Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

I know, not a movie but damn, I just finished watching the last episode of The Wire. One of my favorite TV shows I have seen. The last epsidoes were incredibly exciting, and I kept thinking to myself how incredibly crazy things were. The craziest thing about it is that I'm not surprised if a LOT of what we got to see actually happens in real life. Scratch that, I do think some of that actually happens.

Have you watched Two Towers with director commentary? I know a couple people who were pissed at some of the changes that after hearing Peter Jackson's reasoning for making those changes were much more accepting

I haven't watched any of the director's commentary stuff. Should do that sometime.

I know, not a movie but damn, I just finished watching the last episode of The Wire. One of my favorite TV shows I have seen. The last epsidoes were incredibly exciting, and I kept thinking to myself how incredibly crazy things were. The craziest thing about it is that I'm not surprised if a LOT of what we got to see actually happens in real life. Scratch that, I do think some of that actually happens.

The Wire is goddamn amazing. Was pretty sad when I finished it because... well, no more The Wire! At the same time, really happy that they got to finish it up properly.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Have you watched Two Towers with director commentary? I know a couple people who were pissed at some of the changes that after hearing Peter Jackson's reasoning for making those changes were much more accepting

I haven't watched any of the director's commentary stuff. Should do that sometime.

The Wire is goddamn amazing. Was pretty sad when I finished it because... well, no more The Wire! At the same time, really happy that they got to finish it up properly.

Yep, I felt the same way. Next show will be The Boardwalk Empire (season 2). Then it's time for the third season of Game of Thrones.

Dredd. Mixed feelings. One hand, better than that first one. On other hand, it had no "it's so bad it's funny" aspect. So I was mostly unmoved. Someone above said it was well crafted, and I'll give it that. The 2nd half was also better than the first half. But something about the closed-in, one-spot scenario didn't work for me in this instance. Still...watchable fare.

P.S. I kept thinking... "Die Hard: Die Dredder."

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Why didn't Dredd pick up ammo from the first corrupt judge he wasted.

Didn't the first Judge fall over the ledge in the fight (they were on a bridge, IIRC)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wasn't he interrupted before he could do that?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

"Also, DiCaprio's acting was pretty awesome."

THIS. It is always awesome (haven't watched Djano yet). Dicaprio should be a 10 time Oscar winner by now. BY FAR, one of the best if not the best actor ever. He can play anything and play it well. Even movies he's been in that i didn't care for or thought boring, I can always end watching the movie telling myself,"That Dicrapio is one hell of an actor!"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wasn't he interrupted before he could do that?

I saw the movie twice in the theater and I actually can't remember. Something happens.

is that when the other guy sees him and starts shooting?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter last night. Lead guy could play a young Liam Neeson. Anyway, not a bad flick. Cheesy, but fun.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Saw Ruby Sparks.. pleasently surprised and a very good film - also saw the entire Firefly series for the first time. Much better than I had thought it would be, which is pretty cool as everyone I know, who has seen it, has been hyping it for the better part of 5 years.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I saw the movie twice in the theater and I actually can't remember. Something happens.

yes

I saw vampires suck. it sucked.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

yes

I saw vampires suck. it sucked.

Better than Twilight.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just finished watching Dredd again.

Dredd chops the first judge in the neck and disappears before the other two judges come on the scene. Considering he had enough time to get away without the other two seeing him, he should have had enough time to grab more ammo, but it's close enough that it's not a huge issue.

I was more interested in where the...

...beam of light that shines through the wall when they are escaping from the miniguns. Dredd sees the beam of light and shots out the wall, but when they get outside it's night time. The light shines downwards, but the only lights outside the building are lower than the hole that is created.

Edited by Deraldin

I think looking for too much logic/consistency in a movie like Dredd is a futile exercise. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I caught some of the original Red Dawn on TV last night, and as bad as that has aged (and it was never a great film, even tho I'm still fond of it for some strange reason), it's still 100x better than that recent remake my friend made me see.

There's probably a reason the Red Dawn remake sat for 2 years before being released...

There's probably a reason the Red Dawn remake sat for 2 years before being released...

Yeah, MGM went bankrupt and couldn't afford to release it. They also had to digitally alter the film so the Chinese weren't the bad guys so they could release it in China.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, MGM went bankrupt and couldn't afford to release it. They also had to digitally alter the film so the Chinese weren't the bad guys so they could release it in China.

I was more thinking of MGM's bankruptcy; had the movie been stronger, I don't think it would have sat on the shelf for 2 years. One of the other studios would have snagged it.

I watched Django: Unchained.

Very impressive movie, I had my doubts about Quentin Tarantino's ability to keep growing as an artist but this movie puts all my worries to bed. It's definitely a Tarantino Movie. And he is definitely a master of his craft.

It also explained a bit to me which always troubled me, which is the difference between language usage in some black communities in America and white America. It's still a hold-over from slavery times, and I guess for Americans that might be obvious but for me as an European it mystified me. A lot now has a context where first context was missing.

---

Just saw Prometheus. I...liked it? It was visually gorgeous, and the cast did a good job, but it was a bit of a mess.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Prometheus was underappreciated. The plight of the bald should not be forgotten.

Also there are supposedly going to be some tie-ins with

so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what direction they're taking the Engineers. Edited by Serrano

Managed to hurt my back sleeping funny, so spent the afternoon with a couple movies, one catching up to something I never got around to, and the other catching up on something the filmmakers never got around to.

Repo Man, Alex Cox's sort-of-sci-fi, sort-of-dystopic, sort-of-punk-comedy. To be honest, I can't say I "got" it, or that I "got" the supposed political overtones in it (something about Reagan-mumble-mumble), but that wasn't necessary to the enjoyment of just sitting back and watching the leads, Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez, shake, nay, blow the dust off the bleak urban setting.

Soul Power, the documentary-slash-concert-film of the famous soul festival in Kinshasa, Zaire - featuring the likes of B.B. King, Bill Withers, the Pointer Sisters, and of course, James Brown - that preceded the legendary Ali-Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle". filmed in 1974 but not released until 2008 due to various lawyery stuffs. I'm not a fan of soul music but love my concert films, so not sure how I would take this. Significantly more talky bits than I had expected, but perhaps for that reason I liked it more than I expected. Ali gets a fair bit of face time, naturally.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I watched the film TERROR BENEATH THE SEA. A very young Sonny Chiba in a sci-fi spy story; Reporters Ken (Chiba) and Jenny (Peggy Neal) investigate mysterious goings on near a nuclear science complex; the US Navy is also on hand. Explosions, gun battles, and people in fish-men costumes battling it out as our heroes fight a group of scientist creating a brainless underwater army out of regular people with which to conquer the world and create a giant totalitarian state. Good times, good times.

I do suspect the English language version (intended to be shown on TV) is edited so certain scenes don't follow the way they should (they break the navy searching the sea in a super sub into two sequences, but I think its actually supposed to be one sequence, for example). The internet tells me the only known difference between TERROR BENEATH THE SEA and Kaitei daisensô is that the English language version has more scenes with the English language cast and the Japanese version has more violence (intended for theaters this makes sense). Too bad the Japanese version isn't on the disc - I'd love to compare the two!