What are you playing now?

Gorth

I tried Star Wars: The Old Republic today (free, of course,) can't say I was impressed. More like I was irritated that they didn't just make a KOTOR3.

Which of the classes did you try for?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I tried Star Wars: The Old Republic today (free, of course,) can't say I was impressed. More like I was irritated that they didn't just make a KOTOR3.

Jedi Knight. I might give it some more time, see if the fabled 'story' is as good as people say. The UI is pretty terrible.

Edited by AGX-17

But she like Anders doesn't deserve anything but slow dismemberment, Fenris gets a sword through his gut and Merryl a burning at a stake. Only after all that there might be some thoughts of forgiveness or something. :skull:

You don't see the value in kicking your companions' asses and showing them once and for all who's strongest?

Oops, doble poste.

Edited by AGX-17

Jedi Knight. I might give it some more time, see if the fabled 'story' is as good as people say. The UI is pretty terrible.

Heh, the UI used to be way worse too, at launch I don't think you even had the ability to move everything and resize.

You really strike me as the type who will get a bigger kick out of the sith storylines.

Mass Effect 3. Wanted to start a new game after buying Omega. Am just about to look for the lost Turian Platoon on Tuchanka. It's been awhile since I last played it, and I gotta say I'm enjoying it. It's kinda like watching the original Star Wars again. Plus my familiarity with the gameplay is helping me get used to my new Steel Series keyboard with all the first-person shooter keys reconfigured in a more convenient pattern... allegedly. As I said I'm still getting used to it.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Played some WoW over the weekend, friend re-subbed so I figured I'd join him. Always fun to run around in a new zone, Pandaria story, the zonal ones anyway are interesting enough - the flashback bits were annoying but short.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just finished Neverwinterwinter Night 2. Now I'm pondering what to play next. I've narrowed it down to keeping going with NWN2 and jumping into Mask of the Betrayer, Knights of the Old Republic 2, or The Book of Unwritten Tales. I'm leaning toward The Book of Unwritten Tales because of all the good things I have heard, and to play something other than a RPG for a bit.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Heh, the UI used to be way worse too, at launch I don't think you even had the ability to move everything and resize.

You really strike me as the type who will get a bigger kick out of the sith storylines.

I can't stand the Sith. They're just moustache twirling villains with no depth whose only purpose is to be as hand-wringingly eeeeeevil as possible. I was completely turned off from that side when I saw someone post on another forum a rant about how the Sith are the "real good guys" who fight against the fascist light side for freedom and love and blahblahblah on another forum.

The reason people play Sith is because they want to play a cruel ***hole (ass is still not a four letter word, Obsidian forum management, at least make it a three asterisk censorship,) I had it when I see this guy talking about how they're an anarcho-syndaclist commune of misunderstood freedom fighters. If that's who's playing sith now, I want no part of it. Regardless of KOTOR/2, Lucasarts/Disney isn't going to be saying there's a canon grey zone where Jedi can take lovers or Sith are misunderstood freedom fighters. Star Wars has always been a world of black and white morality, canonically. For all the cynicism I display, and an affinity for well-designed/written villains of the "magnificent bastard" variety, I'm "good" at heart; which traditional law/neutral/chaotic alignment varies. Maybe that's why I'm so cynical.

The smuggler thing was appealing until they had cowboy hats in Star Wars. That was it. I wish there was a free trial mode where you could play the full game without restrictions for a limited time, sort of like how TF2 lets F2P players use drop/achievement weapons temporarily on a trial run basis to entice them to make a purchase (and get upgraded to "premium" status for as low a price as $0.49) so I could see if the game was really worth paying for, but... you know, EA.

For the record, that WWI helmet they gave to all the people who bought the game was not valid compensation for having bought and supported the game in the face of the conversion to F2P/micro-transaction economics. Since most players are still people who bought the game it has no significant value in the TF2 economy. And it's considered ugly, which hurts the value more.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

I can't stand the Sith. They're just moustache twirling villains with no depth whose only purpose is to be as hand-wringingly eeeeeevil as possible. I was completely turned off from that side when I saw someone post on another forum a rant about how the Sith are the "real good guys" who fight against the fascist light side for freedom and love and blahblahblah on another forum.

