Movies you've seen recently

Tale

This has actually the potential to be better than that Battle LA movie, which doesn't really say a lot...

Purely for calibration purposes, can I ask when you were last genuinely happy about a movie?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This has actually the potential to be better than that Battle LA movie, which doesn't really say a lot...

Purely for calibration purposes, can I ask when you were last genuinely happy about a movie?

To be fair, the above two titles makes Independence Day seem like Haute Couture by comparison.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just saw the finale for Boardwalk Empire. Wow. Can't wait to see what they have in store for Season 3.

That ending, although expected still made my skin crawl. Shame though I really liked that character.

He was one of my favorite characters in Season 1, although less so in Season 2. He really won me over in the last few episodes though, especially with those flashbacks. I'm interested in seeing how Richard will react.

This was actually pretty funny.

Oh man. Makes me want to watch the first two again.

Has someone just made a Crysis movie? Edited by Oner

Just saw the finale for Boardwalk Empire. Wow. Can't wait to see what they have in store for Season 3.

That ending, although expected still made my skin crawl. Shame though I really liked that character.

He was one of my favorite characters in Season 1, although less so in Season 2. He really won me over in the last few episodes though, especially with those flashbacks. I'm interested in seeing how Richard will react.

This was actually pretty funny.

Oh man. Makes me want to watch the first two again.

I hate Nuckie now..

He totally deserved his wife's "prank" there at the end.. :sorcerer:

Has someone just made a Crysis movie?

This is actually what I thought too. Somebody did play Crysis 2 there. Ironically, I think Crysis 3 will rip off this movie in return.

Edited by Morgoth

I hate Nuckie now..

He totally deserved his wife's "prank" there at the end.. :lol:

I'm feeling the same. I love Steve Buscemi, but Nucky is kind of...despicable. I really don't like Margaret either, heh.

They are both complicated characters and should be judged in the context of their experiences. I'm hoping that they will delve into both of their back stories in Season 3.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

Absolutely loved it. I'm debating on the comparison to the first.

Came with a trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. Calling it:

Marion Cotillard is Talia

Virtually baseless speculation

League of shadows ends up working for Batman at the end. This could be the "rises." A bunch of Batmen with Wayne's ideal. Would be somewhat fitting given the comic's background for Talia and what might happen were Ra's to be out of the picture, as is now the case.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I certainly hope you're wrong. I know the

League of Shadows

is involved, but I hate it and I hope they're reduced to very little influence. There's no reason to go dipping back into that storyline, they finished it off. I hate second death star plots. And even though I know

Talia

is an established character in comic canon, relatives showing up in sequels is almost always a sign that the movie is going to be terrible, canon be damned.

Here's my prediction for Dark Knight Rises.

Batman is going to be killed off, and someone is going to take his place. That's been the whole point of these films, Bruce Wayne is just a man that can be destroyed, Batman is an incorruptable symbol.

Decided I had to get better quick, so unusually I took to the couch with blankets and TV, rather sit at the PC or head out and about. Glad I did because I caught John Wayne films The Alamo, and Rio Bravo.

I'm real glad I did, partly because ever since reading Preacher I've been determined to watch more John Wayne. But also because I now rate Rio Bravo as in my top ten films. I guess because it's so perfectly well rounded as an example of cowboy movies. And you have a multiplicity of sub-plots (not very inventive) played out to satisfaction over the course of the film. There's John Wayne, Dean Martin, and an actress I didn't recognise but immediately had the hots for, Angie Dickinson:

angie-dickinson-rio-bravo12.jpg

It also has a great tune, which really should have made it to New Vegas: My Rifle, My Pony, and Me.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I should add that UK members will find Rio Bravo going out free on ITV4 later today.

-Elwood Blues

Cowboys & Aliens - ...meh. Took itself way too seriously most of the time. Some good early moments but then I started to zzzz.

The Adjustment Bureau - watchable. Terrance Stamp is still awesome.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cowboys vs Aliens was just Independance Day during the west. I don't understand the love for it. It was entertaining, but very stupid.

I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about Avatar when it came out and everybody hated me for it.

But yes, Cowboys and Aliens was totally redundant. Olivia Wilde is always a nice looker though.

Cowboys vs Aliens was just Independance Day during the west. I don't understand the love for it. It was entertaining, but very stupid.

I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about Avatar when it came out and everybody hated me for it.

But yes, Cowboys and Aliens was totally redundant. Olivia Wilde is always a nice looker though.

That's because you are still wrong about Avatar.

But yes, Cowboys and Aliens was a pretty standard popcorn flick. It was fun enough to look at but you don't want to go examining the plot or anything.

Are you nuts? Obviously Avatar was essentially Independence Day. It's like I'm always telling people that Herbie is essentially Citizen Kane.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Man, whatever I was expecting of The Dark Knight Rises, that wasn't it. That looks fantastic.

Are you nuts? Obviously Avatar was essentially Independence Day. It's like I'm always telling people that Herbie is essentially Citizen Kane.

I don't see the connection between Avatar and Independence Day either. I always felt it was more like Dances With Wolves (which was a ripoff itself, if you want to classify all "going native" stories that way) meets A Princess of Mars.

I don't get the hate for it, the story was not the point of that movie anyway so why do people focus on it? It was plain and simple spectacle, and it succeeded at that very well. Plus, in Star Wars the farmboy became a knight to save the princess from the black knight's fortress. Story? Meh! I don't see the need to focus on the stories in these kinds of films. I think movie goers have just become too jaded. If it came out during this day and age Star Wars would never have succeeded.