Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Creatures in Project Eternity

Creatures Monsters Enemies

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

maggotheart

maggotheart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

A giant carnivorous pitcher plant that attracts prey through psychic manipulation. Some animals are compelled to walk into the plants acid pool to be digested, but others are kept alive to serve as the plants protectors. These drooling 'psychic zombies' slowly become covered in fungus, insects and filth as they lurk near the plant. When threatened, the plant directs them to suicidally attack intruders. The plant will also seed these protectors with its own spores, so they can be carried to other areas and enable it to spread.

The plants thralls can only be released if the plant is destroyed, but depending on how long they have been kept, they may immediately die, become thoroughly insane, recover somewhat but are never the same, or recover completely.

The most common victims are large humanoids with comparatively simple minds like Ogres, who can provide a lot of protection and are easily dominated.

• Gfted1, Wirdjos, JFSOCC and 1 other like this

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I absolutely love Constructs and anything inanimate imbued with live, so for me awesome choices would be:

- Clay Golem

- Stone Golem

- Steel/Iron Golem

- "Exotic Material" Golem (Glass, Mithril, Brass, Diamond, Jade, etc...)

- Living Armor

- Gargoyle

- Fire/Earth/Water/Wind Elemental (preferably from in sizes small to large)

- Animated Statue

- Spirits giving themselves form by inhabiting piles of inanimate matter ( sticks and branches, cobbled together clothing and armor, sand and rocks, etc...)

maggotheart

maggotheart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Tiny humanoids that resemble elven children who use their innocent appearance to trick stronger prey into letting down their guard. They have blond hair, alabaster skin and wide, sad eyes, however they are actually ferocious predators that will attack in groups and rip their prey limb from limb, devouring them with razor sharp teeth hidden behind their perfectly formed, elvish lips.

These creatures will often send one of their group out to be encountered by a traveller, who is immediately disarmed by the innocent and beautiful face of a small elven child. Once they are distracted, a mob of the creatures attack the traveller unawares, overwhelming him and feasting on his flesh. They are surprisingly agile, able to quickly scale trees and jump long distances. Their small, delicate frames are, upon closer inspection, quite wiry and strong, with the skin stretched tight over the bones. Once their ruse has been discovered, their faces wrinkle up and their mouths open wider than seems possible, giving them a scary, animalistic appearance.

They have long preyed upon the elves of the deep forest, but do not discriminate in their perpetual quest for humanoid meat - in recent years, they have increasingly fed upon humans who are much easier to trick than the elves who have had to deal with them for a long time.

Jenda

Jenda

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

- Spirits giving themselves form by inhabiting piles of inanimate matter ( sticks and branches, cobbled together clothing and armor, sand and rocks, etc...)

This is pure genius. If used correctly, it could make for an epic foe. Perhaps a generic one, but probably better suited for a quest-specific monster. Having to fight through a dungeon/tower/complex pursued by a spirit (soul?) that animates various objects, assuming different strengths each time, perhaps luring you to locations where it can form even more powerful constructs, all in the attempt to identify and destroy its bond to the physical world - this is something I'd like very much.

Wirdjos

Wirdjos

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This might be a little left field, but I'd be interested in seeing something like dementors. In a world that so deeply revolves around souls, it makes sense to have a direct parasite for the soul. Depending on the lore (ie whether souls are actually important or just thought to be the source of power), the dementor-like creatures could have evolved to fill a niche or have been created by wizards to attack their enemies. The latter is more appealing to me. What better way to totally and completely defeat a rival than to sap him of all possible power sources? Efficient and devious.

• JFSOCC likes this

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7422 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

...giant...

I like this one. I think the last time I saw a giant in game was that fire giant battle in BG2 TOB.

NwN 1 had giants too!

