What you did today

Gorth

it's been quite some time since i ventured into these parts

haven't really been up to too much - mainly just work and hanging out at home with the gf and cats

on holiday until the 7th january, so making the most of it by reading lots and refusing to wear pants

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Freezing cold in Iowa, not so bad in Cali.

Just getting insanely depressed because due to (from my position anyway) beauracratic snafus I am being kicked out of school for a semester. I am fighting it, but things aren't looking to good. Got one grade put in wrong and it should be a full letter grade higher. And I think something happened to one of my other grades that is right now an f on my transcript.

It feels like the universe doesn't want me to have a future that doesn't hurt me every day due to stress.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I returned from my Xmas holiday with my family at the coast. My cousins own a beach cottage next to our one so we had a shared Xmas lunch which was very social and completely scrumptious. Turkey, Gammon, Roast Potatoes and Chicken were the main food options on the table. The weather was perfect, very hot but in the afternoon it was windy so that kept the temperature down. Overall a really nice Xmas excursion :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wasted yesterday doing nothing, so just a lot of the usual chores and such this week. Kind of loathing the return to normal on Jan 2 or so.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Been screwing around with Sublime text 2, am thinking it might be my new default text editor.

Quick question for any programmers/devs in here: what's the point of mini-map in a text editor?

It's so next-gen. Does it come with xpad controller support too?

Edit: On a more serious note, I usually use Notepad++ and XMLPad for the quick and dirty stuff. Might have to see what Sublime Text is all about.

Had one of those WTF moments where things just kinda comes together - and you just know that after this, your life just took a very different direction.

Is she a nice girl?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Been screwing around with Sublime text 2, am thinking it might be my new default text editor.

Quick question for any programmers/devs in here: what's the point of mini-map in a text editor?

I wonder if that 'search as you type' feature is toggle-able, caused it to seize up and die when searching a 1.2 gig log file :p Does look a lot more nifty than NP++

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I got back from LA last night, we spent three days there at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. It was a great trip, we mostly stuck to Universal Studios and The Citywalk area. The crowds weren't bad and we tried to go early, head to the room in the afternoon for rest, and then return in the evenings. That helped us avoid the crowds a bit.

My favorite ride/experience was the studio tour. It is a 45 minute tram ride on the backlot area, and it has quite a few different experiences like the Jaws area and a King Kong section. It was really cool just rolling through the environments. My 2 and a half year old son was also able to go on this, unlike most rides, so it was fun for him. He got pretty scared in some areas, but he was smiling big as we left. The earthquake simulation really got him!

The Transformers ride was pretty good too. They have a neat child switch thing which lets one parent go on the ride while the other parent stays with the kid, then you can switch out without re-waiting in line. My biggest problem was all the 3-D stuff, I started getting pretty nauseous and had to avoid a few of them. My wife and daughter did much better. Waterworld was also a pretty cool show, lots of pyrotechnics.

It was my first time at Universal Studios, and I was impressed. It was better than I expected.

12%2B-%2B1.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

I got back from LA last night, we spent three days there at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. It was a great trip, we mostly stuck to Universal Studios and The Citywalk area. The crowds weren't bad and we tried to go early, head to the room in the afternoon for rest, and then return in the evenings. That helped us avoid the crowds a bit.

My favorite ride/experience was the studio tour. It is a 45 minute tram ride on the backlot area, and it has quite a few different experiences like the Jaws area and a King Kong section. It was really cool just rolling through the environments. My 2 and a half year old son was also able to go on this, unlike most rides, so it was fun for him. He got pretty scared in some areas, but he was smiling big as we left. The earthquake simulation really got him!

The Transformers ride was pretty good too. They have a neat child switch thing which lets one parent go on the ride while the other parent stays with the kid, then you can switch out without re-waiting in line. My biggest problem was all the 3-D stuff, I started getting pretty nauseous and had to avoid a few of them. My wife and daughter did much better. Waterworld was also a pretty cool show, lots of pyrotechnics.

It was my first time at Universal Studios, and I was impressed. It was better than I expected.

12%2B-%2B1.jpg

That sounds really fun, being able to visit places like Universal Studio's and experience all those rides is another advantage to living in the USA. Nice one. Shame your son has this look on his face that says " Dad are you sure you know what you are doing " :grin:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Had one of those WTF moments where things just kinda comes together - and you just know that after this, your life just took a very different direction.

Did you see a glitch in the Matrix?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm more familiar with those moments when everything just kinda comes apart and you know that your life is going to take a very different direction. I think they're related.

Anyway, congrats, I think!

Meanwhile, I just got to work (almost nobody else here) and was just counting - if they let me take the holidays I've earned instead of paying me the kill fee, I have about 3 weeks of work left here. Yay.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Spending as much time with the spouse as possible before going back to the more typical routine. :)

I'm getting used to having the main PC in the living area. Maybe I should keep it there, at least during winters.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Happy New Years Eve everyone - I have a feeling this night is gonna get legendary.. :dancing:

I'm more familiar with those moments when everything just kinda comes apart and you know that your life is going to take a very different direction. I think they're related.

Meanwhile, I just got to work (almost nobody else here) and was just counting - if they let me take the holidays I've earned instead of paying me the kill fee, I have about 3 weeks of work left here. Yay.

Do you mean a new direction in a bad way in your case? Because it kinda did fall apart, but that's not always a bad thing.. And Orogun01, you are actually pretty close.

Fortune favors the bald.

Do you mean a new direction in a bad way in your case? Because it kinda did fall apart, but that's not always a bad thing.. And Orogun01, you are actually pretty close.

Not necessarily in a bad way. It could always go the Fight Club way. "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." I'm considering career alternatives that I would have laughed at a few weeks ago with an open mind, now. And it's only slowly starting to dawn to me how ****ed up this place is. Genuinely happy to move on, worried about the future and uncertainty, that's all.

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Another day of no one being around so progressing issues is a no-go. And not even anyone fun around to chat with online to pass the time, friends are all off having lives and doing fun stuff.

Meh to New Year's.

new years was quite a good night

went to the gig and then back to bandmate's place to just chill out and chat until the sun started coming up then popped down the road for a morning coffee

only about 8 of us in total so a nice quiet sociable new years

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Not necessarily in a bad way. It could always go the Fight Club way. "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." I'm considering career alternatives that I would have laughed at a few weeks ago with an open mind, now. And it's only slowly starting to dawn to me how ****ed up this place is. Genuinely happy to move on, worried about the future and uncertainty, that's all.

Welcome to the other side of sanity!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Tried to take a picture of the most badass street sign in America (it says "WRONG WAY STUPID") made the mistake of using a digital camera whose default function is to not take pictures at all. Also froze my ass off (proverbially.) The worst thing about Portland is that the days it's cold enough for snow are almost always cloudless, sunny days.

Tried to take a picture of the most badass street sign in America (it says "WRONG WAY STUPID") made the mistake of using a digital camera whose default function is to not take pictures at all. Also froze my ass off (proverbially.) The worst thing about Portland is that the days it's cold enough for snow are almost always cloudless, sunny days.

There are some pretty hilarious road signs around the world. Saw somebody collect some of the best on a webpage once. Sadly, I don't have the link anymore (it was a decade ago, but I guess a quick search on Google images would more than make up for it). One of the more amusing I remember actually seeing was from Wellington, NZ, which warned against penguins on the road.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Top Gear had an entire series where they had those in their News segment.

Including one marked "Secret Base >>>" or something.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.