The reason people play Sith is because they want to play a cruel ***hole (ass is still not a four letter word, Obsidian forum management, at least make it a three asterisk censorship,) I had it when I see this guy talking about how they're an anarcho-syndaclist commune of misunderstood freedom fighters. If that's who's playing sith now, I want no part of it. Regardless of KOTOR/2, Lucasarts/Disney isn't going to be saying there's a canon grey zone where Jedi can take lovers or Sith are misunderstood freedom fighters. Star Wars has always been a world of black and white morality, canonically. For all the cynicism I display, and an affinity for well-designed/written villains of the "magnificent bastard" variety, I'm "good" at heart; which traditional law/neutral/chaotic alignment varies. Maybe that's why I'm so cynical.

The Sith really are a bit mixed in how they play. Yes, you do get a fair few out and out evil options for no general reason, then you've got plenty of evil options done for selfish reasons and achieving power etc.. What's kind of quirky is that a lot of the options that would be used for improving the Imperial war machine and keeping the troops in good order actually grant light side points.

Played some more MGS: Peace Walker. I like it quite a lot. Fun game, despite of being quite simple gameplay mechanic-wise (well, it was made for the PSP, after all...). So far I find the game a lot more entertaining than MGS3 (which I also started a few days ago and played for 3 or so hours).

Though, it is strange that I am knocking out enemies and capture them with the fulton system, and next up they are on my mother base, working for me happily. But other than that... so far it is very entertaining.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Started on The Book of Unwritten Tales. I'm only at the very, very beginning (read: small sample size) but so far I'm enjoying the game. It's standard point n click adventure fare, pretty humorous, and bursting at the seams with charm. I like how they took the time and care to put in multiple descriptions for clickables, including non-essential ones. I just had a grand old time clicking repeatedly on a chair for a couple of minutes, with the character arguing with me that it's just an ordinary chair and not worth all this fuss. Good times. If the game keeps up this kind of attention to detail throughout then this should be a fun adventure indeed.

:biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The reason people play Sith is because they want to play a cruel ***hole (ass is still not a four letter word, Obsidian forum management, at least make it a three asterisk censorship,) I had it when I see this guy talking about how they're an anarcho-syndaclist commune of misunderstood freedom fighters.

I played a Sith Sorcerer that was decidedly nice and would even refuse to do quests where the only option was doing bad things. I only got a bit into Act 2, but I'd be surprised if it suddenly forced me to play a cruel individual.

My roleplaying perspective was that compassion was as useful as any to rally those to the Sith side. Arguably more useful (especially at times).

As for games, I am now playing The Witcher (for the first time).

Edited by alanschu

Slowly wading through the free version of Old Republic.

The attempt to marry storyteling and multiplayer is interesting but I feel it hurts the latter too much.

Between f2p limitations and constant instancing there is simply too little incentive to group up and organize.

The storytelling is also best remembered for it's production values rather than anything else.

Playing lawful normal jedi or chaotic stupid sith fits the setting well enough but anything else seems out of place.

Mechanics consist of standard hotkey MMO fare with the addition of companions in place of pets.

The worst part so far is that mirroring of skills and classes between sides badly cuts down on the variety.

Finishing up Balmora on my Jedi Knight. I'm really surprised that I'm level 35 and I only have two real companions so far, and only one with much in the way of personality. Ah well, at the end of this planet I believe I get my third. I am still really enjoying the story, so that's great. Hopefully I'll keep my interest, the next planet was a bit of a bore on my trooper.

My Trooper had three companions by the end of Act 1.

The worst part so far is that mirroring of skills and classes between sides badly cuts down on the variety.

Heh, I could write a small book of things I though were done wrong with the game, but not even I would expect the classes to be unique on both sides.

The forums were (are?) flooded enough with "unbalanced! nerf this buff that!" topics as it were.