Frisk

Frisk

Deranged Toolsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

While I am pretty sure that many of the monsters in PE will be very familiar, I disagree with the idea that there are any classic "must-have" monsters.  I will be perfectly happy even if I get no goblins, skeletons, orcs or giant spiders for example .... provided that I get at least a few brand new ones, or at leas6t old ones with some major changes instead - I like being surprised.

• Wirdjos, IndiraLightfoot and JFSOCC like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8942 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like the firecats. The type that are huge and set fire to everything they touch as they stroll along. They don't even have to be "evil" ... it's just who they are.

(something smaller would be interesting too...harder to see/catch/stop)

• Wirdjos likes this

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I absolutely love Constructs and anything inanimate imbued with live, so for me awesome choices would be:

Chain Golem.

Wicker Golem.

Gold Forged Golem.

Clockwork Golem.

• Quadrone likes this

Barothmuk

Barothmuk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts

Barely related but could we call zombies something diffrent then zombie, like walkers, or deathless , I don't know why, and I know this is really stupid but I don't like Z word in fantasy

Dréag or driug? It's the Gaelic form of draugr (like Skyrim's zombies) and the language fits with PE's Aedyran language.

Personally I don't mind zombie, it's the silly ones like "walker" that bother me.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4875 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like to see some D&D 3.5e-style swarms. From rats to spiders to hellwasp swarms; just moving and pouring over each like a swirling, rushing mass.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

While I am pretty sure that many of the monsters in PE will be very familiar, I disagree with the idea that there are any classic "must-have" monsters.  I will be perfectly happy even if I get no goblins, skeletons, orcs or giant spiders for example .... provided that I get at least a few brand new ones, or at leas6t old ones with some major changes instead - I like being surprised.

I'd agree that there aren't any "must-have" specific creatures, but I'd say there are pretty big creature types, the absence of which would seem a bit forced/hollow? I mean, if there were NO undead at all (especially in a game all about souls cycling through life and death), or no arachnids whatsoever (or maybe just no insects? Arachnids might be too specific, maybe)... that would be pretty bland.

"NO furry, four-legged creatures! Those are so cliche, u_u..." Heh. If EVERYTHING was completely original, then it would all seem extremely foreign, as there'd be no intuitive connection with things. Granted, if they want to take artistic license and break from the typical mold on every single "typical" creature, I'm all for that. 8P
  • Wirdjos likes this

maggotheart

maggotheart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Here are some monster abilities I'd like to see implemented in PE:

1. Burrow into the earth and emerge in different places on the battlefield, knocking anyone nearby back.

2. Swallow party members whole, they are paralyzed and take damage until rescued

3. Tentacles (or chains on a chain golem) that can grapple party members and hold/drag them until the tentacles are cut/smashed

4. Grappling with their entire bodies or otherwise directly hanging onto a party member

5. Leaping/jumping/pouncing creatures who can clear obstructions

And here is a monster with all of these properties packed together, just for fun:

This monstrosity is a giant blubberous red-veined worm, covered in wriggling, lashing tentacles and capped by a cone shaped circle of teeth. It is capable of moving rapidly and completely underground in its native environment, emerging only to surprise prey. When attacking, it uses its many tentacles to grab anything that might be food and swallows it whole with great zeal, a dull roaring sound emerging from its fearsome maw. This creature often carries active subdermal larvae, which can emerge if the parent becomes injured. These small juveniles, in a different part of their life cycle, have hard shells and somewhat resemble trilobites or hermit crabs. They are capable of leaping far distances and latching onto living creatures. Once attached, they use their mandible like proto-jaws to slowly burrow inside the victim, feasting on their flesh.

Though fearsome, encountering a full adult is quite rare as they tend to avoid civilized areas and can only be found in hotter/wetter climates. They and their young are vulnerable to fire, while the rubbery tentacles and hide of the adult can be easily severed with slashing weapons. Anyone who has been swallowed whole by the creature is trapped - there are backward facing teeth spiraling all down the creatures throat - however it can take a long time for victims to die and be digested, so if the creature is killed, these victims can be freed by cutting the worm open from the outside.

