New Vegas, for my sins

Cantousent

I was changing the sound a couple days ago and realized I'd started my current run on hard. Combat hasn't been too terribly difficult, but I have to say that I found a couple of things notable about the dlc. First of all, it's hard to sneak. With a maxed sneak and even using a stealthboy and other sneak enhancing stuff, things see you out way farther than in the main title.

I just don't see how lobotomites can have such high perceptions. Sheesh.

Those two things are what bothered me the most on OWB. Heck, probably the only two things that really bothered me in it (playing a sneaky character in my first game of FO:NV). Lobotomites with a perception/detection ability that leaves sniffer dogs green with envy is silly in an unfunny way.

Edit: The one thing it reminded me of was the mutated hillbillies in Point Lookout which were equally silly with their headshot immunity and magic bullet soaking capability.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've always loved Old World Blues. Probably because I love Fallout 2's humor, and Old World Blues is like an entire add-on dedicated to the Fallout 2 style of humor.

Oddly enough though, my favorite add-on writing wise is Dead Money. I just love the atmosphere and the story.

I liked OWB, but it was too dense (and had too many bullet-sponge enemies, also sneaking didn't work there,) the game region was too compact and the dialogue was so constant and rapid that it got hard to remember even some great, hilarious gems of writing. If it had been slower paced, had non-bullet sponge enemies and was more geographically spread out (and also if it didn't crash the game when fast travelling so frequently,) it would have been my favorite DLC.

Edited by AGX-17

I liked OWB, but it was too dense (and had too many bullet-sponge enemies, also sneaking didn't work there,) the game region was too compact and the dialogue was so constant and rapid that it got hard to remember even some great, hilarious gems of writing. If it had been slower paced, had non-bullet sponge enemies and was more geographically spread out (and also if it didn't crash the game when fast travelling so frequently,) it would have been my favorite DLC.

I agree with all of the above, but it was still my favourite DLC. It actually felt more like an expansion than a DLC.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Haven't played Lonesome Road yet, but so far my favourite DLC is Blood Money, loved the characters, the dead ones were great too, not so much Dean Domino, I didn't really get that guy.

Old World Blues, in terms of gameplay wasn't great, but the environment was interesting, I loved the references, the plot was cool, and it was really funny. I didn't like the talking to your own brain, or not having a brain, that didn't make sense, and I'd like that stuff to be on periphery and rare like the special encounters. Old World Blues reminded me of Psychonauts from early on, as if Raz was in a crazed sci-fi junkie's brain that had nerd issues in high school and was obsessed with reds under their bed.

Honest Hearts, didn't really like that much at all. The enemies in that were bullet sponges, also the giant green geckos murdered me a lot, killed me quickly, came out of no where, were super fast, and clipped through the terrain all the time.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Old World Blues is the only DLC I haven't played.

Dead Money's story was pretty cool, but the constant beeping I found more annoying than fun.

Lonesome Road was good, too. An interesting DLC that adds depth to the Courier's background.

Honest Hearts was solid, but the story was a bit disappointing.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm surprised how depressing New Vegas can be, with all of it's delightfully nerdy humor. Lily is one of the most depressing characters I've ever seen in a game.

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

I think the Auld Lang Syne quest is the most depressing and uplifting of the whole game. It actually turned things around and made me put myself in the position of the Enclave. I don't know who designed that questline, but it was excellent. I think, before New Vegas, FO2 was my favorite of the series. This brings me to my thoughts about Arcade Gannon, of course, but I've learned that my opinions on a subject seem considerably deeper after a long night of indulging and so I'm going to wait. Then, to make it worse, when I put those thoughts to words, it will be long winded and stuffy, which discourages me further. My thoughts on Arcade Gannon aren't important. However, the Auld Lang Syne quest is superb, regardless of what insights I might have thought i had in my Irish soaked brain. No need to delve in Arcade Gannon and his counter culture experience further than that, I suppose.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think the Auld Lang Syne quest is the most depressing and uplifting of the whole game. It actually turned things around and made me put myself in the position of the Enclave. I don't know who designed that questline, but it was excellent. I think, before New Vegas, FO2 was my favorite of the series. This brings me to my thoughts about Arcade Gannon, of course, but I've learned that my opinions on a subject seem considerably deeper after a long night of indulging and so I'm going to wait. Then, to make it worse, when I put those thoughts to words, it will be long winded and stuffy, which discourages me further. My thoughts on Arcade Gannon aren't important. However, the Auld Lang Syne quest is superb, regardless of what insights I might have thought i had in my Irish soaked brain. No need to delve in Arcade Gannon and his counter culture experience further than that, I suppose.

I think it was Sawyers creation and I agree - it was a great contrast to Fallout 3.

Whereas Bethesda did a 'crash course to fallout' with player destroying another base in New Vegas you could take part in 'last ride of the enclave'.

Now if only Fallout 4 could let enclave go.

Incidentially, Chris Avellone confirmed on Twitter a while back (when the DLCs were actually new,) that they apparently nerfed Sneaking in OWB and Lonesome Road. Can't remember what the justification was, though (probably memory again.) And no clue how one would go about fixing it. So yeah, sneaking was broken and OWB had bullet sponge enemies that could spot you even with a stealth boy on. Which is why it's so painfully ironic that the flagship piece of loot is a "stealth suit" (which talks in an irritating voice? How does that improve stealthiness? And why doesn't the radio decrease sneaking ability?!) that can't work in its area of origin.

I'm surprised how depressing New Vegas can be, with all of it's delightfully nerdy humor. Lily is one of the most depressing characters I've ever seen in a game.

Might as well make things right (do what nature would have, if not for The Master,) and put her down, then.

Edited by AGX-17

lol You're a bad, bad man, AGX.

...But, seriously, it wasn't just the stealthsuit that was incongruous. There is also Christine's Silenced Sniper Rifle. I mean, I used that rifle the whole rest of the game. You can head shot things waaaay out and then, if it's a deathclaw or something that can actually survive a critical or if it had friends, the bad guys mill around aimlessly because they don't know where you are. Truly excellent. Out of everything from the dlc, I have one thing from Broken Road and two things from OWB I still use.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

• 3 months later...

looks like this is the only New Vegas thread that wasn't nuked. so I'll ask here.

has anyone tried this mod:
http://www.vaultmp.com/content.php

?

seems that people have finally managed to write network code for gamebryo, and it's possible to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas in multiplayer :o does anyone have experience with this thing? because it sounds awesome

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

In unrelated news, we've restored The Vault's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vault-Fallout-Wiki/359475587501317

More details here, but basically, Facebook deleted the page after an admin posted a malicious link and ignored requests for help in restoring years of effort that went into building the damn thing.

****ing digital age.