Community Photo Sharing Thread

LadyCrimson

The dog is getting along quite well at the kennel but I can't wait to get back home

970832_10151557718493157_1425224156_n.jp

It's unlucky that's such a dull background. Because the interplay with the dogs is perfect.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Robber fly sucking the juice out of an unfortunate moth. (Sadly I had to decrease the file size and thus the quality of the pic. )

robberfly_zps5e4e4b83.jpg

A nightly visitor. 

oddbug1_zps94489720.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

(Sadly I had to decrease the file size and thus the quality of the pic. )

Heh, I get frustrated with that too ... I mean, I could upload giant uncompressed photos but I'm still old fashioned enough to worry about annoying people with loading them, and most people still don't like clicking links vs. embedding.

That "visitor" (cricket?) has an adorable face!

...the robber fly...ick. Makes me think of the Alien using its inner mouth to punch a hole in people's faces. :alienani: Nice capture, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know, my genuine reaction was: "Oh thank god. I thought it was raping the poor bastard."

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

...the robber fly...ick. Makes me think of the Alien using its inner mouth to punch a hole in people's faces. :alienani: Nice capture, tho.

I think the ''visitor'' belongs to the family of the wood borer beetle, it was way larger than it looks on the photo, about 3/4 of the size of my index finger and it was equipped with strong looking mandibles, perfect for gnawing wood.

Yeah, the robber fly is pretty brutal, it injects tissue-dissolving chemicals into the still living prey which makes it even worse than the Alien
Like making a smoothie and then drinking it with a straw. :w00t:

Edited by Woldan

(Sadly I had to decrease the file size and thus the quality of the pic. )

Heh, I get frustrated with that too ... I mean, I could upload giant uncompressed photos but I'm still old fashioned enough to worry about annoying people with loading them, and most people still don't like clicking links vs. embedding.

What I used to do, before auto-resizing and before big download allowances, was to upload two images, and use the smaller one as the embed that would link to the larger one when clicked. e.g.

[url=http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj404/Michael_Ab/robberfly_zps5e4e4b83.jpg][/url]
Like so: :alienani:

Probably totally unnecessary these days.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Just returned from an alpine camping trip.

I spent most of the time above 3000 meters, at that altitude air pressure drops down to about 65% which gets very noticeable when you climb with a 18 kg backpack strapped to your back for hours or when sleeping. 

Also the temperature up there was barely above freezing all the time with strong cold winds, despite the hot summer temperatures at sea level.

Pics:

Small glacial lake. There are two hikers on the left patch of snow. Unfortunately the water wasn't good for refilling my plastic bottles or for a small bath, it was full of alga. 

mt7_zpse9e6dba3.jpg

View from a mountain top 3550 m / 11650 ft above sea level.

mt1_zps7aa88298.jpg

Small tough plants using cracks in large rocks as natural shelter from the harsh climate. The extremely scarce vegetation up there needs to create its own micro climate in order to survive. 

mt3_zps53b3a5bd.jpg

Sunset in the mountains.

mt5_zpsfeee872d.jpg

My tent, set up at 3100 m / 10170 ft. Its damn hard to find a level not rocky and safe spot that offers some degree of wind protection at that altitude. Makes the search for the holy grail look easy in comparison.

mt2_zps914b376c.jpg

It might be small but it has all the comforts I need. 

mt4_zps6b1a9bad.jpg

Thats me and my trusty pair of legs which helped me to drag a total of 115kg or 253 lbs up and down those peaks. 

mt6moi_zps9516eaca.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

Looks like a beautiful place to hike!

I love the mountains more than anything else, but if the weather gets bad (which can happen in only a couple of minutes) you suddenly find yourself in the worst and most dangerous place you can possibly be.

Everything has its drawback...

you suddenly find yourself in the worst and most dangerous place you can possibly be.

Katie Price's underwear drawer?

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

I'm jealous, I love hiking.. My last trip was Norway some years ago where we walked over a gletcher.

qww0.jpg

2v86.jpg

Can you use the lifts or do you actually hike all the way up from the valleys?

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Can you use the lifts or do you actually hike all the way up from the valleys?

I have the option of using a chairlift that shortens my trip to the peaks by 500 meters (altitude), but I only use them when I'm having a tight schedule because of impending bad weather or when I'm injured. It always feels like cheating and acclimatization suffers noticeably when you go up that quickly.

The glacier hike looks pretty cool, where is it located?

Edited by Woldan

It always feels like cheating and acclimatization suffers noticeably when you go up that quickly.

The glacier hike looks pretty cool, where is it located?

Well the first 500m aren't that interesting and why not spend the hour or so in tougher and prettier landscape anyway.

It's in Finse, Norway, but I think the glacier has receeded a lot in the mean time unfortunately.

Fortune favors the bald.

Gorgeous. And I like the tent setup. It's not small....it's cozy. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think campers built those stone circles around their tents to avoid getting trampled or bothered by grazing cows. Cows absolutely hate stepping on wobbly stones and unstable ground.

At one point cows were a indeed problem, three very curious specimen decided to inspect my stuff, stepped on my tent, sucked on my backpack ate my apple chips and demanded head-patting. Even though I'm quite strong it was exhausting to push those 800kg meat piles away from my camping site for half an hour. (And they had large pointy horns, too.)

Gorgeous. And I like the tent setup. It's not small....it's cozy. :)

With 185 cm I barely fit in the tent let alone move around in it, but its wonderfully easy to carry because of its small size and light weight. :yes:

Edited by Woldan

One advantage of my being so small...backpacking-weight gear was still plenty "large" enough. I never tried to/couldn't have carried that much weight, tho ... my trips were largely in the Sierra's at a reasonable 6k feet. Didn't need much.

The cow incident would have made a funny video. Great story. :lol:

Yeah, camping and mountain hiking is pretty unfair and sexist, backpacks for extended trips weigh around 18kg no matter how large or small you are. Thats 1/3 of the weight of a regular woman and only less than 1/5 of my own weight.