Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

C2B

Colin McComb has written a lot of the Planescape P&P stuff, he was also one of the other brains behind Torment, other than MCA. And he was very interactive on the forums back in the day when torment was being developed.

Sp definitely good news for Wasteland 2.

• 3 weeks later...

A YouTube video is available

though at a slightly lower quality. For something so early in development it looks promising, looks-wise. I doubt it will be a state of the art title as far as the tech goes by the end of development, but I also doubt it will look ugly. Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Looks fine to me, camera doesn't need to go any closer in this kind of game (as much as I liked watching NWN2 battles at super-closeup).

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fine to me, camera doesn't need to go any closer in this kind of game (as much as I liked watching NWN2 battles at super-closeup).

I think the camera needs to make the tactical gameplay enjoyable and it needs to help convey the right atmosphere/vibe of the world. If the environments are built for the camera (as this one is), these distances/angles work well.

• 4 months later...

Okay, so, now that the first bit of gameplay footage has been released and my interest in this has grown, I've got a question for any "Wasteland experts" in here:

What is there in the core of Wasteland franchise that differentiates it from Fallout, the old Black Isle style Fallouts to be exact? Of course there's a somewhat different setting and you control a party instead of one character, but what else? (yes yes, spiritual sequels and whatnot, but there must be something noticeably different)

Is there anything in the first Wasteland that would make "Okay, so this WL2 is like a newer classic Fallout game" the wrong mindset to have while playing this game?

Edited by Nordicus

Looks good all in all.

• There seems to be a 3-option walking speed toggle in the action bar that he uses ~9.00 - if I'm not mistaken it seems to be sneak/walk/run or something like.
  • 9:15 shows the enemy ranger with a much much longer perception bar. Hopefully this is the case throughout the game. (One problem is variable player resolution - you don't want low res players finding some enemies see them before they see the enemies...)
  • The atmosphere is great but the UI is really ugly on so many ways. Hope they pretty it up and hope you can turn off things like green glow when selecting, combat in/out screens, etc.
  • Like the cover system taking flanking into account.
  • Dialogue is just passable, but we'll see how it is elsewhere. Don't really see the point of keyword system but no big deal. (Entering in your own is cool, but how often will it work?)

Looking forward to it.

And Fargo said that we won't have to rotate the camera... I hope that PE devs won't change their minds as well. I can live with that, of course, but this is just annoying, constantly moving it to see many small objects on the ground.

And Fargo said that we won't have to rotate the camera... I hope that PE devs won't change their minds as well. I can live with that, of course, but this is just annoying, constantly moving it to see many small objects on the ground.

Wasteland 2 is a 3D game, is it not? Camera rotation doesn't bother me in this case. Eternity is a bit different. 3D world with 2D assets layered over it. Fixed camera is probably still the only option.

You can't really do camera rotation or changing the camera angle with 2D backgrounds, so that's just not an option for Project: Eternity.  Personally I love being able to rotate the camera, so I'm happy they added this for Wasteland 2.  I also love the monochrome monitor weapon pictures in the UI.  There's something strangely appealing about monochrome in a modern game.  :wowey:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So yeah, combat, skill use, graphics all looked totally sweet.

The "cone-of-sight" I'm not a huge fan of in theory, but works well in games like commandos, I suppose.

The dialogue though was pretty bad. I really hate keyword dialogue...

Keyrock, on 11 Feb 2013 - 08:20, said:

You can't really do camera rotation or changing the camera angle with 2D backgrounds, so that's just not an option for Project: Eternity.

Yeah, you'd have to have separate bitmaps for each rotation for PE (ie render out facing north, then facing east etc) so it could be possible but would not be practical since bitmaps will take up a huge amount of memory as it is.

You can do rotations for tile based systems with 2d backgrounds such as a non 3d city builder type games (Zeus/ Pharaoh/ Caesar/ earlish Simcities etc) and 'pseudo 3d' games fairly easily, but that certainly doesn't describe PE.

This is old news but Wasteland 2 backers can download a free copy of The Bard's Taie from steam (also includes original trilogy). http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3113

It also includes the original Bard's Tale trilogy, making it a much more interesting proposition than it might seem at first! (though from the little I've played, the new title isn't exactly AWFUL either)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it was so much a "clarification" but rather a degree of response to the conversation system (the keyword becomes similar to a paraphrase or Alpha Protocol's one word synopsis now).

It'll mean spending more time writing out the dialogue but ultimately this is something that I enjoy and it was the one real "fault" (for lack of a better term) that i had with their demo.

It wasn't a clarification, they changed it after feedback, which is good. Not sure if it's a compromise, because now the keyword becomes the "subject" and every full dialogue system has that, it's basically the same as a full dialogue system, they've just converted the keyword system into one instead of having one from the beginning. As I said before, keyword/paraphrase can't communicate the nature of the dialogue, no one communicates in keywords, you need sentences, maybe even some tone/emotion modifiers and gestures in [] brackets or different text colour.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I don't know if it was so much a "clarification" but rather a degree of response to the conversation system (the keyword becomes similar to a paraphrase or Alpha Protocol's one word synopsis now).

It'll mean spending more time writing out the dialogue but ultimately this is something that I enjoy and it was the one real "fault" (for lack of a better term) that i had with their demo.

It wasn't a clarification, they changed it after feedback, which is good. Not sure if it's a compromise, because now the keyword becomes the "subject" and every full dialogue system has that, it's basically the same as a full dialogue system, they've just converted the keyword system into one instead of having one from the beginning. As I said before, keyword/paraphrase can't communicate the nature of the dialogue, no one communicates in keywords, you need sentences, maybe even some tone/emotion modifiers and gestures in [] brackets or different text colour.

Ahh gotcha, I should follow the official forum more closely but I don't want to know too much about how the blood sausage is made, thanks for clarification on the clarification.