Xbox 720 Reveal

It was nice to play the Mario RPG for the SNES on my Wii. I missed that one, and didn't feel like paying a hundred or so dollars for it which I have still seen that cartridge for as of yesterday.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

That's nice and all, but I don't understand why people think it's an obligation to have backwards compatibility.

Would you have truly been heartbroken if you couldn't have played Mario RPG on your Wii?

It's not a worthless feature by any means, but given that it's not like I was playing my NES games on my SNES, I find the demand for it to be unreasonable.  It's like saying that Apple/Microsoft/Intel should be natively supporting my desire to play old PC games, which is something they haven't really been doing pretty much ever.  They support the last generation in part because the architecture can support it (we're still running on the x86 instruction set), and there's significant gains in people actually needing legacy support (especially for professional reasons), that prevents adoption.  And sorry gamers, but we're still smaller potatoes in terms of overall PC install base.

I'm of the opinion that the gamers that feel this is a barrier for are of a rather insignificant number.  Sony isn't exactly raking in the money off sales of older (and typically heavily discounted) games, and I find the idea that some would even do the piracy threat in response to be mostly just juvenile (then again, my stance on piracy is hardly a secret).  The PS3 itself was a loss leader, and sought to make money through the sales of PS3 games.  Selling PS2 games wasn't going to be much of a help for them in that regard.

Edited by alanschu

As a game developer you find everything that makes people in the industry work more unreasonable.

That's very reasonable of you, but I as a gamer think of it like this:

If the PS2 (and 3 to an extent) could do it, if each Nintendo console could do it, then everyone should do it and not invent bull**** reasons not to.

Gaming history is the history of pressure by publishers and developes on the consumer, justified by anti piracy measures. Each new generation is locked down tighter in more annoying ways, and offers less for the same amount of money.

You'd have to be blind not to notice it.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Lol, its practically the same thing in two different boxes.

Just found out by skimming through Zavvi - preorders for XBOne have turned up - priced at 400 pounds.

Likely to be 400 euros then.

Guess the PS4 could be around 500 then.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

It was just nice to have, especially in the case of the PS2, it allowed me to retire my PS1 into storage while I still continued to get more PS1 games. However, I also remember being ticked that my Saturn's slot wasn't for playing the Genesis games I still had left over, so I know it was something I wanted even back then. In this case, where the current systems have a tendency of having a very unreliable shelf life because of heat issues, there should be something in place so people can still play their games. Hopefully a good emulator pops up in a few years or so.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

in the future, you will have one entertainment computer in your home which does all of the stuff.

Even if true then it won't be the On3 in most cases, as it is a completely voluntary purchase. It'll be either a 'proper' computer or a device you already have like a phone or tablet- or the TV you already own. Is much of anyone, seriously, going to pay hundreds of dollars to get the On3's TV centric features plus pay additional monthly costs over what the cable/ channel providers charge when most of those features come bundled into your TV? Unlikely, gaming has to be the big selling point and it's been positively downplayed, and apart from WiiU the On3 looks to be the worst option there by a fair distance. And even worse, for all the emphasis MS put on TV etc at the launch they're US only features. No doubt they'll come to other places eventually, but as a launch item the thing you've gone overboard in emphasising doesn't even apply to 70% of the world market. It's the height of insularity- it's just moronic.

MS: hey everyone! You should turn your computer into a smartphone! Everyone: If we wanted a smartphone we'd buy one! And it wouldn't be a Win8 one...

MS: hey guys! Now you can pay extra to do stuff you can already do, just on our new Xbox! It might also play games, maybe! Everyone: ...

It may be some sort of unifying strategy at work but its implementation is just baffling. If you want to use win8 across multiple systems and 'synergise' them then do so, but don't do a half arsed job, don't go off on tangents and don't throw out the stuff that is done well to tilt at the Android/ iPhone/ smartTV windmills.

I don't blame them, Sony putting the CPU of the previous console into the next one was not going to be sustainable as they got more expensive and hotter. They also switched from Nvidia to AMD, the same reason the Xbox360 couldn't have backwards compatibility even if they wanted to implement it.

That's the great thing about PC, with the x86 instruction set compatibility with AMD64/x86-64 extension, Microsoft's steely stance on legacy support, and the hard work of modders, I can play my favourite games on new hardware. I'm fine with them charging for re-releasing good games though, as long as they don't suck. Sega's Genesis emulator is not great, and a lot of the HD remakes suck, while also being pretty expensive. Gaming would be a lot worse if I couldn't play my favourite games every year. I only played the original Deus Ex in 2009, I wouldn't have even known what I was missing.

