RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

HL2 aged very well IMHO. Still looks good.

I like it's looks too, always have, but it really is starting to get bit rough on the edges.

Facial animations are still top notch though.

DirectX 11.1 not coming to Windows 7

Yo MS, keep up the good work at pissing off your customers.

*Gasp!*

"Perhaps the highest profile difference between the new version and the older DirectX 11 is that DirectX 11.1 has native stereoscopic 3D support"... a truly essential feature in next-gen gaming. How could I possibly have tolerated the flat look of my games the last 25+ years??? :blink:

I can no longer see any reason not to rush out and wave my credit card at Microsoft and yell "Charge!"

Joking aside, you had me worried for a moment there Morgoth :p

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wonder if this is old news, but -

Talks about BIS near the end of his time, etc. That channel has a fair amount of interviews with developers, too.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DirectX 11.1 not coming to Windows 7

Yo MS, keep up the good work at pissing off your customers.

*Gasp!*

"Perhaps the highest profile difference between the new version and the older DirectX 11 is that DirectX 11.1 has native stereoscopic 3D support"... a truly essential feature in next-gen gaming. How could I possibly have tolerated the flat look of my games the last 25+ years??? :blink:

I can no longer see any reason not to rush out and wave my credit card at Microsoft and yell "Charge!"

Higher = Better o'rite?

They updated HL2 to the Orange Box version of source, it looks a lot better than it did on release.

I like it's looks too, always have, but it really is starting to get bit rough on the edges.

Facial animations are still top notch though.

Bloodlines uses the same engine, facial animations for Bloodlines and HL2 still some of the best around.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Wonder who will buy Relic and Volition.

You mean if.

I think in case of Volition the question is indeed who.

When THQ troubles first surfaced it was already said that Activision was ready to snatch them.

Relic and the other ongoing THQ projects like South Park are not nearly as attractive.

Even if something like the rumored Squre-Enix buyout was to happen there is no guarantee that things would proceed as planed.

I feel sorry for Relic - they always deliver a good product.

On the other hand, this might mean they can finally stop making Warhammer games.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Hm, Hitman Absolution got a harsh review from PCG apparently.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/10682/article/hitman-absolution-is-a-mess-gets-torn-apart-in-pc-gamer-review/

If Hitman: Absolution is on your Holiday list, you may be in for a big disappointment.

The Christmas 2012 issue of PC Gamer contains a review by Tom Francis who did a number on Hitman: Absolution with some very unflattering things to say about it. The fact that the review's sub-header reads "Hitman: Absolution is a mess. The police do not expect Blood Money is involved" should say everything.

IO Interactive and Square Enix may have very little to be proud of as every portion of the game is said to be bad. The review pans the game for its art style and overuse of bloom, poor story, small levels, pointless objectives (e.g. open a door), no saves, bad AI.

The review also points out that the game actively encourages you to kill guards and sentries unlike previous Hitman games, which emphasized stealth over all else. Not that it matters—as many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless.

Finally, the review notes that the PC port of the game was done so poorly that the game even tells you to "gently" press your mouse button, as if it were the same as an X360 controller. In addition, the performance of the game was sub-par on PC Gamer's machines, running at a sluggish 15~ FPS.

For all their efforts, the game receives a score of 62 out of 100 with a verdict that reads "A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great."

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

what's wrong with Warhammer games?

Boring.

At least Dawn of War 2 was, after the great DoW.

The prospect of getting Homeworld 3 however, trumps any and all Warhammer games for me.

Hm, Hitman Absolution got a harsh review from PCG apparently.

http://www.gameranx....c-gamer-review/

If Hitman: Absolution is on your Holiday list, you may be in for a big disappointment.

The Christmas 2012 issue of PC Gamer contains a review by Tom Francis who did a number on Hitman: Absolution with some very unflattering things to say about it. The fact that the review's sub-header reads "Hitman: Absolution is a mess. The police do not expect Blood Money is involved" should say everything.

IO Interactive and Square Enix may have very little to be proud of as every portion of the game is said to be bad. The review pans the game for its art style and overuse of bloom, poor story, small levels, pointless objectives (e.g. open a door), no saves, bad AI.

The review also points out that the game actively encourages you to kill guards and sentries unlike previous Hitman games, which emphasized stealth over all else. Not that it matters—as many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless.

Finally, the review notes that the PC port of the game was done so poorly that the game even tells you to "gently" press your mouse button, as if it were the same as an X360 controller. In addition, the performance of the game was sub-par on PC Gamer's machines, running at a sluggish 15~ FPS.

For all their efforts, the game receives a score of 62 out of 100 with a verdict that reads "A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great."

Strange. One would think that after finally getting it right (sorta) with Blood Money, they'd at least be able to copy/paste that level of quality.

The obvious thing for MS to do is to make the nextbox use 11.1; or a win8 SP1 exclusive 12 having ported 11.1 to 7 to show how nice they are. If all the new cross platform games need a win8 exclusive DX version then the push to upgrade gets a lot stronger than just for '3d'. That didn't happen last time but if they are serious about trying to unify operating systems across hardware and bringing Live to PCs etc and all the stuff they seem to be serious about then that is what they will do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealed-1996-NOS-WIZARDRY-Gold-PC-Video-Game-Sir-Tech-1-/140884682458?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item20cd61a6da&clk_rvr_id=410065856068

A certain guy is selling old assets from the bankrupt Sir-Tech. Including almost all the sketches, game design, and other stuff on the often rumored (but now we know it is true) The Stones of Arnheim, which was cancelled sadly. There is a mega thread on the codex here for more info (and lulz).

Meh, not giving me any hope. People who have played about a third of it, somehow, are saying on reddit that the review is inaccurate. But then again, that's the average reddit plebe, so who knows.