For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

I do not put this ahead of any gameplay related things or story/dialogue. However It's not a huge massive undertaking, or something that would require huge resources.

Ah, but it's a slippery slope, isn't it? Before you know it everybody begins wailing the songs we see elsewhere, priorities become skewed and games become compromised because people demand the wrong sorts of things from games. A little sensitive you might think? Well just look where we are: On a forum for a game which needed the help of KICKSTARTER in order to become a reality. Why? Because at some point years ago people started demanding the wrong things from cRPGs.

• Like 5

I suspect many here are going to be sideswiped with reality when they get the game and are suddenly reminded of something the devs have been pointing out to them from the start: Isometric top down view. In the spirit of the IE Games. Meaning, having a debate about the color schemes of the gear that 2 1/2in characters are wearing seems to be just one step above utter pointlessness.

Even in games like Baldur's gate you can see that in especially on your inventory screen.

I suspect many here are going to be sideswiped by reality when they get the game and are suddenly reminded of something the devs have been pointing out to them from the start: Isometric top down view. In the spirit of the IE Games. Meaning, having a debate about the color schemes of the gear that their 2 1/2 inched sized toons are wearing seems to be just one step above utter pointlessness.

Baldur's Gate was an older game at a much lower resolution.

It's 2012 and many pc players have screens that are even larger then your 1920x1080. On top of that the details of things will likely be much greater then they were in BG and those classic rpgs where computers were using much much lower quality processors/ram/video cards.

Also if you read the faq it mentions that the camera will probably be zoomable, and characters will be 3d.

Back when I played WoW I took pride in my rag-tag mish-mash of fugly armor. It showed where I had been and what I was able to accomplish. A full set of matching gear looks so boring... like your character got their equipment out of a retail catalog. I would prefer if they did not make the game a 'doll dressing' simulator.

Edited by Gurkog
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I suspect many here are going to be sideswiped by reality when they get the game and are suddenly reminded of something the devs have been pointing out to them from the start: Isometric top down view. In the spirit of the IE Games. Meaning, being concerned about the color schemes of the gear that your 2 1/2 inch tall toons are wearing seems to be just one step above utter pointlessness. Unless you have robotic eyes.

you don't need robotic eyes to see the difference with armor in something like ToEE.

Edited by ogrezilla

You do if you're playing a halfling. lol

And even if you're not. TOEE has cloaks. Totally visable, sure, and they manage to overshadow and cover pretty much everything else you're wearing. So the "important" issue becomes "what's my cloak look like?" Well, I really liked the look of Senshock's cloak. and the Fire temple cloaks look nice too. But I'm certainly not going to wear either one when I just got done crafting myself a Cloak of resistance +5.

Edited by Stun

You do if you're playing a halfling. lol

And even if you're not. TOEE has cloaks. Totally visable, sure, and they manage to overshadow and cover pretty much everything else you're wearing. So the "important" issue becomes "what's my cloak look like?" Well, I really liked the look of Senshock's cloak. and the Fire temple cloaks look nice too. But I'm certainly not going to wear either one when I just got done crafting myself a Cloak of resistance +5.

unless you are looking down instead of up...

True. If you're looking "down" (toon is facing the camera) you can see that your character is wearing silver covered armor, and a helmet with horns, or the purple elven chain. Can you see the texture and design details of any of that (let alone the fact that your gloves don't match your boots)? Nope. But You could if you zoomed closer... to maybe 5 feet away and at eye level... no wait, those games didn't let you do that. And neither will PE.

This whole discussion is so much ado about nothing.

Edited by Stun

Dear god no. Function over form in all capacity. If the lads and ladies at Obsidian find they have time to kill and nothing better to do, then maybe, but I'd rather they devise, implement, and balance actual functions that aren't relegated to the realm of dolly dress up.

If we are talking about armor that can "change" how about discussing crafting systems that aren't ridiculous, painful, imbalanced, or useless? In such a case perhaps allow someone to select from pre-existing models since they are "making it themselves", but otherwise no. Armor and equipment is about function, not appearance -- appearance came later when people wanted to show off how rich or important they (thought they) were.

• Like 3

True. If you're looking "down" (toon is facing the camera) you can see that your character is wearing silver covered armor, and a helmet with horns, or the purple elven chain) Can you see the texture and design details of any of that (let alone the fact that your gloves don't match your boots)? Nope. But You could if you zoomed closer... to maybe 5 feet away and at eye level... no wait, those games didn't let you do that. And neither will PE.

This whole discussion is so much ado about nothing.

last I heard characters will be 3d modeled and the game may allow zooming.

as for being a discussion about nothing, absolutely.

I often wind up modding gear just to get the look I like with the stats I've earned through play. I say if it's practicable and not a huge resource sink, put this option in.

At any rate, it would be *far* less resource hungry than including mod tools and have 50% of their utility for me and my ilk.

Of course they would in the real world. Also in the real world "armor/weapons" wouldn't have stats either, it would be a skill-based system where the person with the higher skill/trianing would easily beat someone , even if that person had better equipment then him/her.

What?

Weapons and armor is real world does perform differently.

They do have "stats" if you so will.

Or do you really think a mastercrafted italian field plate performs the exact same as german gothic plate? Do you think they are equally thick or angled in all the places?

Don't be absurd. The battles in a CRPG aren't decided by items alone.

Meanwhile those of us who would like to upgrade our equipment but be able to keep our characters looking reasonable/how we think looks best, could, without being penalized for making such a choice.

Stupid vanity and bad roleplaying combined into one.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

If it's using the same engine as wasteland 2, then you're going to be disappointed in the Zoom feature. It doesn't zoom in nearly as close as you apparently think it will.

That's not how game engines work.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

If it's using the same engine as wasteland 2, then you're going to be disappointed in the Zoom feature. It doesn't zoom in nearly as close as you apparently think it will.

That's not how game engines work.

Do you really think that with a 2d environment, you will have a lot of zoom options... not to mention that the camera will be fixed?

Seriously.. there are more important things to discuss than a shape of someones underwear... Certainly at the moment when stretch goals and the "global" design is still not set in stone. That's what will drive resource (i.e.) cash and time consumption throughout the whole development cycle...

I'm done with this topic...

• Like 1

. . .

Yes, I do realize you can put words in my mouth, regardless of how far flung they are from the very simple and realistic statement that, "That's not how game engines work." I made no commentary beyond that, regardless of your post's implications of the contrary.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

At first i thought that it was a troll from the 'Codex, but then i realized that those arguing most against the OP where from the 'Codex as well. So it this guy for real, or are they trolling themselves? My head is spinning...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I often wind up modding gear just to get the look I like with the stats I've earned through play. I say if it's practicable and not a huge resource sink, put this option in.

At any rate, it would be *far* less resource hungry than including mod tools and have 50% of their utility for me and my ilk.

MOD tools are an infintely better idea. With them you cna make new campaigns, quests, items, NPCs..change mechanics...the works.

These vanity requests deserve nothing but scorn.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

At first i thought that it was a troll from the 'Codex, but then i realized that those arguing most against the OP where from the 'Codex as well. So it this guy for real, or are they trolling themselves? My head is spinning...

Why the heck would the Codex want to sabotage their own last, best hope for a proper RPG in years? There hasn't been one since Knights of the Chalice.

• Like 1