Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter

C2B

Okay Flemish, I was unsure of the accent. Thanks for the information :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Larian is a Belgian company from Genk, but there work people from all across Europe/the world. :yes:

Btw that's the weresheep wallpaper for Divinity: Original Sin which was made by me:

i4jtdi.jpg

That's ****ing awesome!

:bow:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Larian is a Belgian company from Genk, but there work people from all across Europe/the world. :yes:

They're from Gent (en: Ghent) actually (the difference is ~150km ;) ) a city you definitely should to visit if you ever find yourself in Belgium (disclaimer: I might be biased as I live there).

• Like 2

*watches video/s*

This game seems more and more awesome all the time. Love the sheepie too, nice work LordCrash/all. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They're from Gent (en: Ghent) actually (the difference is ~150km ;) ) a city you definitely should to visit if you ever find yourself in Belgium (disclaimer: I might be biased as I live there).

Nice, I was in Belgium last year for Tomorrowland. Awesome country, great food and friendly people :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm sorry, mate. But it was only a typo (though a bad one).....  ;)

35167v4.jpg

I had never played Divine Divinity, and just stumbled upon Larian Studios and this game, and I was sold on it pretty darn quick. Why? Mod Editor like NWN/NWN2's, and a great turn-based reactive isometric game. Until PE comes out, this will be my bread and butter.

Keyrock: Yep, that update is hilarious and very revealing of what kind of game DoS is. I recommend it to all CRPG-lovers out there. :)

EDIT: I also picked up the HD-enhanced Divine Divinity on Steam recently, and it's really great.

Larian was selling the Divinity Anthology recently, the boxed version certainly was worth it, whether the digital one is worth it is a personal choice of course. I do know their margin on the box was pretty much nil though.

Nice, I was in Belgium last year for Tomorrowland. Awesome country, great food and friendly people :)

Awesome, that's like right where our company's office is (alas, no free tickets ...  :(  )

I'm sorry, mate. But it was only a typo (though a bad one).....  ;)

I forgive ye this one time, blasphemer! But only because of the awesome sheep! ;)

• Like 2

All good stretch goals, although I'm a little surprised some of these weren't already in the game since it has been under development. I guess it shows they really do need the kickstarter to improve the game.

There once was a gent from Gent...

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I like companions. Must...reach....800k.....

Despite the tax month loose-funds crunch, I might yet find a little more spare change in my pocket for this one, before the end of its run.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This kickstarter really deserves some more love.  I mean for god's sake they've got way more than the typical high concept stuff you usually see (didn't stop me from backing P:E or Torment of course).  This game is practically already playable from the looks of things.

Swen and David have done a great job of interacting in the comments section on the kickstarter page and Swen's blog are larian's website is very unvarnished and forthright.

In any case, really hoping this can make it to 1 million, I think they could really make something special here.  And god knows we could all use more good RPGs after so many console-ized pieces of poo foisted on to us since the advent of the Xbox 360 and PS3 started to really dominate game development.

• Like 1

Update 8: Announcements, Single Player and Dropping In, Talents and Traits

One of the best updates so far, riddled with references to and quotes from other games and literature, have fun. :)

Cool update.  The fact that they mentioned that you can play as two male or two female characters hopefully also means that I can change their roles.  Hopefully this means that rather than having a buff dude warrior covered in armor and a sultry vixen ranger showing skin and cleavage, I can have a female warrior covered in armor and a dashing male ranger showing of skin and ...  I'll leave that to the imagination.  Anyway, if the system is anything like Divine Divinity, then the starting "profession" won't have much bearing on the game other than starting stats and I'll be able to build both characters any way I want to, that's what I'm expecting, anyway.  Hopefully the armor sets for female character will include actual functional armor, rather than just leather bikini, chain bikini, plate bikini, and Princess Leia style bikini with comically massive single pauldron.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

One of the best updates so far, riddled with references to and quotes from other games and literature, have fun. :)

Cool update.  The fact that they mentioned that you can play as two male or two female characters hopefully also means that I can change their roles.  Hopefully this means that rather than having a buff dude warrior covered in armor and a sultry vixen ranger showing skin and cleavage, I can have a female warrior covered in armor and a dashing male ranger showing of skin and ...  I'll leave that to the imagination.  Anyway, if the system is anything like Divine Divinity, then the starting "profession" won't have much bearing on the game other than starting stats and I'll be able to build both characters any way I want to, that's what I'm expecting, anyway.  Hopefully the armor sets for female character will include actual functional armor, rather than just leather bikini, chain bikini, plate bikini, and Princess Leia style bikini with comically massive single pauldron.

It's already confirmed that the game will be completely classless. So there are no predefined roles for your two characters, you can choose your skills and stats completely free when starting a new game. Larian only chose to crreate two defined characters for the gameplay presentations. ;)

And Larian also stated that there will be "real" armor for females. :)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

There actually was some uproar over the female's cover art clothing on Larian's forums. I haven't played Divine Divinity (yet) but in Divinity 2 female characters have "real" armor. I guess it's a bit unfortunate they decided to go the populist route with the cover art. Then again, I always think of leather thieves "armour" more as comfortable clothing than real armour, and some cleavage is definitely going to pay off when running into a male guard... (better hope he's not gay though ;) might just backfire in that case)

On a related note I always think it's funny how people really can't roleplay a female character but have no issues roleplaying orcs, demons, elves, fae or whatever...as long as they are the same gender as the player playing them... A discussion about this is what resulted in the "you can play whatever gender you want" announcement. I'm not sure I'm really happy about them giving in on this front, it was already possible to have the "other" character be controlled by the AI (so it'd just be another henchman in dialogues etc, still fully controllable in combat of course) and I worry that accounting for two same gender characters might have an impact on storytelling.

Edited by marelooke

Yes and Tyris Flare should be taking off her brassiere if Ax Battler's got to go shirtless, fair's fair.

How sad that I remember their names.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm not sure I'm really happy about them giving in on this front, it was already possible to have the "other" character be controlled by the AI (so it'd just be another henchman in dialogues etc, still fully controllable in combat of course) and I worry that accounting for two same gender characters might have an impact on storytelling.

I'm planning to play with my same-gender partner (the two-player option is the most exciting aspect of the game, IMAO) and getting to choose both our characters' genders is a definite bonus. The interaction between the characters is supposed to be very flexible anyway, so impact on storytelling should be negligible.

But you want the male armor to show skin? I guess everyone has their cross to bear.

I believe in equal opportunities.

Golden_Axe_Coverart.png

Wow thats a trip down memory lane, I am not sure but do you think women could vote in those days ?

:)

John Milton