Good old Games

Gorth

I'm probably the only one who can't play MoO on account of how ugly the game is. 

Alpha Centauri was dangerously close to the line too in that regard, but MoO is in a different ...galaxy... altogether. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Guest Slinky

Nope, you arent. I cant even play Alpha Centauri even if it's great otherwise, so MoO doesnt have much chance with me.

I would very likely love Outcast, but cant play it because it looks horrible. Been hoping a game like that with modern graphics for ages now.

Oh yeah, MoO is Infotari, isn't it? I guess someone might buy the IP from them, then we might finally get a third game in the series!

I'm about the only person in existence who actually liked MoO3

I actually enjoyed Moo3 as well.  Although it's not without its faults.

Nope, you arent. I cant even play Alpha Centauri even if it's great otherwise, so MoO doesnt have much chance with me.

I would very likely love Outcast, but cant play it because it looks horrible. Been hoping a game like that with modern graphics for ages now.

That was my experience with Outcast as well. I looked at all the picturesque vistas and though: if only I weren't able to count the voxels on the screen I'd enjoy this so much.

There's an other-worldliness about that game that resonated very strongly with me, dunno why that is. If I were to make a game, I'd definitely try to achieve that sort of atmosphere. 

I thought Mass Effect could offer a similar experience but it ended up being very safe and familiar, no novelty in it - the universe was more instantly familiar than a pair of worn slippers. And with too much killing, not really focused on adventuring and exploration.

So yeah, I fully understand what you're trying to say.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

• 5 weeks later...

Clive Barker’s Undying is on sale.

Quite good old FPS for those who missed it back in the day.

Except you'll be seeing more loading screens than game. I hated it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

GOG has a new portal for indies: http://www.gog.com/news/say_hello_to_gogcomindie

This week end, The Witcher 1 & 2 are 75% off: http://www.gog.com/promo/witcher_franchise_promo_220813

And there are many other games on sale (like King of Dragon Pass, Zafehouse Diaries, the Age of Wonder and Expeditions: Conquistador): http://www.gog.com/promo/thinking_gamers_delight_weekend_promo_230813

They have confirmed that AoW 3 will be on GOG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GlUzKwico&feature=youtu.be) and posted a gameplay video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL_fhkSgwfs&feature=youtu.be).

I have never played any AoW game, but the alpha video is pretty sweet, maybe I should give a try for the previous games.

Edit: I have just seen that the original gameplay video was posted in the News topic, sorry...

Edited by Huinehtar

Don't worry about it. If it is Age of Wonders you can double and triple post all you want, I'll support you ;)

I read bad things about Zafehouse Diaries (mainly that to reload your guns you have to do so by clicking on each single bullet sepparately - that would drive me crazy) so while I was interested, I haven't bought it.

King of Dragon Pass is a great game, though it is probably the worst GoG port, having trouble with screen resolutions, font size etc.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

They say Reus runs in XP with DX9c. The video card just needs to be DX10-compatible. I'm going to find out if this is true myself now eventually.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

• 5 weeks later...

I was going to complain about the missing Righteous Fire expansion missing from Privateer, but double checked and there it was. No idea how long ago it was added, but for a while now I've only been playing the original campaign since my CD version is several hundred km away.

Well, I know what I'll be playing this weekend.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Shadow Warrior released on GOG for $35.99, that's 10% off until next Thursday. The old point and clicker Flight of the Amazon Queen is also free to acquire today only, apparently it's GOG's fifth birthday. Tempus fugit eh?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Flight of the Amazon Queen has been free on GOG since it released about a week ago, and it will stay that way.  It's been free outside of GOG since 2004.  You've been able to download it for free right off the SCUMMVM website for almost 10 years.  It's a decent game, nothing special, but not bad.  It's pretty much the definition of average.

Happy birthday, GOG!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Did not know that Keyrock, much obliged.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Did not know that Keyrock, much obliged.

No problem.  Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beneath a Steel Sky have both been freeware for about a decade.  They're the 2 freebie games you could always play on SCUMMVM without having to purchase anything, hence they were always available right on the SCUMMVM website.  Of the two, Beneath a Steel Sky is much better (it's a classic), but they're both worth playing if you're into pnc adventures.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hmm,

not only did Syndicate get upgraded to Syndicate Plus (American Revolt) they also upgraded Dungeon Keeper to Dungeon Keeper Gold (Deeper Dungeons).

Similar upgraded were Magic Carpet and Populous.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free. Send an email to thanksobama@gog.com with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

http://www.gog.com/news/special_promo_shutdown_promo

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not sure if them trying to dabble with political issues of another country like that is a very good idea.

Not that I'd care, but it does sound dubious.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I don't see anything wrong with the promotion, and I definitely see the correlation between the promo theme and titles offered.  :p

In the end, it's an attention grab, one that I have no problems with.  Plus, they're giving out some free games to some folks.

/shrugs

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