Shadowrun Returns

I like what I have played so far, no doubt about it. But, the lack of looting enemies and manual saving will be a minus in my book. I like the graphics and the writing is better than I though. I haven't delved deep into combat yet, but the few fights I have been in have been good.

The levels were all reasonably short I found, and it seems an autosave happens when you change levels.  In the early going it'd be about 5-10 minutes it seems, assuming you figure "I just have to finish this level first" 2 seconds after the previous save point as being a not entirely insane way of assessing the system.

Heh, my kids are less understanding about the saving situation.  :p

I am absolutely loving it so far.  They've really nailed the Shadowrun vibe, I love the skill progression and my character is awesome.  I went with a Street Samurai Ork who loves pistols.  That's the same character I made in the PnP game in middle school, so I'm definitely basking in the memories.

Combat is slick and simple.  The writing has been very well done so far too.  I'm very happy, it has blown away my initial expectations when I pledged on Kickstarter.   

I'm debating between Decker and Mage. Are there lots of opportunities for being a Decker to be worthwhile?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I haven't even started playing yet. Unlike some people, I'm not allowed to play at work.

I'm debating between Decker and Mage. Are there lots of opportunities for being a Decker to be worthwhile?

Not necessarily. It's not like you simply can enter any system during combat and rerout systems freely. There are two or maybe three situations where you can really get to decking (although it's still very linear) and sometimes it helps you extract info. 

Elan_song.gif

Fair enough.  I didn't know this, so I didn't want to spoil for others (I never played the original).

It was a great surprise for my friend who just shared his experience with me on Steam (since he didn't follow the game).  So on that grounds, I considered it a spoiler as he found it awesome and unexpected.  Especially with the "I wonder if sending me to a morgue is an homage to the original?"

(Remember, not everyone actively follows the development of a game either).

Edited by alanschu

Brutus the Troll is killing stuff with his fists. That's the only way to do it (for now). I wasn't sure a Physical Adept would work out, but I've gotten a spell that improves unarmed damage and another one that gives me magic resistance. My new armor will make me an even better bullet sponge.

My friend also loaded up a Physical Adept, due to his love of him meleeing things (it's become a running joke that I will sass his avoidance of firearms, and he will sass my embracing of firearms, from FONV to now this :p ).

I was leaning towards rifle, but think that handgun may be better suited for a Decker type.  I haven't invested any skills into specializations yet, but will have to mull it over (since I doubt there are cloud saves for this beastie I'll need to redo the start anyways).

Not necessarily. It's not like you simply can enter any system during combat and rerout systems freely. There are two or maybe three situations where you can really get to decking (although it's still very linear) and sometimes it helps you extract info.

Better off with Mage, got it.

Are there interesting utility/debuff spells or is it nuke and heal?

I know nothing of character building in this universe. I'm just randomly picking what I think will work.

That's pretty much the way it is for me too.  I am just associating "Decker" with "Hacker" haha.

Played it for 3 hours now. Didn't notice the time pass.

My main problem with the game is the lack of a save system. Currently it relies on checkpoint, although, I haven't had to redo anything yet.

Otherwise, I really like the atmosphere, story, sound assets and graphics. The only downside is the animations which are a tad clunky. The UI is easy to navigate and understand, and the combat is easy to understand and fluid. Haven't encountered any bugs.

Playing a Dwarf Mage called Steely Greg :lol: Mainly spend my time nuking stuff and healing, but there are some buff/debuff spells as well. But I prefer the ones that combine debuffs with damage.

Looking forward to the user created content, and I hope they do well enough to make a Shadowrun 2. That fixes the few remaining issues original.gif

So far, based on my first impressions, I'd give the game a 8.5/10, dragged down primarily due to lack of manual saving.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

I've played for about an hour.  I'm playing an Ork Shaman named Restless Wolf.  I'm definitely liking the game so far.  I love reading all the flavor text and dialogue, they absolutely nailed the Shadowrun vibe, which they damn well should have since Jordan Weisman created the game in the first place.  I basically have just the bare minimum ranged skill to wield a rifle right now and try to keep back and let my summons do the dirty work.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wow, DRM and Steam sucks. I can't get an answer on if they added CEG on the Shadowrun or the Steam forums. Say what you will about Origin and Uplay, this wouldn't be an issue on those services because they at least let me play my games whenever I want.

I really hate lugging my desktop computer into town. I probably should have just asked for a refund, but man; it's Shadowrun.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.