EA lives in a different reality

NOK222

I love paying for DLC for products I support. A prime example of this is the array of DLC/ digital expansions for CK2 and other Paradox games (I find myself immensely enjoying small, banal things like additional game music, for example).

If PE is the old-school RPG I hope it is, I will look forward to pay for heaps of additional content for it as well.

In games such as SC2, I fully support the practice of releasing customization stuff like skins to buy if it's financially sound for Blizzard. D3's auction house however is a travesty. 

Now this system of paying to get an in-game advantage in singleplayer (or even worse, in multiplayer) is ****. I won't pay a single penny for a game employing that principle.

EA and the other "usual suspects" mentioned in this thread only produce **** nowadays anyway, so I don't care a lot about what they do. Actually, I also haven't bought any Bioware game since the disappointment that was NWN. I'm pretty strict about not buying from companies I don't like. On the other hand, ironically, I buy all Bioware's new games on console as christmas presents for my younger brother, in the vain hope that he will one day become a CRPG fan and get into the older, classy games. :shrugz:

If you have it already try Dragon Age:Origins. It no BG2, but its not a bad game.

I'm not even strictly against microtransactions. But that's not just microtransactions. If they'd had a way to buy what I wanted (and not used those stupid Bioware points), I would have even considered giving them money to support extra content. But it's a lottery. Which is a step too far in my opinion.

It's a lottery because of the presence of microtransactions. It's obnoxious intentionally because of the presence of microtransactions. The game was designed to maximize profits from microtransactions. As I said in my earlier post, this is not a game they made and then added microtransactions afterward for people who might like that, the entire game was designed around having them there. You cannot divorce the game from that mechanic.

It's a lottery because people will pour more time into it and because random 'drops' is a proven mechanic to motivate people. The first two Diablo games and World of Warcraft have both used random items and they've done much better than if they just gave you what you wanted.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

So the usual EA is bad, get your pitchforks ready thread.

Move on. EA likes money, EA will do anything for money, nothing new here.

Now this system of paying to get an in-game advantage in singleplayer is ****. I won't pay a single penny for a game employing that principle.

I don't get this. What is so bad about this? Is it something I would use? No, but it doesn't effect me in any way.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I don't get this. What is so bad about this? Is it something I would use? No, but it doesn't effect me in any way.

One set of players is going to get a badly balanced game. So far it's mostly been the people who pay more but that's probably going to change, some single player games have apparently followed the multiplayer free-to-play models in having a needless boring grind that you can buy your way out of. It's complicated when the unbalanced things you can buy look better, they come bundled with fun things, or come bundled with the GOTY/ultimate edition. A lot of these things would have been available in a console, it incentivises getting rid of command lines, and actively discouraging modding. It's just bad game design all round, this produces worse games.
  • Like 2

It's a lottery because people will pour more time into it and because random 'drops' is a proven mechanic to motivate people. The first two Diablo games and World of Warcraft have both used random items and they've done much better than if they just gave you what you wanted.

World of Warcraft and Team Fortress also combine random items with token systems so you can buy what you want, crafting so you can buy what you want with an alternate currency, and some form of trading so you can trade for what you want.

They're proven mechanics to make people feel like they have power over their progression and that it's not all a grind that exists solely to keep them playing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Didn't Diablo3 get HUGE amounts of flack it's loot system? As did KOTOR 2 until the first patch.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's another thing to literally state something like how BioWare or EA need to die.

EA needs to die, the fill the market with a wave of crap and lower everyone's standards. They've publicly stated they want to be the biggest. that's their mission statement. not the best, the biggest.

They are buying up shelf space and clogging up the system. they buy up companies which produce gems and then with their Midas touch, turn it into ****-gold. Those companies inevitably go bankrupt, by the way. They completely fail to understand the concept of artistic merits, and the artists who work for them are kept to slave labour contracts which causes them to be worn out psychologically by the time a product goes to market.

