Gamers Against Bigotry

It's a common mistake, but I'm not actually the President

I think you have a lot of unexplored potential on that front.
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And so the endless fight against The Man continues.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

New York Times has written an article about the issue. It can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/us/sexual-harassment-in-online-gaming-stirs-anger.html?_r=2

Some choice snippets:

Stephen Toulouse, who was the head of enforcement for Xbox Live from 2007 until February, policed the most egregious behavior on the network, owned by Microsoft. And women were the most frequent target of harassment, he said. In that role, Mr. Toulouse experienced the wrath of angry gamers firsthand, who figured out where he lived, then called the police with false reports about trouble at his house (more than once, SWAT teams were sent).

...many women gamers are documenting their experiences on blogs like

Should just remove voice chat from games all together.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"And women were the most frequent target of harassment, he said. "

I don't believe this bull for a second. No way to prove this. I bet it's ebcause males don't report it as much. I get 'harassed', 'bullied'; and the like quite a bit but I never report it because laugh my ass off.

And, I like to know when and where these women are who are getting bullied since 99% of the people I encounter online happen to be male.

Why are they make up false flag 'facts'?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah is like that one time on the playground when all the boys where playing football and along comes "Suzie" saying that she wants to join in. As soon as "Suzie" falls to the ground she runs home crying to her mother that someone pushed her and like an unreasonable adult ( "Mum") instead of telling her daughter not to play boy's rough games she starts supervising. Everybody left after that, I mean nobody could kick the ball with impunity or even so much as touch another player.

Man, why do girls have to ruin boy's games?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I revisited an old mud (multi-user text game) I used to play, for old times sake.

One of the old players were still there, and he was now married. He was playing with his wife, and she was basically running the entire place. She didn't lead a single group, and still she would bitch, exclude, harass and single out people she didn't like. I tried to lead a few raids, and when I told her to do a few things, she would complain loudly that her trigger-set made he *do* things, and she didn't know how to turn it off(!) Her husband had set it up for her, and she was gonna have him "chastise" me for speaking to her. She told me to stop dying when I lead raids, so she could afk without having to worry that she would die. Now she spends her time spreading gossip about my character, and when I occationally log on, I find myself drawn back into old neurotic high-school scenarios.

I have a hard time believing that girls are *targets* and *victims* on the internet. Women have always been better at social-games, always have, always will - whether it's on the internet or IRL. No need to pity them. :p

J.

Edited by Junai

Enough with the manufactured 'identity' schtick already.

As members of the irritable-and-reactionary-non-brylcreem-using-newspaper-ignoring-left-handed-blue-eyed community, we feel outraged/horrified/shocked/appalled/gratified that this disgraceful/shocking/outrageous/appalling/positive behaviour/speech/action/omission...

Gaming is an action not an identity. If it forms such a large part of your life that it begins to look like one, it is time to turn the machine off and go outside.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

That site where people post the crap they receive is pretty hilarious. Don't they have controls on Xbox so no random being can IM you ?

I revisited an old mud (multi-user text game) I used to play, for old times sake.

One of the old players were still there, and he was now married. He was playing with his wife, and she was basically running the entire place. She didn't lead a single group, and still she would bitch, exclude, harass and single out people she didn't like. I tried to lead a few raids, and when I told her to do a few things, she would complain loudly that her trigger-set made he *do* things, and she didn't know how to turn it off(!) Her husband had set it up for her, and she was gonna have him "chastise" me for speaking to her. She told me to stop dying when I lead raids, so she could afk without having to worry that she would die. Now she spends her time spreading gossip about my character, and when I occationally log on, I find myself drawn back into old neurotic high-school scenarios.

I have a hard time believing that girls are *targets* and *victims* on the internet. Women have always been better at social-games, always have, always will - whether it's on the internet or IRL. No need to pity them. :p

J.

At the risk of incurring their wroth I would agree. Women tend to be masterful at the wounded bird act, instantly drawing sympathy and allies from all sides.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

No. Girls are awesome. Not all girls act like that. heck, I've seen boys act like the girl in your fake story. Don't be sexist.

No, Women are awesome. Women are supposed to have the maturity to deal with a bunch boys trying to ruffle her feathers. Women I love, girls I subliminally make fun of and wait to see if they get the subtext.

On the other hand maybe games should have separate servers for men and women.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

"And women were the most frequent target of harassment, he said. "

I don't believe this bull for a second. No way to prove this.

This is true, women get "harassed" much much more often. One in three women was on the verge of being raped at least once in her lifetime. There's an independent film called "femme de la rue" I think, by a young Belgian girl who lives in Brussels, in a bad neighborhood. At some point she started wearing a hidden camera and a microphone. She recorded how she's been harassed on average 10 times a day, being called "whore", "****", being invited to a hotel to ****, etc.

It's all real. Here, I found the link http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/2012/07/belgiumdoc/

I love how the video starts with a montage of people looking at her arse.

Other than that, yes it's probably momentously annoying being the constant object off attention from horny guys. I can't even imagine.

Appart from that we are talking about games. You know, you can't actually SEE the other person, much less his or her arse.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

"This is true, women get "harassed" much much more often. "

Make believe numbers are make believe.

"There's an independent film called "femme de la rue" I think, by a young Belgian girl who lives in Brussels, in a bad neighborhood. At some point she started wearing a hidden camera and a microphone. She recorded how she's been harassed on average 10 times a day, being called "whore", "****", being invited to a hotel to ****, etc."

Only gullible people wholeheartedly believe documentaries aren'tm meant to maipulate their audiences a certain way.

But, hey, they anti female sexism is fantastic. I forgot people believe that women are weak and pathetic and need to be babysat like little kiddies. I prefer to see woman as grown ups who can take care of themselves and won't turn into a pile of horrible crying nerves whenever things get tough.

This is the same attitude where it's considered mortal sin for a 18 year old male to have sex with a 16 year old female but a-ok for a 30 year female to have sex with a 15 year old female.

LMAO

Sexism. Sexism is NOT male only disease.

P.S. I'm a ugly piece of crap and I've been hit on my share. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh, you misunderstand, Volourn. It's not like I object, really. Women are hardwired to enjoy male attention, in whichever form it presents itself. That's why I wrote harass in quotation marks in my original post.

Think about it. If milfs hit on you and tell you you've got a great ass or call you a DAWG, etc, and this happens ALL THE TIME, wouldn't you feel flattered? Even if you've got no desire to sleep with them, it's still nice to know those old milfs dream about getting laid by a guy like you. Awesome!

>>Only gullible people wholeheartedly believe documentaries aren'tm meant to maipulate their audiences a certain way.

I filter out all the bull****, don't worry. I have a bull**** meter that goes off ten times a day even when I read this forum.

Edited by Delfosse

Delfosse, you are assuming that women are rational beings rather than a maelstrom of emotions. No offense to any ladies.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif