts, couldn't care less, I have just as little inclination to sell a game as to buy one that has already been pawed by one of the little monkies I see hanging around at the local Gamestop. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Obviously, my neural pathways aren't locked into the subconsciousness of the gaming hive mind like Morgie, but...

An article on the New XBox, link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/Xbox/10068979/The-next-Xbox-What-to-expect-from-the-720.html

Always online?
The elephant in the room. Rumours have been circulating for months that the Next Xbox will be ‘always online’. Though exactly what that means is unclear. It's unlikely that Microsoft would release a games console that refuses play single-player offline games if it wasn’t connected to the internet, but their silence on the issue has been deafening. There are murmuring of games needing to be at least ‘activated’ online with codes, which will effectively block second hand games from working. Broadly speaking, however, the ‘always online’ tag is more likely referring to the console’s ingrained connectivity. To a certain extent, the Xbox 360 already incorporates online functionality as a major function, so the chances are the Next Xbox simply sets connectivity front and centre rather than as an intrusive form of DRM. However, Microsoft need to tread carefully here and supply a clear, concise answer to the questions that ‘always online’ raises. Sony have already said that while connectivity is important to the PlayStation 4, they won’t block second hand games, and the machine will work just fine offline if you simply wish to play a single-player game. It could be a PR misfire if Microsoft take the opposite tack.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Back when the 360 was still under wraps, I have heard the name "Next-Box" being tossed around.

As for an always on console (or always on gaming for that matter), it's a future I have no doubt will come. However, it's a future that's a long, long, long ways off (not until broadband internet and the computer/router connectivity is as reliable as cable television and land-line phones are, which is to say the developed world at large is nowhere near that state). Hell, in the US there are kids who do their homework in McDonalds because they can get free high speed wi-fi there as opposed to the 56k garbage in their own homes.

That said, on the off chance the new Xbox does involve something like that (or as equally egregious), how Microsoft would spin it would put the motto "Peace is war, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength" to shame in terms of absurdity.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Watch Microsoft throw a curveball and wind up calling it Play System 4, that way there can be no confusion.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sony, OTOH, have announced that PS4 doesn't require online and you can play pre-owned games on it.

Wishful thinking. They have neither confirmed, nor denied this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-08-sony-definitively-rules-out-always-online-for-ps4

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thanks muchly mkreku.

By Robert Purchese Published Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Sony's suggested as much before, but now always-online has definitively been ruled out for PlayStation 4.

"Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it," Sony's affable Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, told GameInformer magazine (read by Gaming Everything).

It's OK Morgie, I don't do crow pie. Oooops!

27688469.jpg

I should stop getting my gaming news from a newspaper.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

ib2kALni9Kp7sN.png

LOL.  That's almost as hilarious as a system that loses money on every unit sold for about 3 1/2 years. #NotMicrosoftFanboy #NotSonyFanboy

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks