Obsidian Order of Eternity - idea on how to deepen the commitment (increase pledge)

Hi!

I really like the Obsidian Order of Eternity-initiative, by Farudan and others, and as you can see I've joined their ranks.

So, I have an idea how to perhaps add a rank to OOE, since now we're almost entering that last week of the kickstarter and all:

-If members of OOE add 8 dollars more (eight is a sacred number), or if new members to OEE add 16 dollars, there will be a catacomb-wall filled with basic tomb plaques, or perhaps a treasury register tome dusting away somewhere (the medium in-game is of course up for debate), where your OOE-name-n-title will appear in-game. The devs have already hinted at OEE being given some tangent mentioning in the game, and I know there are lots of people who would like to honour Obsidian in this kind of fashion. Furthermore, to distinguish these 16-dollar Magistrates of the Obsidian Order (title is up for discussion as well), their OEE-titles will appear in a golden colour.

If the guys at Obsidian approve of this idea, we can get it started ASAP. So, please, Fionawar and Dlux, summon a meeting and channel the powers that be, and help us realize true eternity for our order.

Indira Lightfoot,

Apex of the Order of Eternity

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I didn't even think about that! I just thought up a way that doesn't take any real effort and that could drum up some money and which would appeal to customers as well, like a ledger in game or something. So that is a reward among other goodies along with a collector's edition? Hmm, I'd say OE can pull in much more money this way by opening the floodgates just a little more.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Tombstones would be cooler. And with flavour silly text comment when clicked.

That idea may fall too close to their latest change in the tier rewards:

"Additionally for our $500 backers and above, we will let you put your name and a personalized message on a memorial stone in game. Your unique message will be encoded into Glanfathan runes, and can be decoded using a unique in-game ring. It's a way for all of us to remember your large contribution to Project Eternity."

Honestly? If you want to give them more money, just do it. Be a true Obsidian Knight and support the game because you believe in it, not because you'll get a shiny name on the wall.

Still, anything they can do to encourage new pledges they should do immediately :) This could include expanding in-game Obsidian Order, giving it a funny storyline or something - it would be about the organization rather than individual names, so it wouldn't conflict with $500 tier SqueakyCat quoted.

• Like 2

Would be cool if they did but it's probably too much trouble for just $8 and actual verification would be needed which I don't think has been done so far.

I'd jump for it though but still I doubt they'll do for an extra $8 what they do for $500......

1zq6793.jpg

In the last thread about honoring the Obsidian Order, I noticed something interesting.

40% of the people who voted were under $50. Around 25% were under $35. Several thousand of us are more than $140 already according to the kickstarter page, so it's going to end up generating alot of ill will when people who donated a fraction of the money get increased recognition beyond what they got.

The whole Obsidian Order thing is fun and all, but trying to take it further is just going to raise the ire of the people who donated generously when it becomes increasingly apparent that a sizeable chunk of the Obsidian Order is still under the retail cost of a game. I'd strongly recommend talking about grandfathering in everyone at the $100+ tiers first, since those people are already tossing in more than the cost of a retail game.

In the last thread about honoring the Obsidian Order, I noticed something interesting.

40% of the people who voted were under $50. Around 25% were under $35. Several thousand of us are more than $140 already according to the kickstarter page, so it's going to end up generating alot of ill will when people who donated a fraction of the money get increased recognition beyond what they got.

The whole Obsidian Order thing is fun and all, but trying to take it further is just going to raise the ire of the people who donated generously when it becomes increasingly apparent that a sizeable chunk of the Obsidian Order is still under the retail cost of a game. I'd strongly recommend talking about grandfathering in everyone at the $100+ tiers first, since those people are already tossing in more than the cost of a retail game.

~40k pledgers are under $50 and less than 6k are at or over $50 and less than 2k are at or over $100. So yeah that would be quite the idea but still well over 1k so maybe too much trouble for Obsidian.

1zq6793.jpg

You guys clearly have a better understanding of all the pledge tiers and such. However, I'm curious: Are there guys that actually put those 500 dollars or 1000 dollars just to be a name on an end-game credit scroll? I just doubt that's the case. I mean there seems to be great stuff in those pledge packages: Collector's editio, art books, novellas, signed copies, art books, you name it. This got me thinking: What if there are guys who don't care about those things, perhaps they don't even can afford a full digital PE right now, but they are loyal fans to Obsidian and want nothing more than seom in-game nod?

Then OE could create some add-on for that group. Say, for 8, 15, 20 dollars, you get to appear on some stone, on some tree (like a lovers' carving), in some book, on some scroll, the sky is the limit, really. For a bit of imagination and some typing OE can harvest loads of vanity dough that way. As long as it brings in more money for Obsidian's project, I'm all for it! :)

I'm sure people's' reasons for donating at any given level are varied, but first, and foremost, they want to support the project to the best of their ability and believe in the development team. However, the 'personalized message' was added because they gave the next lower level a hardcover Collector's Book which had been exclusive to that tier.

You need to think of a different concept - you've already been ninja'd by the development team on this particular idea.

I'm sure people's' reasons for donating at any given level are varied, but first, and foremost, they want to support the project to the best of their ability and believe in the development team. However, the 'personalized message' was added because they gave the next lower level a hardcover Collector's Book which had been exclusive to that tier.

You need to think of a different concept - you've already been ninja'd by the development team on this particular idea.

I agree, and it's important not to overlap too much on the tiers or it'll cause more (yes, more) confusion and waffling--you have to remember that changing tier rewards, especially expanding rewards to lower tiers, may very well increase some pledges but can and will also encourage some backers to lower their pledges. It's risky this late in the KS game.

The newest digital $165 tier with the addition of Wasteland 2 is good because that's a brand-new addition without stretching the edges of existing rewards. And the expansion. I find the expansion more intriguing myself.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I think it could be done externally, when the game comes out and we get our modding tools, create a faction called the Obsidian order and all the members who care can submit a character file (what ever they use) to be inserted into an Obsidian Order mod.

As people have said, trying to include us for an 8 dollar increase is a bit of a stretch when they want so much more in their higher tiers for similar privileges.

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.