Want to shoot your Ex? The NRA has a doll for that..

alanschu

The NRA should be concerned about their image; for a group that claims to represent responsible gun owners, they're coming across like crackpot central. :wacko:

My guess is the current generation of 3D guns will prove to be a gimmick; plastic junk that won't hold up next to properly manufactured weapons.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If you wanted a scare weapon for robbing people then a plastic gun would work just fine.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The NRA should be concerned about their image; for a group that claims to represent responsible gun owners, they're coming across like crackpot central. :wacko:

Isn't that true for ANY group?

Extermist and negative and loud people stick out more.

Preconceptions exist and are everywhere.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

That you would even think that's how most NRA members are is utterly clueless on your part.

Education might help from time to time, but the anti-gunners are usually resistant to it as it contradicts so much of what they think they know. I've been a member of the NRA since '91, own several rifles, handguns, and shotguns and I damn well support my organization financially with the occasional check to the NRA-ILA over and above my membership dues. Libelous nonsense from the Rosbjergs of the world is nothing new, but it does rankle from time to time.

• Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Isn't that true for ANY group?

Extermist and negative and loud people stick out more.

Preconceptions exist and are everywhere.

Mmm... no. Members of the Society of Actuaries don't go on about prying pension reports from their cold, dead hands. :)

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Its stupid things like that that gives us gun owners a bad name, the NRA should know better.

The NRA has nothing to do with this. Just a bunch of guys who came up with something to sell.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Mmm... no. Members of the Society of Actuaries don't go on about prying pension reports from their cold, dead hands. :)

It would be funny if they did. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be funny of every group had a "cold, dead hands" phrase?

On topic: I don't like the NRA, I own guns and would benefit from the insurance benefits that come with a membership, but I have no desire to support any sort of lobbying organization on principle, especially one I disagree heavily with and am sometimes startled by what high-ranking members say.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That you would even think that's how most NRA members are is utterly clueless on your part.

Education might help from time to time, but the anti-gunners are usually resistant to it as it contradicts so much of what they think they know. I've been a member of the NRA since '91, own several rifles, handguns, and shotguns and I damn well support my organization financially with the occasional check to the NRA-ILA over and above my membership dues. Libelous nonsense from the Rosbjergs of the world is nothing new, but it does rankle from time to time.

Don't get down on Ros too much. Like a lot of folks on this board he does not have exposure to an opposing view on guns that we have here in the US. The truth is, if you are not exposed to an opposing view point you tend to believe what you hear the most of and often forget that it's propaganda that is politically motivated rather than any kind of real analysis.

Actually that's one of the things I like about this board. Most forums where politics is discussed tend to be pretty homogeneous is opinion. And most folks tend to hang around with folks who think pretty much like they do. There are not many places where you get an opposing point of view. I've already been banned by Free Republic & Democrat Underground and Liberty Post is populated with nimwits so this board has become one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Don't get down on Ros too much. Like a lot of folks on this board he does not have exposure to an opposing view on guns that we have here in the US. The truth is, if you are not exposed to an opposing view point you tend to believe what you hear the most of and often forget that it's propaganda that is politically motivated rather than any kind of real analysis.

Actually that's one of the things I like about this board. Most forums where politics is discussed tend to be pretty homogeneous is opinion. And most folks tend to hang around with folks who think pretty much like they do. There are not many places where you get an opposing point of view. I've already been banned by Free Republic & Democrat Underground and Liberty Post is populated with nimwits so this board has become one of my favorites.

Who would have thought a videogame forum would be a prime place to talk politics!

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You'd never think it would you! I think it's because we have a pretty stable list of board members. :lol:  

Thomas Sowell

You'd never think it would you! I think it's because we have a pretty stable list of board members. :lol:

True, and in Oby's case we have a pretty unstable board member.

Oby's pretty stable, I find.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On topic: I don't like the NRA, I own guns and would benefit from the insurance benefits that come with a membership, but I have no desire to support any sort of lobbying organization on principle, especially one I disagree heavily with and am sometimes startled by what high-ranking members say.

This pretty much describes my situation and feelings about the NRA

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's partly the stable membership, but it's also the age thing I think. Plus - if I may shamelessly flatter all concerned - I think Obsidian games attract a better kind of person as a fan.

Mind you, I shouldn't forget that Fionavar and the other mods do a tremendous job enforcing high standards of comportment, which makes it harder for situations to degrade.

Hmmm... sounded like a bloody Oscar speech there.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It would be funny if they did. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be funny of every group had a "cold, dead hands" phrase?

This is refreshing to read.  I have a hard time understanding how a story like the 5 year old who shot his 2 year old sister doesn't bring massive condemnation from a group like the NRA.  It would seem like the perfect time to step in and say the parents are doing everything wrong and educate people about how to prevent such tragedies in the future.  Really the NRA should be distancing itself from things like this bleeding target dummy and .22 rifles marketed for children.  