• rjshae, Wirdjos, IndiraLightfoot and 3 others like this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ What if things like those larvae you mentioned (or leeches and such) that attached themselves to characters required other characters to attack "that character" to get them off? You know, "Swing your sword at this thing on my back! BUT DON'T CUT MY BACK!"

Dexterity/precision would be extraordinarily valuable in such times, and perhaps less-so versus other creatures who have no weakness until their shell is cracked through sheer brute force. *shrug*

Edited by Lephys, 02 February 2013 - 02:17 PM.

• maggotheart, Wirdjos and TRX850 like this

maggotheart

maggotheart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I want to see more interaction and co-operation between party members, whether it be burning a parasite off a friends back with a torch, cutting a tentacle or extricating someone from a monsters belly, helping them up from a prone position, or defending a weaker party member from attacks. The concept of building a party that works together to resolve challenges shouldn't end at class and skill choices, it should be personal and a core part of the mechanics.

Monsters, traps and other environmental challenges should all do this - it's not hard to imagine friends throwing a rope to someone in a pit trap, slicing open an entangling net, dragging a companion out of a patch of quicksand and so on. Companions should be useful beyond simply having a Fireball that goes well with someones Entangle ability.

• Wirdjos, JFSOCC and Lephys like this

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

^^^^ I agree with this, and some of these options would require party members to be adjacent to the character in question. It reminds me (again) of Pool of Radiance (SSI, 1988) where if your comrade went down fighting and was unconscious, you'd have to move alongside them before you had access to the "Bandage" option, which I thought added to the team spirit. Rushing in to save your comrade goes a long way in adding dynamic emotional range to an encounter.

• Wirdjos likes this

Inertia

Inertia

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i'd like to fight erinyes succubi and phoenix.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I want to see more interaction and co-operation between party members, whether it be burning a parasite off a friends back with a torch, cutting a tentacle or extricating someone from a monsters belly, helping them up from a prone position, or defending a weaker party member from attacks. The concept of building a party that works together to resolve challenges shouldn't end at class and skill choices, it should be personal and a core part of the mechanics.

Monsters, traps and other environmental challenges should all do this - it's not hard to imagine friends throwing a rope to someone in a pit trap, slicing open an entangling net, dragging a companion out of a patch of quicksand and so on. Companions should be useful beyond simply having a Fireball that goes well with someones Entangle ability.

And spells/abilities such as Fire Shield/Thornskin/Immolate could serve a much greater function than simply adding passive damage to an equation. Wizard wielding a Tome and can't 1-on-1 melee that beast's gut open to rescue his friend inside? *CASTS IMMOLATE ON FRIEND*. Suck it, foul beast! 8)

AND... If, say, certain characters had enough STR, maybe some planty/tenticley creature doesn't KNOW they are super strong, and tries to grab them and pull them in. *STR check...*. What's this? Your character's actually strong enough to not only NOT get pulled in, but to prevent the creature from even performing a tentacle retreat, so to speak. Now your other party members can easily run in (while he/she is holding it) and hack away at the creature/plant/thingy, or at the very least sever that tentacle. Critical hits for all!!!
  • Wirdjos likes this

Odglok

Odglok

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Even though underwater combat isn't a feasable concept in this type of game, I still really like aquatic/ambhipious enemies where they're appropriate. I'm also pretty fond of snakemen. Yet I've never seen a game with aquatic snakemen.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

- Spider Mummy        [Disease - Infestation of Maggots]

...Ignoring the issues:
A. who would mummify a spider?
B. can a spider even be mummified?

Mummification precludes the presence of maggots.

Furthermore, maggots have medicinal uses, they can and are sometimes used in modern medicine to remove necrotic tissue from wounds. Yes, I am defending the honor of maggots.

Edited by AGX-17, 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM.

• Wirdjos and Lephys like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Creatures, Monsters, Enemies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users