Problem with new PC

Katphood

Hi fellas!

I have recently bought this new PC and I have connected it to the tv using a HDMi cable.

These are my specs: 

M5A97-LE R2 Asus 

AMD 6200 6 core 3.80 Ghz

AMD Radeon 7770  1 GB Sapphire Ghz Edition

Acbel 560 W

Cruise RAM 1600 4 GB

Seagate 1 TB  HDD

LG LED 32"           

Rapoo wireless mouse & keyboard

Windows 7 Ultimate

Now, almost everytime I try to copy a file that is bigger than 3 or 4 GB from the USB stick to the HDD  I suddenly get this screen and I am forced to restart:

errorpic.jpg

I have checked the hardwares and everything seems to be installed properly and I thought might be a good idea to ask for advice before messing with the BIOS caching or shadowing options.

Another problem that I have which think might also be related to this, is that every once in awhile, the screen goes black for a split second and everything returns to normal again.

Any sort of help will be appreciated.
Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Google comes up with a conflict with Windows and Anti-Virus/Firewall software. If you have some running try turning it off, if it fixes it uninstall and use Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Firewall.

My previous 8 year old PC was throwing up STOP: 0x000000D1 before it completely died, but it wasn't the NETIO.SYS file, I believe the motherboard chipset was the culprit (the network and audio chips had gone a couple of years previously, replaced with PCI cards), I was getting all sorts of corruption problems. So worst case scenario, it's your RAM or chipset although you only usually get these problems in really new or old PCs.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Google comes up with a conflict with Windows and Anti-Virus/Firewall software. If you have some running try turning it off, if it fixes it uninstall and use Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Firewall.

My previous 8 year old PC was throwing up STOP: 0x000000D1 before it completely died, but it wasn't the NETIO.SYS file, I believe the motherboard chipset was the culprit (the network and audio chips had gone a couple of years previously, replaced with PCI cards), I was getting all sorts of corruption problems. So worst case scenario, it's your RAM or chipset although you only usually get these problems in really new or old PCs.

I don't have any anti-virus softwares installed and my rig is about a month old. Could it be that either my chipset or RAM are dud?

Reboot. Turn off any networking related programs. Try stopping any non-essential services and programs running in the background.

These problems don't usually come out of the blue. Have you or have you let WIndows update your LAN/WLAN drivers? You can check at Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\View update history and Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Device Manager\Network adapters\[adapter name], properties/driver, roll back driver. If that doesn't work then try updating the LAN/WLAN drivers, they could be corrupted.

Some rootkits can cause these problems, install Microsoft Security Essentials and run a scan.

You would expect to have these problems immediately if it was a hardware problem, unless you've installed new hardware or touched anything inside the computer. You'd also expect to have other problems such as file corruption, and not associated with a specific device drivers, You can test memory with Memtest86 or Memtest86+, it's on most Linux liveCDs e.g. Ubuntu and Knoppix.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

If you want to see exactly what's causing the issue then enable Windows to create a dump file

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

When it crashes this dump file show you what caused the problem.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Usually indicates bad RAM or bad HDD (if your system is installed correct and drivers up to date).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I did a few things:

1.Tested the RAM with memtest and it seems to be ok.

2.Tried copying large files in safe mode to see if the problem occurs again. It sorta did. Windows froze for a few seconds and then I got an error message that said that the files on my USB stick no longer exist! I checked it out and it was empty, but then I double checked the USB with my laptop but the files were still there.

3.Updated windows last night but the screen still flickers every once in awhile.

Now, I'm gonna do what BruceVC suggested and I'm also going to install MSE. Let's see where this goes.

Also+ thanks for the tips people :)

Edited by Astiaks

Not really advice as such, but the motherboard specs indicate that some of your USB ports run off the AMD chipset natively while the USB 3.0 ports have a third-party controller. Does the error occur either way? Bear in mind it implies different drivers for each set as well.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not really advice as such, but the motherboard specs indicate that some of your USB ports run off the AMD chipset natively while the USB 3.0 ports have a third-party controller. Does the error occur either way? Bear in mind it implies different drivers for each set as well.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to test different USB ports. I'll get right on it as soon as the MSE update is done(yes, the internet is THAT slow where I live!).

Hmm.. Could it be that there is some 32bit involved somewhere in the process? OS or maybe even some format related FAT or FAT32?

You mean there is something wrong with the way the OS is installed?

Btw, I was going to do a HDD test. I did check for errors with one of the tools in windows and everything seemed to be fine, but I also came across these tools:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

http://hddscan.com/

Would you guys recommend them?

Edited by Astiaks

Yep, something like what Spider suggests.

