Mass Effect 3

Gorth

For a supreme machine god race, you'd expect them to nuke everything from orbit or just send in the Collectors with their paralyzing bugs.

But then there'd nothing left for BioWare to tell a compelling and EPIC story.

In other words, BioWare dropped the ball on this. This is what happens if you take the original ME1 writer team, assign it to TOR and leave it to a bunch of college graduate noobs to finish the trilogy. It's like BioWare doesn't even care about consistency anymore.

Their mission is to wipe out most of the population and send technology back to the stone age. The only practical way to do that would be to take prisoners, say 10.000 and wipe out the rest with conventional means. Nuke the planet, you lose the eco system.

Every 50,000 years, the Reapers completely obliterate all intelligent life in the galaxy and "harvest" the dominant race. There are several worlds in the previous games with descriptions of ancient civilizations that mysteriously vanished. There's even a planet with a huge rift caused by a Reaper gun, and another planet with cities blown to dust.

This time around they're only interested in humanity for harvesting (because Shepard is awesome), and humanity is only reduced to Earth and a handful of colonies. So it doesn't make much sense that the Reapers are suddenly inept, unless Sovereign was somehow an exception. They could easily nuke the Asari, Salarians and Turians into oblivion so that they're completely unhindered to reap Earth, yet somehow they actually took a beeline to Earth (probably again because Shepard is awesome).

Anyway, yeah, BioWare wrote themselves into a corner and it's best to shut off your brain when playing this.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Anyone else find the graphics, poor compared to ME2? Maybe it was just the demo but the textures seem low-res.

Yeah, I found it a bit of a shock if I'm honest. There's a 2GB limit for Xbox demos, hopefully that's why.

Yeah, the high res textures aren't in the demo.

Looks like the release is just around the corner, I guess I should put my order in.

Anyone else find the graphics, poor compared to ME2? Maybe it was just the demo but the textures seem low-res.

Yeah, I found it a bit of a shock if I'm honest. There's a 2GB limit for Xbox demos, hopefully that's why.

Hopefully, still not a great way to promote your product. Can't imagine devs being pleased with reducing graphical quality for demos.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Actually that planet with the rift was caused by a glancing shot from some uber railgun, think that shot also killed the reaper in ME2. Still though, Reapers have some odd strategies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually that planet with the rift was caused by a glancing shot from some uber railgun, think that shot also killed the reaper in ME2. Still though, Reapers have some odd strategies.

Quite frankly, we're lucky they're bothering with the invasion as it currently is. The original invasion plan involved everyone waking up to their toasters and television sets hopping around firing laser beams while yelling "this hurts you" and "you can not comprehend."
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Would go nicely to AC/DC's "Who made Who" (Maximum Overdrive soundtrack) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So,, the reapers are synthetic, a race of ships ?. The boss voice is from that collector general.

Actually the Collector general was a red herring. Harbinger was a Reaper. He possessed the general from time to time. Just like Sovereign did with Saren in the final battle.

It was an awkward red herring. Because there are dialogues in the game where Shepard clearly knows what Harbinger is. They're missable. His assumption makes sense. The only reason we think it's the general is because of cutscenes the character can't see. Which means the player is being artificially deceived in a way the character is not. Hence awkward.

And yes, the Reapers are a race of ships.

So,, the reapers are synthetic, a race of ships ?. The boss voice is from that collector general.

Well if you take ME2's Reaper baby (T-800) then a Reaper would be a synthetic shell pumped full of organic goo processed from the civilisation being reaped. Then some sort of "ship" super structure is built around that. This is also backed up by the derelict Reaper having a core that caused the ship to cease to function when destroyed.

It was probably some doomed planets idea of a space ark until the AI went loopy or some such liquidated the populous and carried on the cycle indefinately adding more Reapers each time. Crazy AI is the only explanation I can see that makes sense.

Crazy AI is the only explanation I can see that makes sense.
When will the racism end. :(

So do any of you have any bogus Facebook accounts that i could invite to see what Recruit packs actually do?

Recruit packs get you bonus items for use in multiplayer. Could include one round powerups, special abilities (ammo refil, medigel to revive yourself after being downed), new weapons, or new character creation options. Basically the same stuff you'd get with the starter pack, just more variety and you can purchase it more than once.

Crazy AI is the only explanation I can see that makes sense.
When will the racism end. :(

From the AI's point of view it's probably quite logical. Just like from a human point of view (for the majority) eating meat is logical, but you can bet if the meat could do something about being eaten they would.

They're like really mean Shivans.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From the AI's point of view it's probably quite logical. Just like from a human point of view (for the majority) eating meat is logical, but you can bet if the meat could do something about being eaten they would.

Oh, I see. So being a "crazy AI" would be totally logical for AI.

How organocentric of you.

So anyone else playing the multiplayer yet? I managed to rope a couple friend into a few rounds last night. We only managed to get to wave 8 though. One of us disconnected and the rest of us got taken down by the swarms of enemies.

"ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!"