I'm hoping with lots of games using the same engine, consoles moving to AMD64, this will make re-releases easier for the Xbox One and PS4. They could just port over the PC version, especially with the Xbox One that's using some form of Windows and DirectX. I think we can criticize publishers if they don't re-release games that are in demand because they want us to buy new games, it's sensible to decide to screw them and not buy their console and new games, that's consumer choice. They need us more than we need them.

Most people really don't care about BC anymore. And you only need to look at the Wii U to see how BC can go horribly wrong. The entire CPU has been compromised in favor of Wii BC.

If you wanna play PS3/360 games, well....buy a PS3/360. Expect cheaper refreshes of respective hardware being released this Fall anyway.

Edited by Morgoth

If you wanna play PS3/360 games, well....buy a PS3/360. Expect cheaper refreshes of respective hardware being released this Fall anyway.

Yup, and they don't break anymore either. Speaking of which, are we gonna see some more consoles RROD/YLOD-ing this genration?

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Speaking of which, are we gonna see some more consoles RROD/YLOD-ing this genration?

magic-8-ball_3.jpg

Though probably in far smaller quantities.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yup, and they don't break anymore either. Speaking of which, are we gonna see some more consoles RROD/YLOD-ing this genration?

Unlikely. Those 28nm AMD SoC designs are really excellent. Not to mention the overall power consumption will by far be lower than launch 360/PS3.  Also look at that massive cooler in those pictures. Bigger cooler = better air circulation & lower noise.

Edited by Morgoth

I skimmed the conference through in 10 minutes this morning, I kind of like how the COD game summarised the whole affair: "Now that we have next generation tech, we can implement things like LEANING and a DOG!" FFS...

I don't really care about gadgets like Occulus Rift, Kinect or other nonsense. But at the very least, mainstream games are going to be less compromised in terms of content creation.

Bigger maps, more NPCs, more everything that is relevant to improved gameplay and story-telling. That's the only thing I care about.

Mmh, I've found Microsoft's Illumiroom tech to be the first new cool thing since, well, forever, but it's not enough for me to buy their stalker camera and boxy ps3 design knockoff console... :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Let's face it - in the future, you will have one entertainment computer in your home which does all of the stuff.

The future? It's my present. I don't need a big TV bulking up my living space. Is there ever anything on it? For TV-series? Internet. Movies? Bluray/DVD on my PC. Why would I need a TV and console?

Yes, those console-exclusive games suck (I look at you Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption), but they are seriously not worth over $1000 off additional tech one has to buy for them.

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130522214715-10904058-the-technology-behind-xbox-one

Chief Technology Officer at Electronic Arts

"These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics. Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen."

Reminder #1: The Ignite engine they're using for FIFA 14 is XB1/PS4 exclusive, while the PC version uses the older FIFA 13 engine.

Reminder #2: The FIFA 14 demo showcased on stage was actually pre-rendered originally running on a PC.

Electronic Arts - Bull****ting everyone

Let's face it - in the future, you will have one entertainment computer in your home which does all of the stuff.

The future? It's my present. I don't need a big TV bulking up my living space. Is there ever anything on it? For TV-series? Internet. Movies? Bluray/DVD on my PC. Why would I need a TV and console?

Yes, those console-exclusive games suck (I look at you Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption), but they are seriously not worth over $1000 off additional tech one has to buy for them.

Funny, I'm almost the opposite at home. Seriously wondering why I need a computer there when I have a tv, ps3 and some other assorted little boxes (and a big one in the shape of a Pioneer HT amp). Sure, I have an obliging employer and a workplace I could hit with a snowball from home during the winter, but still. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Electronic Arts - Bull****ting everyone

Standard operating procedure, not just for them, but many publishers.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Because the PC has an overall larger catalog of games?

I'm not arguing, just saying.

A major damper on my console buying enthusiasm is that I have to buy an LCD/Plasma/LED TV. So I can't fork over a couple of hundred euros for a console and have piece of mind - it'll end up close to a 1000.

When you put it like that its either a 1000 for a top of the line PC or a 1000 for TV+console. Console might last longer on account of not needing to upgrade, but is harder to fix overall when something goes bad. Also console games are more expensive.

And apart from playing games I wouldn't watch that expensive TV much.