The question/suggestion has been asked/made in both the official #34 art update thread and in general discussion, but there has been no definitive answer.

Also, +1 for using the word phenotype. :grin:

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

NWN2 offers user-defined height and girth options at character creation.

Maybe something like this could also be implemented in P:E. I also don't like some of the older, chunkier phenotypes from some games. Humanoid anatomy is so much more variable than some games depict. I guess it always comes down to difficulty and expense to code it into the engine.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I love rolling in Baldur's Gate. Could the statistics themselves be tied to the physique and some character appearance features?

I'd be fine with just changing the color of the character (Like you do in Baldur's Gate, hardly any character customization at all). It'd be fun to see your character look different depending on if they have a high Strength or a high Wisdom.

A very high Constitution (in relevance to Strength/Muscle) could make your character wider, and if there's any "Tomes" that gives you +1 Constitution in the world it could make you more wider? Could that make the 3D model slightly wider as well?

Strength = Muscle

Dexterity = Mobility (Acrobatic muscle)

Constitution = Fat, Size, Grounded

Wisdom = Soul/Aura

Intelligence = Beard, Mind

Charisma = Charming, Dashing, "Beauty" Appeal

In Baldur's Gate it was more the classes that determined what kind of "appearance" you had. A Thief always had the hoodie, as an example. It wasn't determined by stats but more dependent on the race+class you chose. I think it'd be cool with a stats based appearance instead, getting a bulky muscular Wizard visually. Not advocating for Obsidian to model any "muscle's" and we'll see that grow or degenerate, more like the model would simply just get +1 size or -1 size in width/height~

Now I know intelligence is going to be in (because of the low intelligence dialogue comment) but I've always thought that you can't really fake intelligence. Ultimately, the problem solving skills of the player will either outdo, or limit the problem solving skills of the party characters. Also, the distinction between wisdom and intelligence, like between strength and dexterity, is sometimes ambiguous. I never enjoyed the DnD examples of low/int high wis or high int/ low wis. It brings to mind another fear of mine, which is that certain classes need to focus on certain attributes, which means generally that you'll find no high intelligence fighters, high strength wizards or low dexterity rogues. It should all matter to all classes, that way you get much more ability to diversely roleplay your characters.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

If you aren't going to go for the full monty on this (which I go into in the only thread I started), and Obsidian isn't, then there is no point tying it to stats etc. Just give players the option to pick a body type and some other things at character creation. I will also say this, on screen your character looks small, however, nothing says you can't have the characters get zoomed in for conversations like many RPG's do it these days. Even if you never see your player "up close" except for character creation a more detailed character model is still better than one that lacks detail.

If you want an example of what I mean about the never normally seeing your character up close but get zoomed in comment look no further than Obsidian's own Dungeon Siege 3. Most the game is played with your character at a reasonable distance from the camera, but the higher quality models still get some use.

It is not really that hard to implement this and outside of RPG's where you are put in control of a specific character (like Witcher 2) it is pretty much standard these days.

Edited by Karkarov

I don't think trying your appearance to your stats is a good idea.

Most games these days (e.g. Guild Wars 2) have the option to change height and width so if you want a skinny wizard or whatever then you can just setup that up on character creation.

That said, this is going to be an isometric game so the character might be a bit too small for it to be worth it.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

If Hollywood's taught us anything, it's that the height of strength is only achievable by anorexic high kicking young girls.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The most extreme version of this I'd be fine with would be to have option ranges for the different types. Like... say you have over 14 STR. Now, you cannot pick the little twig people, but you aren't necessarily the hugest person ever. You'd have to be at least slightly muscle-massy, but you could still be more lithe, or stocky, or toned, or padded, etc. This way, you could have an 18 STR (just using D&D values as an example) character who was just mid-range on the buffness scale (and as tall/toned/padded as you wanted) and a 13 or 14 STR character who was literally the buffest model the game was capable of producing, if you so chose.

I don't see any benefit gained by making sure the appearance is 100% derived specifically from your exact stats, but I do see a little benefit (and not much detriment, really) in organizing the character creation options so that someone with 5 STR isn't the Hulk. I mean, that kind of inconsistency is bordering on "I want to have a sword equipped, but I want a bow to appear in my hand, instead," or "I want to be female, but I want to use a blatantly male character model."

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^ Fair enough, but also don't underestimate the level of quality the graphics will possess. I don't think "This is as good as we can do, feasibly, 13 years ago" is really an integral part of the style they're going for. But, yeah, we're not gonna be playing isometric Crysis 2 or anything.

People keep sort of acting like we're gonna be dealing with Super NES sprites or something, but you'd be surprised how small a character model can be and still be quite impacted by poor animation/aesthetic details. I think someone referenced Starcraft II. Look how small those units are, and you'd notice if they just fidgeted between a few pixels of difference in animations. Or DOTA II. The heroes and units in that have nice, fluid animations, and detailed armor and weaponry. Hell, people pay MONEY for cool aesthetics in armor and equipment in that game, all the time. So, obviously it's a level of detail that's capable of being noticed by the human eye and brain.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Don't overestimate the amount of polish the graphics are gonna get. There might be some difference, but I think it's really gonna be more IE-like.

I certainly hope not as IE game graphics look like crap by today's standards, and anyone who thinks they don't seriously needs to play a modern game. This game doesn't need to look as good as Sleeping Dogs or Far Cry 3 (two of 2012's most graphically impressive games on PC) but it certainly better look at least as good or better than Diablo Already Looked Dated on Release Day 3.

Edited by Karkarov

Don't overestimate the amount of polish the graphics are gonna get. There might be some difference, but I think it's really gonna be more IE-like.

I certainly hope not as IE game graphics look like crap by today's standards, and anyone who thinks they don't seriously needs to play a modern game. This game doesn't need to look as good as Sleeping Dogs or Far Cry 3 (two of 2012's most graphically impressive games on PC) but it certainly better look at least as good or better than Diablo Already Looked Dated on Release Day 3.

Uhh, you probably aren't going to get much better than Diablo 3.

Or rather, I wouldn't consider Diablo 3 to be ugly.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

If Hollywood's taught us anything, it's that the height of strength is only achievable by anorexic high kicking young girls.

And only when they're the Cipher class.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)