The rate you gain companions can shift quite wildly depending on the class. It does make one wonder what the exact reason is for it. Although I suppose since they've wound companions into the storyline, it's a pacing thing and not all storylines are set for suitable moments of companion gain.

So far I've managed to get 5 classes to 50th, and haven't done any operations... I keep flipping to a new class and seeing how that handles, and what the new storylines are like.

Between f2p limitations and constant instancing there is simply too little incentive to group up and organize.

IMO the strength of the game is with its small group gaming. I never played the game solo, and only played with friends (real life friends, which is probably helpful). In this aspect, I didn't find the multiplayer component suffered much at all, and we had the added bonus of being able to complete more difficult content too.

I agree that skill mirroring is a big issue. I was disappointed when I heard they were shifting to that (it didn't used to be that way).

Heh, I could write a small book of things I though were done wrong with the game, but not even I would expect the classes to be unique on both sides.

The forums were (are?) flooded enough with "unbalanced! nerf this buff that!" topics as it were.

The forums are always full of such posts so that doesn't concern me.

What dose is that with only 4 classes to try and 3 basic roles to fill I don't fell any need to experiment with character builds.

Since I'm not too keen on concept of some classes or their storylines this leaves me with little reason to see the other side of the conflict.

IMO the strength of the game is with its small group gaming. I never played the game solo, and only played with friends (real life friends, which is probably helpful). In this aspect, I didn't find the multiplayer component suffered much at all, and we had the added bonus of being able to complete more difficult content too.

It's not like I played the game solo but even before 20th level flashpoints started to require decently put together groups.

Trying to find players to fill specific roles through the chat proved rather fruitless and the f2p limits discourages sub-optimal attempts.

I can only imagine how demanding end-game content can be.

To be fair I played subscription based.

Though I wasn't talking about flashpoints (although it was fun to do those too). I love the MP aspect of just going through the standard content and watching everybody's stories and the decisions they made in them.

What dose is that with only 4 classes to try and 3 basic roles to fill I don't fell any need to experiment with character builds.

Since I'm not too keen on concept of some classes or their storylines this leaves me with little reason to see the other side of the conflict.

I'd agree with you if TOR was single player only, or wouldn't have PVP at all. PVP seems to be "the" reason for many to play the game and there class balance is very important. There was (and probably is) some issues with that, and with unique classes I'd expect there to be much more issues.

The stories I heard about balance issues in WoW were just unbelievable.

I wish TOR had ignored balancing altogether. I think they would have been better off avoiding that part of MMO's, instead of trying to compete with WoW and failing spectacularly.

I agree with alan about the co-op experience, TOR is phenomenal at it.

• Like 2

I'd agree with you if TOR was single player only, or wouldn't have PVP at all. PVP seems to be "the" reason for many to play the game and there class balance is very important. There was (and probably is) some issues with that, and with unique classes I'd expect there to be much more issues.

The stories I heard about balance issues in WoW were just unbelievable.

Actually I'd argue that class mirroring makes even PvP boring as it usually results in symmetric maps and thus same tactics.

Not that it matters for TOR as the war-zone f2p limit scared me and friends away from PvP.

I'm in the process of wrapping up my Civ 5 game as Spain. Haiwatha has been taken care of leaving just myself and Alexander on my home continent and Napoleon in sole possession of the second continent. I have about 75% of my continent which puts me either in the lead or very close to it in total land area. I have a handful of Rocket Artillery that was supporting the main body of my army of Mechanized Infantry as they steamrolled Hiawatha. This is combined with a large air force that covered the advance of my troops from the west and a carrier group that snuck around from the east to take out the enemy navy.

At this point, victory is a foregone conclusion. Even with the huge number of cities I have, I could probably win a cultural victory if I bothered to wait around long enough. I have 3 and 2 half policy trees unlocked right now. I also have an SS ****pit sitting on the launch pad, an army that outnumbers and is technologically superior to both remaining civs and the ability to build the United Nations. Just a matter of choosing which way I want to go.