They are a monster. And the day they file for bankruptcy, which I'm convinced eventually they will, will be a good day for game lovers across the globe.

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

"EA needs to die, the fill the market with a wave of crap and lower everyone's standards."

They have more awesome games than any othe rpublisher evar. That's a fact, jack, and don't let your lies cloud the judgement.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"EA needs to die, the fill the market with a wave of crap and lower everyone's standards."

I'm glad you agree.
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Your reply is illogical and doesn't make sense at all. Are you drunk perchance?

You're the one who said "EA needs to die, the fill the market with a wave of crap and lower everyone's standards." and I agree.

Are you unaware how to use the quote feature?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You must be high.

I use the REAL quote feature. "x" is how quoting is done. None of this fake quoting nonsense that the internet has dumbed down for the peons. Not my fault you don't know how to read quotes properly and now you falt out lie. I never wrote that so don't make stuff up.

It's true, there's notabl elack of typos in stuff Volo quotes, so he clearly uses Ctrl+C/ Ctrl+V rather than transcribing it himself.

:grin:

Funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You must be high.

I use the REAL quote feature. "x" is how quoting is done. None of this fake quoting nonsense that the internet has dumbed down for the peons. Not my fault you don't know how to read quotes properly and now you falt out lie. I never wrote that so don't make stuff up.

Okay that also made me laugh, good one :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You must be high.

Hey you're the one that typed it. Don't blame me because you won't back it up.
  • Like 2

My personal disgust with EA comes from the fact that they ruined, helped to ruin and destroyed a lot of my favorite studios. At the same time they managed to turn several successful and famous franchizes into a laughing stock. So for me, the best way of action will be EA bankruptcy. It's not like there will be no more games without EA.

Not bad, when implemented correctly. It is wrong when its being handled for free - EAWare started to  do it since Dragon Age: Origins with free friendship items and free equipment. I would understand position when, for example, new store is added, like Black Emporium, but then they started to hand items for free. DS suffered from such issues as well, when you started with every weapon and ****load of resources from the beginning.

MzpydUh.gif

So the usual EA is bad, get your pitchforks ready thread.

Move on. EA likes money, EA will do anything for money, nothing new here.

Now this system of paying to get an in-game advantage in singleplayer is ****. I won't pay a single penny for a game employing that principle.

Obviously it's completely game-changing in multiplayer. What if Starcraft 2 players could pay to start with 100 additional minerals? The online scene would turn to **** immidiately.

In singleplayer, it's more of a psychological thing. Depending on how the game is balanced it might also affect gameplay.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

"do it since Dragon Age: Origins with free friendship items and free
equipment. I would understand position when, for example, new store is
added, like Black Emporium, but then they started to hand items for
free. DS suffered from such issues as well, when you started with every
weapon and ****load of resources from the beginning."

DA is SP. What items people use in their own game is up to them and doesn't effect you. If youd ecide to use the items in questions that is your choice.

As for MP, there are lots of items in the game, no biggie. Of course professional game companies are there to make money - if they don't make money... just ask Troika what happens then....

You must be high.

have you no eyes?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I bet Volourn posts on the forums via Lynx as well, he's that hardcore.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You must be high.

have you no eyes?

I actually have two of them.

I was poking fun at the way the volo responds to people, by using quotation marks without identifying the speaker. Using the volo method, it looks like someone is talking to themselves.

• Like 1

Obviously it's completely game-changing in multiplayer. What if Starcraft 2 players could pay to start with 100 additional minerals? The online scene would turn to **** immidiately.

I edited out the part about MP, because I get that pay to win isn't necessarily fair. But again it doesn't bother me. (Mainly since I don't play MMOs)

In singleplayer, it's more of a psychological thing. Depending on how the game is balanced it might also affect gameplay.

It doesn't need to be balanced because the user has a choice in it's use. If the player buys/obtains(from pre-order) a cheat, it's their own fault they break the game in it's use.

It doesn't effect us.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif