Cyprus Financial Crisis, a real collapse possible?

BruceVC

Hi All

I have been following this story closely as it has quickly became a crisis for Cyprus

In summary the Cyprians need a bailout, about 10 Billion Euros, to prevent banks and financial institutions from failing. The Cyprian parliament rejected the loans terms from the EU as this loan had the condition that there would be a tax on all people who had deposited money into any Cyprian banks. I can understand this, but the EU wants to tax the money of wealthy Russians who have hidden Billions of Euros in Cyprian banks. Anyway the EU has now given Cyprus till Monday to agree to the bailout terms or it will cancel any current funding that is keeping Cyprus alive. If this happens the Cyprus economy will collapse. See the link below for an informative summary of the crisis

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/aebf3e16-913b-11e2-b4c9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2OFzlNjCv

What do you guys think, are you worried this could impact other EU countries or do you now think its time countries were kicked out the EU for not managing there economies? I'm sure we have some Cyprian members on this forum, I know Melk lives there sometimes. To be fair to Cyprus part of there financial issues are caused by the fact there banks had massive investments in Greece, and we all know the Greek story

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, sucks when you try to make a profit off corruption. The Greek system that was, was almost as corrupt as the Berlusconi government (funny story, Danish journalists found a Danish railroad train that had mysteriously disappeared, despite being bought and paid through Danish tax payer money. Turned out that Berlusconi had given it to Ghadaffi as a gift to celebrate his 40th anniversary as a dictator).

I think they will moan and whinge and try to blackmail EU for a while to avoid having to touch those Russian money laundering accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if the kickback and bribes are substantial and the government officials wouldn't want to miss out on it.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, sucks when you try to make a profit off corruption. The Greek system that was, was almost as corrupt as the Berlusconi government (funny story, Danish journalists found a Danish railroad train that had mysteriously disappeared, despite being bought and paid through Danish tax payer money. Turned out that Berlusconi had given it to Ghadaffi as a gift to celebrate his 40th anniversary as a dictator).

I think they will moan and whinge and try to blackmail EU for a while to avoid having to touch those Russian money laundering accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if the kickback and bribes are substantial and the government officials wouldn't want to miss out on it.

"train that had mysteriously disappeared"

:grin: I know its not funny but that must have really irritated Danish taxpayers

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well maybe it's time northern Europe goes its separate way, I've always wanted to se a Scandinavian union rather than a European one, a France/Germany union would be a powerhouse and then the British could also do what they want - as a major player in their own Commonwealth. I also think southern Europe would do fine on it's own - if their people aren't paying taxes the corrupt officials won't have any power - as it is now northern Europe is essentially funding corruption in the south.

Of course taking European history in to account, this would risk a future war between north and south..

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I think if Cyprus falls it will tempt Greece to default also and after that...I dont know, maybe a domino effect on the PIIGS.

Cyprus does have an out though, seems they are willing to sell oil resources to Russia for the 10B loan.

This doesn't seem like an option anymore. The Russians aren't interested in the natural gas, not oil, that can be found in Cyprus. And to compound the woes of Cyprus I now see that Russia has said they won't be bailing out the Cyprians as its not a good investment. Geeeeee thats a surprise, Russia not helping out another country when they have nothing really to gain :rolleyes:

John Milton 

What would scare the rest off?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why not just tax the Russian Billionaires? 

Even though that makes sense if they just singled out the Russians if would be seen as discrimination and there credibility as a reliable investment country would be effected. Also the Russians own about 30 % of all the money in the banks in Cyprus so they wouldn't want to annoy them.  What has been suggested is a tax on any deposit over 100k Euros. So that shouldn't impact the average person

John Milton 

Why not just tax the Russian Billionaires? 

Even though that makes sense if they just singled out the Russians if would be seen as discrimination and there credibility as a reliable investment country would be effected. Also the Russians own about 30 % of all the money in the banks in Cyprus so they wouldn't want to annoy them.  What has been suggested is a tax on any deposit over 100k Euros. So that shouldn't impact the average person

On the other hand a lot of the Russian that invest in Cyprus are rumored to be either involved with shady dealings or with the government (or both) so they aren't likely to make much fuss if they fear any backlash from the Russian government. 

Of course, that is sort of an educated guess.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Don't imagine it's that simple.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, the same people who always benefit from unions, especially monetary unions- the strongest players. The Euro is brilliant for Germany as the weaker countries keep it low relative to what it should be if they were still on the DM, but it's terrible for a weak economy as it's artificially high for them and they have to compete against the Germans with their advantages. All Germany is doing with their current 'largesse' is returning some of the money they siphoned out in the first place, while making sure that even more money flows to them. After all, who's going to keep their money in a PIIGSCSBRHELL account rather than a German one when Merkel will feel free to dip into your savings there whenever convenient? Far better to put your money into a nice safe place like, say, Germany.