Gun Control in the US

Hurlshort

In the classic capital letter definitions Oligarchy and Democracy are immiscible, true, but the general definition of little letter democracy and oligarchy are a bit more flexible than those from C5 BC. That may in part be because telling everyone that Their Vote Counts is a good way of stilling dissent even if most of the time you get to vote for hand picked 'establishment' candidates from a small potential pool, but it is also because Democracy is a form of government prone to monumental stupidities based on populist rhetoric, petty rivalries, ignorance and kneejerk reactions which makes the situation in most little d democracies look positively sane and Oligarchy fundamentally ain't going to appeal as an ideal to the general populace.

"The Japanese and American ways of thinking about crime, privacy, and police powers are so different -- and Japan is such a generally peaceful country -- that it's functionally impossible to fully isolate and compare the two gun control regiments"

Hmmm. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think you mean tentacles.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Or mecha-related violence.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think it's more the question of "there is no real sense of privacy in Japan in the way americans think of it"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think it's more the question of "there is no real sense of privacy in Japan in the way americans think of it"

There's also the fact that the Yakuza itself frowns upon gun trafficking. When the major crime organizations of a relatively xenophobic island nation are completely in sync with the law, there is not going to be an overlarge black market in the product in question.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Annual US market for guns: $2.8 billion

2012 US market for games: $14.1 billion

Your move, Congress. :)

Actually I'm all in favor of responsible video game ownership, just as I much prefer responsible gun ownership. I'm just suggesting that Congress shouldn't necessary expect to safely throw the video games industry under the bus in order to sate the virulent propaganda of the NRA.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Annual US market for guns: $2.8 billion

2012 US market for games: $14.1 billion

Your move, Congress. :)

Actually I'm all in favor of responsible video game ownership, just as I much prefer responsible gun ownership. I'm just suggesting that Congress shouldn't necessary expect to safely throw the video games industry under the bus in order to sate the virulent propaganda of the NRA.

Man, I think it may be cheaper to buy a gun rob game stores :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Comparing any small nation to one large nation that is basically 50 smaller ones is fairly silly as well.

Why is that? (The argument about size, not the one about the US being composed of several smaller states?)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Comparing any small nation to one large nation that is basically 50 smaller ones is fairly silly as well.

Why is that? (The argument about size, not the one about the US being composed of several smaller states?)

Smaller nations/communities are by and large more tightly knit. And in general easier to police. In America you've got groups in all different areas, from all different populations and you have to take a week to get from one end to the other. In Japan you can get from Satsuma to the northern provinces in a day or less.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Japanese culture in general is a lot more homogeneous.

Did I ever mention that owning fully automatic assault rifles with 30 round magazines is actually legal in Sweden..? My father owned one up until a couple of years ago, but traded it for a hunting rifle (which is more practical when you, you know, actually hunt).

Ak4b.jpg

This one.

The irony is that Sweden's gun laws are actually more lax than in the US. The big difference is control. Imagine that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Maybe laws about what aspects of weaponry are lax but there's controls on who can own one ? Not sure of the distinction he's referring to. Also that gun's pretty usable for a hunting rifle, no ? I'm guessing it's firing a 7.62 round.

Did I ever mention that owning fully automatic assault rifles with 30 round magazines is actually legal in Sweden..? My father owned one up until a couple of years ago, but traded it for a hunting rifle (which is more practical when you, you know, actually hunt).

Ak4b.jpg

This one.

The irony is that Sweden's gun laws are actually more lax than in the US. The big difference is control. Imagine that.

Maybe laws about what aspects of weaponry are lax but there's controls on who can own one ? Not sure of the distinction he's referring to. Also that gun's pretty usable for a hunting rifle, no ? I'm guessing it's firing a 7.62 round.

Yeah that would be my interpretation, there are variety of guns in Sweden but they are hard to get legally

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ak4b.jpg

This one.

Between 1934 and 1986 there were a grand total of 3 crimes committed with registered full-auto weapons. 2 of those crimes were committed by LEOs who could have easily gotten access to similar weapons through their jobs. The law banning all full-auto weapons made after 1986 was an amendment slipped into a pro-gun bill as a poison pill, and was never properly voted upon. Instead it was 'deemed' passed contrary to the apparent voice vote by that rat****ing son of a bitch Charles Rangel.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Lookout, Obama's gunna take ur guns and make ya gay marry an illegal immigrant in a muslim ceremony.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lookout, Obama's gunna take ur guns and make ya gay marry an illegal immigrant in a muslim ceremony.

Yea! Because every person who supports this or that only votes a party line on all issues because that's what they're told to do, as well as being spoon fed all of the arguments and counter arguments on the issue. If you think people should have guns then that means absolutely that you must be racist, sexist, a warmonger and hate gay people.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.