SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

I salute his dedication to the task.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Did three of the beta weekends, including this last one, and had a good time with the game. Only played each class to level 10 because I didn't want to invest too much time into a character that was going to be deleted anyways and I didn't want the experience ruined once the game goes live. I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to start Republic or Sith. It's a tough call. I'm all for being one of the "good guys" and want to go the Jedi or Smuggler route but I really enjoyed my time playing the Sith Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter. The story line for both of those classes was much more enjoyable than any Republic class I played. I may have to flip a coin lol.

And now they've decided to give an extra two days of Early Game Access, starting on the 13th of December...

I'm guessing that they're deciding to really stagger that intro launch on the servers with all the pre-orders.

Edit: Oh, and now they've "officially" launched access for folks to download the game launcher and client so you can all take your time downloading and installing the game before hand.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I should have browsed the Bioware forums more often. I got the invite to be a beta tester, now my key is expired.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

it ended last weekend because of the fact that it's "gone gold" and people are waiting for the pre-access to begin.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That.. depends on exactly what you want.

There is a big, arcing class story for each and every class. You can do that totally solo.

Each world has a story arc - again, that is possible to do solo.

There are various side-quests (as expected) - which are all possible to solo.

Each world also has several "Heroic" quests, which are designed in various cases to be doable at that level with either 2 people (and their companions) or a group of 4 players. - However, if you're several levels higher, it's possible to complete them solo. (by several, I mean , a handful of levels and knowing what you are doing).

Each world also has a unique "world boss monster" type of thing, which is pretty much impossible to do unless you have a mass "operation" which will be a lot of people.

There are also "Flashpoint" missions, which are special group missions. But you don't have to do them to actually go forward in any of the storylines.

There are also the "starship" missions, which is more of an arcadey style mini-game - Not needed to complete any stories, but thats purely solo.

All of the on-world missions can be done in groups (although class-specific quests can't be done with another person of the same class in the group).

Yeah, I never actually grouped up with anyone with my bounty hunter character and I was able to enjoy the storyline with no issues. The fact you have an NPC companion really helps in the tough situations.

I would definitely say it is worth it form a single player RG standpoint. If you like the Bioware storytelling machine (which I do), this game is very impressive, and has quite a bit of replay value with the different classes. The only issue is you might not be happy with the conclusion, as MMO's aren't really supposed to end. Although I don't know if class storylines eventually reach an endpoint, I didn't get far enough in.

I don't know how you turn down a group invite from Manga Bosoms though.

So, can it actually be played as a SPRPG? Or do I have to group up with IPFreely and Manga Bosoms, to advance the story?

It depends on the difficulty they finally went with and how they end up balancing the classes. The build before last, trying to solo post 30 content was overtuned and I know that as of the last build smugglers and jedi knights had story line bosses that they needed to group to beat.

The intention is that anyone can solo from 1-59, however.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Something that might be interesting to folks getting the game..

Tips for the Preferences Tab

A video walk through of the TOR preferences tab, what options do, assorted tricks and why you should or should not use them..

Of course, thats for the last beta, but it shouldn't have changed too much now.

Early Access starts tomorrow.

Indeed. And the pains of juggling attempts at work, household chores, christmas stuff, seasonal depression, and potential TOR geek-out playtime...

Oh what way will that fall..

Based on my preorders, I'm guessing I won't get an email until Wednesday or Thursday for early access. I have one code from September and one in October.

I was charged for my Collector's Edition, so hopefully that will ship out in the next couple days.

I'm actually on hold with customer support, I'm locked out of my account because of a security code problem. I've been on hold an hour, what the heck?

Wasn't it supposed to start Thursday evening?! O_o

What, you missed my posting of the news last week? Yeah, they decided to extend the Early access to 7 days in total. Emails will start to go out at noon gmt tomorrow letting people know...

Wasn't it supposed to start Thursday evening?! O_o

What, you missed my posting of the news last week? Yeah, they decided to extend the Early access to 7 days in total. Emails will start to go out at noon gmt tomorrow letting people know...

Sorta busy with the new job. But I appreciate is posthumously :o

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm actually on hold with customer support, I'm locked out of my account because of a security code problem. I've been on hold an hour, what the heck?

My experience with TOR customer service is that it's crap.

Day 1: Send e-mail about issue with character.

Day 2: Get ticket number

Day 5: Post on customer service forum about issue. Ask what I should do. No response.

Day 10: Get mass e-mail that customer service isn't processing issues at this time.

Before anyone goes "It was beta," they told us that we were there to test customer service issues as well to make sure that GMs and such could help people when they had quest problems in game.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yeah, I hung up, reset my password, and that seemed to work. It's definitely concerning that customer service is this bad before the game is even released. Technically they should have way less volume to deal with right now.

I did get excited to hear my Guild server is assigned.

I will be adventuring on Corellia Run

EA usually has good support. Such a shame they're not quite up to it here.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, in the beta they had a few designated days for customer service, and they even asked for a stress test that fell apart. I get the feeling they're underestimating just how hard the servers are gonna be SLAMMED

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, in the beta they had a few designated days for customer service, and they even asked for a stress test that fell apart. I get the feeling they're underestimating just how hard the servers are gonna be SLAMMED

dunno. 'ccording to a couple articles we read, ea/bio is HOPEFUL of having 3 million subscribers by summer o' next year. over the beta weekend that occurred USA thanksgiving, they had 2 million players who averaged 12 hours o' gameplay. maybe the the ea/bio guys is all a bunch o' howler monkeys throwing p00p at each other, but to somebody like Gromnir who gots no idea what goes into a mmorpg development, it sounds like their testing gave 'em a pretty good notion o' what the initial high-water mark for server stress is gonna entail. sure, one weekend is not the same thing as 1 week or 1 month, and Chaos will needs to be paid her due as the unexpected becomes ordinary, but it sounds like there is no underestimation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)