obyknven

Russians are very interesting folk.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In this blog foreigners whining about terrible Russia.

http://blackinrussia.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/a-ghanaian-medical-students-experience-in-st-petersburg/

Now I have lived here for more than 5 years and I’m used to the system. Unfortunately, I have encountered rude people after rude people! While I will not deny that there are very nice people here, and I have met some of them, the rate at which I have encountered the rude ones is staggering. It took me some time before I realized I get surprised when someone is nice to me in a shop, bank or public places. What a shock! Nice people shouldn’t surprise us, rude people should! There are times I want to help some old woman carry her bag as she gets on the escalator and she quickly retracts. Why? Because she doesn’t trust someone she doesn’t know. So I understood that probably the basic principle here is that don’t trust the next person. Like most people, I come from a background where everyone was his brother’s keeper.

If you are strong, smart and charismatic - Russia is excellent place for you.   But if you are weakling - avoid Russia, because Russian culture  intolerant to any weakness. 

Explanation is simple: Russia is land of  Death, climate very harsh and kill you slowly.  As if that is not enough, Russia don't have natural borders and can be invaded from any directions, and always exist danger of enemy infiltration in our society. Because this our culture have paranoid (any considered as potential enemy), warlike and Darwinist (alpha-males cult) character.

Our alpha-males cult - it's real reason why we looks so rude for  foreigners. For determination own place in males hierarchy, mens have aggressive behavior and harsh each another. Any weakness considered as reason for downgraded status in hierarchy. Because many foreigners constantly whining (showing how weak they are) - their  status very low,  and they considered as easy targets for aggression. 

Instead of stop to be looser, foreigners continue whining (adding sentences about skin color/ethnicity as reason for Russians intolerance).

In this blog foreigners whining about terrible Russia.

http://blackinrussia.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/a-ghanaian-medical-students-experience-in-st-petersburg/

Now I have lived here for more than 5 years and I’m used to the system. Unfortunately, I have encountered rude people after rude people! While I will not deny that there are very nice people here, and I have met some of them, the rate at which I have encountered the rude ones is staggering. It took me some time before I realized I get surprised when someone is nice to me in a shop, bank or public places. What a shock! Nice people shouldn’t surprise us, rude people should! There are times I want to help some old woman carry her bag as she gets on the escalator and she quickly retracts. Why? Because she doesn’t trust someone she doesn’t know. So I understood that probably the basic principle here is that don’t trust the next person. Like most people, I come from a background where everyone was his brother’s keeper.

If you are strong, smart and charismatic - Russia is excellent place for you.   But if you are weakling - avoid Russia, because Russian culture  intolerant to any weakness. 

Explanation is simple: Russia is land of  Death, climate very harsh and kill you slowly.  As if that is not enough, Russia don't have natural borders and can be invaded from any directions, and always exist danger of enemy infiltration in our society. Because this our culture have paranoid (any considered as potential enemy), warlike and Darwinist (alpha-males cult) character.

Our alpha-males cult - it's real reason why we looks so rude for  foreigners. For determination own place in males hierarchy, mens have aggressive behavior and harsh each another. Any weakness considered as reason for downgraded status in hierarchy. Because many foreigners constantly whining (showing how weak they are) - their  status very low,  and they considered as easy targets for aggression. 

Instead of stop to be looser, foreigners continue whining (adding sentences about skin color/ethnicity as reason for Russians intolerance).

That sounds so hilariously macho, that I bet it covers up your own weakness of character. Let's make this thread about pictures again and not about what man should smack whose dong against what. 

50360e0d1d41c876cf000001.jpg?mw=555

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I can't argue that Russia is not a land of leather panty-clad men wearing women's footwear. I'll take your word for it, Obyknven.

Why not? Russia is big and inhabited people with Chaotic Neutral alignment. Everything possible.

1ZF2iv6mq2bG_486521_PL.jpg

That sounds so hilariously macho, that I bet it covers up your own weakness of character. Let's make this thread about pictures again and not about what man should smack whose dong against what. 

It's just friendly advice for expats. Another advice is - avoid cheap everything. Russia have one of most expensive life, and all what cheap is fraud. I was surprised, when look apartments rented by one of Americans living there. This room just terrible, even poor Russian students rent extremely better apartments. The same-story about clothing, footwear, food and services etc. Russia is a bad place for greedy foreigners.

Edited by obyknven

I find it absolutely fascinating that there is a Russian version of an American icon, "Married... with Children" which against all expectations for a sitcom adapted for a foreign market has been received fairly well. For those that do not know, I give you "Счастливы вместе," or, "Happy Together."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBSeHEndees

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Pft. Man in posing pouch on MiG has dirty imperialist chromed assault rifle rather than reliable classic Russian Kalashnikov.

Indeed, oby should have posted this

Girls_and_Guns.jpg

Not sure if Russian, but that's a good looking rifle.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Indeed, oby should have posted this

Girls_and_Guns.jpg

Not sure if Russian, but that's a good looking rifle.

