SW: The Old Republic Part 4

Rosbjerg

While I agree it's a significant update, it's for another reason than Nepenthe probably...

They promised they were going to post content updates every six weeks or so from now on, and this is the first sign they're actually going to deliver on that promise. Which is very good news indeed.

Well there were a whole bunch of rumours from the beginning that at some point as End-User game content you'd be able to unlock HK-47 (or at least, some version of him). I mean the Imperial encounter with him when doing that two-part flashpoint with Revan was quite entertaining.

Actually, I find the combat with HK more difficult then with Revan at the end of it...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well there were a whole bunch of rumours from the beginning that at some point as End-User game content you'd be able to unlock HK-47 (or at least, some version of him). I mean the Imperial encounter with him when doing that two-part flashpoint with Revan was quite entertaining.

Actually, I find the combat with HK more difficult then with Revan at the end of it...

That's not the only place where HK-47 is. :I

Advisory: Prepare to die!

I don't think they've thrown the class stories out of the window, I assume they'll return when they are done with Makeb (a Gree planet, which they've said will continue the class stories). ;) I assume that this is an Ilum-like daily area, one that has a slight story tying it together, y'know. I saw some of the stuff from the PTS, and it looks like the Hk51 quests drop BH comms...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

People playing for free :

• Have limited character creation options
  • Be restricted to three Warzones (PVP matches), three Flashpoints (dungeons) and three Space Missions (spaceship combat) a week
  • Not be able to take part in Operations (raids)
  • Not be able to equip purple artifact-quality items
  • Be restricted to five field revivals
  • Not get priority space in server log-in queues
  • Have a longer cooldown for Quick Travel
  • Not have access to Emergency Fleet Pass

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 1 month later...

Hai guis, I bought some play time for the holidays. I'm going to check if the game still has performance issues and stuff... So what server are you guys using?

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hai guis, I bought some play time for the holidays. I'm going to check if the game still has performance issues and stuff... So what server are you guys using?

I got issues now that I didn't have at lunch. Extreme audio corruption within instances.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Currently all my characters are on The Shadowlands server, East Coast PvE.

Republic characters Dhar (smuggler), Ehtiar (jedi knight), Khalayla (jedi consular)

Imperial characters Drayke (sith inquisitor), Khael (sith marauder), Khayul (bounty hunter)

Been in a small guild (well, it's the same guild on both Imp and Republic side) thats fairly casual and friendly rather then heavily organised and scheduled.

Hm, it's weird, I've never had any major issues performance wise with the game. As long as you don't count the pain of logging off, which for some reason my pc slows down like a broken ankled cow trying to take a corner for about 5 minutes after I quit out...

Battleground performance for me(and many others) was quite bad. Frames would drop to low tens right from the start and would stay there for the duration of the battleground. I could zoom so close that only thing I see on my screen is the wall and I still would not get frames over 20.

The engine isn't(or wasn't) very good with large battles.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm on red eclipse. I think, I haven't been in for some weeks, real life's been hell. Gonna try to finish my second storyline at some point.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And the 1.6 update hit today with a few bug fixes, an extra pvp warzone, and some other minor tweaks.

Now every character that hits 50th level gets an email when they hit fleet which basically gives them 99 Tionese commendations do pick up advanced gear.. I guess they wanted to make it easier for people to jump into hardmode flashpoints.

Also, they've dropped all the Battlemaster pvp stuff, and now you can pick up the War Hero pvp stuff for normal warzone commendations, and a new Elite War Hero for ranked warzone commendations.

There's bound to be a bunch of other small stuff tweaked around there as well...

If it happens, we'll have to go to a server and form an SODOFF guild or something >.>

The first few months after the game came out, there was about half a dozen of us on the same server.. but I think we pretty much were all online at totally different times anyhow.

Yeah, I had a couple good times with Raithe, but once I got back to work it was pretty hard to meet up time wise. Plus I was having some odd latency issues on the server, so I jumped to another one.

I remember we had one good night where we blew through a couple flashpoints, that was fun. It was actually the only time I've done any of them.

I played SWTOR to about level 15. It's the first "themepark mmo" I've played since WOW, which I stopped playing around '06. It was interesting to play, because I couldn't really put my finger on why people didn't like it. I did read reviews that the first 20 levels are very polished (and I noticed this is definitely true), while the latter 30 levels are not. Would you guys pin that on the reason why SWTOR failed to hold onto players? The game felt very much like WOW, so I can't understand why people who like WOW wouldn't feel at home. Was it the lack of content maybe for the end game?

About the only complaint I really have for the game, beside it being a themepark MMO (I don't care for that anymore myself), is that the passive skill tree - at least for the Sith Sniper Agent, was terrible. There was like, nothing I wanted. And any passives I did want, were like +3% damage with at most, two or three points available to invest in. Totally lackluster and boring. I recall WOW having pretty diverse skill trees, so even though they didn't exactly offer huge increases either, I remember it feeling like I was making a big choice by specializing. But that didn't appear to be the case for SWTOR.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I'd say the end game content was a big issue. I know a lot of people that played right to level 50, and then cancelled their sub. It just didn't offer enough. I'm not even sure that WoW had significantly more to do at the end game than TOR, but WoW has had long enough to develop that content and so it still sits on top of the MMO mountain.

Really I just don't think TOR is a good enough MMO, or at least it isn't one yet. Games like Rift and Guild Wars 2 have embraced some dramatic changes in order to engage MMO players, and TOR is simply lacking on the social and gameplay aspects.

That being said, they created an amazing atmosphere, and they tell some great stories. But those aren't really what keep people paying month after month. It's too much of a single player experience. I hope it recovers, or rather stabilizes long enough to improve. I think it will, the servers are packed right now and they are making improvements and adding content at a good rate.

I know there are infrastructure issues which affect content delivery, which sucks big time for the project :(

Was very disappointing because my best friend was part of the downsizing when it seemed evident they weren't going to stabilize at the numbers they wanted.

The main reason people left was the lackluster endgame content. From that perspective the game has improved a lot and there are now a fair amount of things to do. The main problem with end game right now (according to my guildies) is that there are few things to do outside of raid nights. Basically they want more stuff to do while not running ops and flashpoints. Including something like pazaak I think would go a long way to keep more people interested longer.