Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Strange how they can't just copy animations from ME1, rather than somehow making them worse in folluw-up games. Not to mention, apparently holstering weapons is impossible too in ME3. I don't get it.

This has actually been explained on the BSN. An extra holstering animation would take 2-4MB runtime memory, something impossible with the limited 256MB main RAM in consoles.

Strangely enough, Batman AC uses the same engine, but has more and smoother animations.

Whatever. It's not a big deal to me.

It's not that holstering anim would take more. It's that the holstered and weapon ready animation sets are so wildly different. It changes the walk/run/stand/idle animations.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So you walk everywhere with your gun drawn, even on the ship ?

No. It only applies to combat missions.

Well the demo levels are really small anyway. But if there are larger levels crawling around at that speed would get old fast especially if it applies to "hub" areas where quests require lots travel.

Funny thing is after reading what was said here and on the Bio boards , I really want to play the Batman games now more than I do ME3.

Edited by BobSmith101

Well if the auto switching is well thought out you will always be in the POV you wanted. Not likely, but possible.

I'm not sure there is any. Unless they are very careful with what screenshots are released it's something that people will easily be able to see prior to release and judge themselves.

Came across the orginal post make of it what you will.

"It's a runtime memory cost, not a disk space issue. You need those anims for the non-combat areas... so they're going to be on disk regardless.

In order to support exploration in the combat areas, you'd need to have all the anims loaded in memory... so that would be things like the 8-way walks, runs, incline anims, idles, idle twitches, male/female variant overrides, eye noise... etc.

All in all (iirc) it came out to around 2-4MB, which is relatively significant. Also, as you've guessed, yes - I'm referring to the main game (as well as the demo"

Edited by BobSmith101

Saw the omni-tool as a melee weapon in one of the early trailers. Was looking quite intriguing, but it turns out to be rather slow, inflexible and very clunky. It takes about 1½-2 seconds to execute, maybe because it's like a mini-cutscene with animation and battlecry, which is a very long time in a game with moving targets. Tried that af first, shadow boxing.. At least the game is so linear and predictable that you can just camp it out near a spawn point. The Soldier got an Omni-tool, while the Vanguard got a Biotic Punch. Considering the loud roaring battlecry I guess it's pointless for sneaking up from behind on unsuspecting foes.. Kinda hard to remain hidden after such an announcement.

Both played on Narrative.. Which actually seems to be like god-mode.

The Vanguard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnszFJyT-Cw

The Soldier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZIOKp5F1fg

(Signatures: disabled) 

Heavy Melee is pretty incredible as an Infiltrator. On a decent difficulty, enemies will shoot at you if you try it as any other class. And when you get shot you slow down. So they can shoot you more.

Still, it's kind of disappointing. I was hoping it was an actual melee system since every class has a unique melee. Sentinel has two blades, for instance. But it's just a graphical difference. I had vague fantasies about charging at the bad guys just going to town. Not charging at a guy, holding the button, and waiting for the animation to end.

You get Heavy melee if run or storm as it is in ME and press the melee button. It kind of dislike it because it's not homing, so be prepared to miss. Especially in MP.

I only tried the Infiltrator , which was pretty gimped without a sniper rifle. Melee build would be effective though I imagine.

The Engineer which felt kind of overpowered in being able to sit behind cover and toss out drones/turrets (fully upgrade either for major laughs in the demo).

Soldier, because everyone said it was least affected by the 4 weapon demo load out (proved not to be the case but I was in "arcade" mode so it chose autobuild).

After that I was kind of bored mostly because the way the demo is structured has massive cooldowns on powers. I'll probably rent ME3 I want to see how it ends but the gameplay does not hook me the way ME2 did and I don't see myself playing it more than once because of that.

Anyway I'm going back to KOA until I finish it.

Mass Effect 2: Plot analysis 1 of 3

Nice read, actually.

Compared to the nonsense that started in ME2, ME1 seemed like to contain a halfway reasonable and functional plot. Instead of building on this, Bioware introduced new and unnecessary bloated crap like Cerberus, TIM, Miranda-ass, new species with no background explaination (at least in ME1 the Aliens told you a little story of their origin and disposition) etc. Well, done Mr. Walters & Co.

This is why you should let the original writer staff let finish a whole trilogy, not replace them with a bunch of noobs.

ME2 felt like an add-on or expansion pack more than actual sequel, that's for sure. The whole game was like an episode of Farscape or something, so i agree with Morgoth on that part.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You get Heavy melee if run or storm as it is in ME and press the melee button. It kind of dislike it because it's not homing, so be prepared to miss. Especially in MP.

That's not entirely true. There is a limited homing aspect to the heavy melee and if you hit it, your target will freeze in position while you charge up the attack.

There is also a slight charge forward as well so you don't have to be right on top of the enemy.

Edited by Deraldin

ME2's strenght was in the quality of the polish, the gunfights were fun, even if cover was grotesquely misused. Other than that a space opera, awkward romancing, some small semblance of a plot, nothing worth analysing though.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

And for the quirky marketing ploy...

Publisher Electronic Arts will be launching copies of the game into space using weather balloons that will be released in New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Berlin, London and Paris.

Each game has a GPS tracking device onboard and fans can track their return to the Earth on masseffect.com to find a copy and play it a week or more before the game hits stores

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

ME2's strenght was in the quality of the polish, the gunfights were fun, even if cover was grotesquely misused. Other than that a space opera, awkward romancing, some small semblance of a plot, nothing worth analysing though.

That was my feeling too the plot was pretty ignorable. Quite why ME3 does not feel as good as ME2 I can't really put my finger on it. More than likely it's the animations and ever drawn gun movement speed, or it could be that everyone just looks "wrong" now.

Theres a mistake in the intro of ME where the VS says something about a dreadnaught. It's actually a cruiser(this is confirmed by Bioware as a mistake). It's a minor thing completely not important in the grand scheme of things, but a mistake like that in the first level just kind of sums up the loose feeling of everything about ME3 like it was never quite finished,or like a beta version of MMO that just needs those final finishing touches.

It will make scads of money anyway, but it's just kind of sad that "good enough" seems to be Biowares new mantra.

And for the quirky marketing ploy...

Publisher Electronic Arts will be launching copies of the game into space using weather balloons that will be released in New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Berlin, London and Paris.

Each game has a GPS tracking device onboard and fans can track their return to the Earth on masseffect.com to find a copy and play it a week or more before the game hits stores

I can just see the headlines. "Teenager killed over Mass Effect3"

Just imagining what would happen if 20-30 people turned up at the same time is pretty frightening really. It strkes me as an irresponsible marketing gimmick.

Edited by BobSmith101

Anyone could have made that analysis, but what would be the point of stating the obvious? Boredom, unemployment, literal practice, the joy of bashing? Bioware has been using pretty much the same recipe since Baldurs Gate.. But now it's just more storytelling and completely linear and rigid in that way. It's an action adventure, a slightly interactive movie with action sequences as minigames, not a role playing game.

Let's not forget that this IS fantasy and it's Biowares FANTASY. Suspension of belief has always been part of the challenge of playing their games and enjoy them, but I think they are making too many completely unreasonable requests lately or maybe it's just because they offer so few bribes that I just can't accept it anymore.. Eye candy is nice, but I need some mental food too.. Some energy. ME Zero.

(Signatures: disabled)