4GB is just a bit too close to the limitations of 32bit for me think it's entirely coincidental, which could be related to a 32bit OS or FAT32 or some other 32bit driver issue. Also notice you only got 4GB RAM, which seems a little odd for a 64bit system, so maybe it's all related somehow.

(Signatures: disabled) 

I wouldn't have thought so. File systems work differently to registers with memory, I was running a 32bit OS on my previous PC and with NTFS and it handled 4GB files just fine, as long as it's NTFS (or ext3/4 etc...) then it should be fine. If the USB stick was formatted in FAT32 then the file wouldn't go on there in the first place, and Astiaks checked on a different computer and said it was working fine.

It's probably worth running checkdisk, select properties on the partition with Windows on, and click error checking under the tools tab. It will probably ask to reboot. If the BSOD keeps referring to the same file either the system files are corrupt, or more likely there's a driver conflict/corruption either caused my a an update, malfunctioning HDD, bad luck, or virus. Might be worth checking SMART on the HDD, I use the manufacturers tools or Ubuntu LiveCD.

Download and install the latest wireless and wired network drivers for your chipset.

Downloaded and installed DriverMax 7. It says that 13 drivers aren't up to date on my machine, most of them USB/PCI related  :facepalm:

The only problem is that the Free Edition of DriverMax only allows you to update only 2 drivers each day.

I also tried my luck with checkdisk and the C drive had some corrupted files which were fixed/replaced.

Edited by Astiaks

The part about checkdisk finding corrupt files is a very bad sign. In fact, the initial posting and that one about checkdisk sound like a dying hard disk drive.

And, maybe, USB drivers. Downloadable from the same place AwesomeOcelot provided a link to.

[ot]argh, I can't work with the new "quote"-system...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

File corruption is to be expected on a system that's getting BSOD. You can check the health of a HDD by using a SMART utility like the one built into Ubuntu. The majority of times when checkdisk finds corruption won't be for a dying HDD, bad memory, crashes, buggy software, and viruses can cause corruption. Also HDD have a tolerance for failure, they will mark areas that are bad so they don't use them, so even if it is the HDD it can still recover.

If it is the HDD and SMART is reading healthy then backing up important files and completely formatting, reinstalling Windows would remedy the situation.

I went through a ton of stuff when I had chkdsk/corrupt files...and in the end it was the HDD. Formatting didn't fix it, the whole disc was essentially slowly failing, vs. having a few tiny ignorable holes, so to speak. This wasn't a really old HDD, either. Probably the first time I've had one go kaput like that on me. :)

There may be many reasons why you could get such an error, but seems like the HDD is an easy thing to test/replace to see if that does solve the issue, before pulling your hair out on hunting for mysterious other reasons (like I did, gah).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I did an error scan with HD Tune Pro and it didn't find any bad sectors. I also did a health test with HD Tune Pro and I found something interesting: 

error12n.jpg

Damaged cable?

I also googled a bit and it seems that the problem might also have something to do with a reallocated sector. Some users had reported that a new windows installation had solved their problem. Gotta download Crystal Disk Info and double check on that. 
Edited by Astiaks

I went through a ton of stuff when I had chkdsk/corrupt files...and in the end it was the HDD. Formatting didn't fix it, the whole disc was essentially slowly failing, vs. having a few tiny ignorable holes, so to speak. This wasn't a really old HDD, either. Probably the first time I've had one go kaput like that on me.

Yeah, my Samsung F3 1TB died after 12 months, I keep backups of everything now on 4TB. Formatting won't fix damage to the HDD, software like SpinRite might. If there's a problem with the HDD then the first signs can be corruption detected in chkdsk that keeps getting worse, but it's usually quite gradual.

SMART should tell you if there's a problem with the drive. Also with Samsung and Seagate drives you can use SeaTools for Windows that will scan the drive making sure data can be read and written without a problem.

I did an error scan with HD Tune Pro and it didn't find any bad sectors. I also did a health test with HD Tune Pro and I found something interesting: 

error12n.jpg

Damaged cable?

I also googled a bit and it seems that the problem might also have something to do with a reallocated sector. Some users had reported that a new windows installation had solved their problem. Gotta download Crystal Disk Info and double check on that.

The "health test" is the SMART data that's the diagnostic running on the HDD hardware. Yes, it's the cable, try reseating the cable plugging it in and out at both ends, if it doesn't solve it replace it. Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Update:

I am now 95% sure that the problem is solved...sorta. I googled around a bit and someone suggested that the sata 3 controller on the mobo might be the problem. I switched the cable to the right sata 3 controller and my HDD was reinstalled. I tried transfering large data with two different USB sticks on two different USB ports and it worked.  So could this mean that one of my sata controllers on the mobo is dud?! Should I return the mobo for a new one?!