• Like 1

I think Obsidian games attract a better kind of person as a fan.

I should put that I play Obsidian games on my next resume!

I also agree, we tend to be deeper thinkers who appreciate good story telling rather than those mongrels who frequent such hellholes as IGN.

This is refreshing to read.  I have a hard time understanding how a story like the 5 year old who shot his 2 year old sister doesn't bring massive condemnation from a group like the NRA.  It would seem like the perfect time to step in and say the parents are doing everything wrong and educate people about how to prevent such tragedies in the future.  Really the NRA should be distancing itself from things like this bleeding target dummy and .22 rifles marketed for children.

Honestly what bothers me the most is that when writing an op-ed that appeared in my local newspaper, Ted Nuget referred to the NRA as the "good guys". Now I don't think that NRA members are bad people, I just think that referring to yourselves as "the good guys" makes it look like you think those who disagree are bad people. I'm not really fond of demonizing groups(except for Russians).

That said, the leadership not acknowledging things like you mentioned also rubs me the wrong way.

That you would even think that's how most NRA members are is utterly clueless on your part.. Libelous nonsense from the Rosbjergs of the world is nothing new, but it does rankle from time to time.

I have no problem with how you handle guns in Amercia - but remember that for me, growing up here, it's a very alien concept.. So I can't for the life of me understand why you would want lethal weapons in your house near your kids. I get that it's culture and you see guns very differently - but as you demand that I see it from your point, please see if from mine as well.

(and I was being a little zassy because I often get provoked by you rightwingers - but don't worry I mean it well)

Fortune favors the bald.

Honestly what bothers me the most is that when writing an op-ed that appeared in my local newspaper, Ted Nuget referred to the NRA as the "good guys". Now I don't think that NRA members are bad people, I just think that referring to yourselves as "the good guys" makes it look like you think those who disagree are bad people. I'm not really fond of demonizing groups(except for Russians).

That said, the leadership not acknowledging things like you mentioned also rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, but Ted Nugent is f'n nuts when he isn't talking about music, or life on the road as a musician. Or, he is still nuts, but it's just a very acceptable level of nuttiness when he talks about that stuff.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

So I can't for the life of me understand why you would want lethal weapons in your house near your kids. I get that it's culture and you see guns very differently - but as you demand that I see it from your point, please see if from mine as well.

Home Invasion

More recently, two paroled criminals were each charged with three counts of capital murder during a home invasion into the Petit family home in Cheshire, Connecticut on July 23, 2007. During the invasion, the mother died of asphyxiation due to strangulation and the two daughters died of smoke inhalation after the suspects set the house on fire. The men were charged with first-degree sexual assault, murder of a kidnapped person, and murder of two or more people at the same time. The state attorney sought the death penalty against the suspects.[25] The first defendant, Steven Hayes, was found guilty of 16 of 17 counts including capital murder on October 5, 2010 and on November 8, 2010 was sentenced to death. His co-defendant, Joshua Komisarjevsky, was convicted of all 17 counts against him in October, 2011. Both men were sentenced to death. (See Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders.)

Many U.S. states (particularly those that endorse the Castle Doctrine) include defending oneself against forcible entry of one's home as part of their definition of justifiable homicide without any obligation to retreat."

-Elwood Blues

And for everyone on of those you get one of these.. Your point being?

Father 'shot dead teenage daughter he thought was a burglar'

Collin Masilela, 49, was charged with murder after the 15-year-old schoolgirl died at the family's home.

Detectives said the father of one fired a shot into the dark late on Wednesday night when he heard noises in the garden and feared the house was being targeted by thieves.

He told officers he later realised he had actually shot dead his daughter as she returned home from a night out with friends. Police spokesman Leonard Hlathi said the man was arrested at the scene of the tragedy.

or this in America

An Alabama boy was shot in the head over the weekend when a practical joke went terribly wrong.

We can both find horror stories to support our claim - so why don't we just discuss without all the pathos.

Fortune favors the bald.

Well he did point out a reason you'd want some way to defend your home, I guess it depends on your area - back home people arm themselves due to criminals breaking in murdering you, heh.

Risks of shooting someone thinking they're an intruder, well that's why you should identify your target (he could have done the same beating her with a rolling pin or something else).

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My point wasn't the pathos. You asked to understand.

Speaking from my perspective I'll take my chances with teaching my kids not to be halfwits with deadly stuff. Better bet than someone else teaching their kids not to be rapist fruitcakes. :p

-Elwood Blues

My point wasn't the pathos. You asked to understand.

All right, in that case I do understand. But I personally always worry more about the chance of a weapon in the house doing damage to my family than the extreme off chance that some lunatic breaks in.

Fortune favors the bald.