My brief yet thorough examination reveals cyrillic characters and a Russian flag on her uniform. Probably Russian.

And my recent exposure to RPS compels me to object strenuously to the overt sexism of giving the woman a little gun while the man in the background clearly has a far larger gun.

I find it absolutely fascinating that there is a Russian version of an American icon, "Married... with Children" which against all expectations for a sitcom adapted for a foreign market has been received fairly well. For those that do not know, I give you "Счастливы вместе," or, "Happy Together."

Russians don't watch TV.

0c713d9079f4.jpg

I like the little "Dream about vodka guy" :grin:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

00000-000-6972298-992.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) about Russia.
http://londograd.livejournal.com/3126.html

We see many Russians in the big, wide world these days and they appear to be extremely well off. They always have enormous watches, huge cars and embroidered jeans. Many also have football clubs.

So you would imagine that if you were running an airline, you would try to impress these newly moneyed people by lavishing your Moscow service with your latest, newest, shiniest aircraft. Weirdly, British Airways has chosen to do the exact opposite.

In my experience, BA puts its best aeroplanes on the transatlantic routes, and then, when the fittings and fixtures are a bit tired, the aircraft are relieved of their JFK duties and are used to ferry holidaymakers to the Caribbean. When they are too decrepit even for that, they take people to and from Uganda, and I thought that afterwards they were scrapped — or sold to Angola. But no.

It seems they are then given to the fire service, which uses them to train crews on the art of passenger evacuation, and then to the SAS, who run about in the burnt carcasses, shooting at imaginary terrorists. After that, they are used on the Moscow route.

I recently flew with BA to Russia, and to give you an idea of how old the plane was, I will tell you the on-board entertainment system used VHS tapes. And to make the quality even less impressive, my television screen was less than 2in across. And it was located on the bulkhead, several feet in front of my face. Also, it was broken. So was the lavatory seat.

I was going to write a letter to the chairman of BA, explaining that he’s got it all the wrong way round. Using your best aircraft to compete with America’s airlines — which are exclusively staffed by fat, bossy women and serve rubbish food — is like Chelsea fielding their best team to take on Doncaster Rovers.

I was going to point out to him — because plainly he doesn’t know — that the Berlin Wall has gone, and that the Russians are no longer queuing for six years to buy a beetroot and then being shot for saying it’s a bit warty.

I was also going to invite him to take a look around Gum, the department store in Red Square. There was a time when people would come from thousands of miles away because it had just taken delivery of some pencils. Now it makes the Westfield shopping centres in London look like an Ethiopian’s larder. The smallest watch on display is bigger than the TV screen I hadn’t been able to watch on my flight, and the underwear costs more than the ticket.

It’s not just materialism, either. In Russia people are now free to say absolutely anything that comes into their heads. Talk as Russians do in Britain and you’d be hauled over the coals for racism and branded a bigot. You want to suggest the legal age of consent should be lowered to 12? Go right ahead. People won’t call you a paedo; they’ll be interested to hear why you think that way. They went 70 years without being able to discuss anything. Now they want to discuss everything.

Of course, you are not able to write too disparagingly about Vladimir Putin, unless you want some radioactivity with your bacon and egg, but you can sure as hell say what you like. To whoever you’re with. I found it fantastically liberating.

There are other things, too. In Britain if Sir Philip Green or Lord Sir Sugar were to spend an evening at the Wolseley restaurant in the middle of London playing tonsil hockey with a phalanx of 6ft hookers, tongues would wag. In Russia that sort of thing appears to be quite normal.

A friend texted while I was there to say: “Be careful. Moscow is bad for your soul.” He’s wrong. It’s not bad for your soul but I bet it could be very bad for your marriage, your bank balance and your gentleman’s area.

Moscow buzzes and hums. You should try the bone marrow in Cafe Pushkin and spend a few minutes at the side of the road seeing if you can spot a car that would cost less than £50,000 if you’d bought it in Britain. Then check out the pavements and see if you can find one single girl who’s fat or less than 6ft tall or not wearing a beautifully cut pair of jeans. I have no idea what Hugh Hefner’s wet dreams are like. But I bet they’d be along these lines.

I went to the Kremlin at one point to discover it’s all been done up and refurbished. Not so it resembles how it might have looked in the past but so that foreign diplomats are blown into the middle of next week by the grandeur. Every room is like being inside the mind of a gold-obsessed four-year-old princess.

Clarkson should marry Piers Morgan.

While that's great to hear about Moscow, that is just one city in a vast country. The rest of the country, isn't in as good shape.

Still I want to visit Moscow too.

However:

You want to suggest the legal age of consent should be lowered to 12? Go right ahead. People won’t call you a paedo

But you would be. No one can make a good case for this.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I want to go to Moscow, simply to call bull****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands