SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

But isn't that kind of the whole point of the Mandalorians.
I don't care about Mandalorians. I rolled a space cowboy.

Did you play any other classes? I am just wondering if there might be a different storyline that you feel better about.
Imperial Agent would probably have a plot more to my liking. But I can't be interested in TOR again after Tattooine.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Heh, I thoroughly enjoy my unlimited broadband.. so I'm blithely ignoring that issue, although I read a lot of comments about it from various people.

Hm, I'm considering trying out the Trooper myself to start off the beta weekend, I think while it looks like it has a few interesting features, it's probably the class I'm not going to play in the near future when I get the game proper.

The classes are mirrored, so mechanically a Commando is just like a Mercenary and a Powertech is just like Vanguard. The story for the Trooper and Bounty Hunter are different through and the animations are different enough that some people weren't aware they'd been playing the same class.

That said, the Trooper is the most polished base class right now. In a sea of glowsticks wielders, it's telling that the best melee class is probably the Vanguard/Powertech right now.

I realized something a while back about RPGs. To write or design an RPG well, they have to be able to DM well. If a DM pulled that in a tabletop game, nobody would ever return. And the DM would have extra dice lodged in his face.

I hate the forced companions in this game. The 'love interest' for the female Jedi Consular is up there with Anomen from BG II when it comes to annoyance and there's no way to get rid of him.

Sadly, they originally planned for you to be able to kill/get rid of your companions.

I stand corrected. Just have come to not expect such things from MMORPGs. Has anyone played the Agent, and if so, how is their story/playstyle ?

The agent has the best story, but they're the least played class.

It all depends on how you like the cover system. The cover functions as a toggle between being mobile with one group of abilities and being immobile with another group of abilities. It makes playing one a series of stop -> go -> stop -> go, where other classes will reward you for chaining groups or encourage you to rush into a fight.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Honestly, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler seem like odd choices to put in the game if you're really pushing this war thing. Both are known for having loyalty only to money, it's just that they're staples of star wars so...

Also interest in TOR has started getting Blizzard worried.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Also, your companions can just sit back on your ship and have very little interaction, just like in every other Bioware title. You only get to take one with you at a time (not a requirement, but pretty helpful) so I can't imagine getting to annoyed with them.

I'm not a fan of the cover system, I'm just not comfortable with it. But I can see where it will appeal to some people's playstyle.

I haven't gotten my ship yet (only had one beta weekend where I got to level 10) but the companions were starting to bug me.

I haven't gotten my ship yet (only had one beta weekend where I got to level 10) but the companions were starting to bug me.

You only have one companion then, and you get them around level 8, so that seems a bit problematic. You can unsummon them or just keep sending them on quests every ten minutes. Make them go pick up your laundry and sell your junk, it's cathartic.

Don't forget you can modify their combat abilities. The droid for my Jedi Knight was really annoying, he would grapple hook everyone I was fighting and pull them away. Finally I realized I could disable that.

Honestly companions are a huge selling point for me, just like the Bioware RPG's.

Some companions work because they fill a role you couldn't (the Inquisitor's companion is a tank for example) but others just seem useless (the Muraders)

That's a small survey size so hard tot ake it seriously. Though, at least this survey suggests that the tired anti KOTOR MMO line of WOW players will never switch as potential bullocks since 88% of those surveyed were either going to buy the game or heavily interested in it. And, such a dumb sruvey actually effects stock? LMAO

That's why if I had a company (lol right) I'd neve rtake it public since then you rely too much on the whims of silly gooses. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Im pretty sure Im WoW-ed out. Its been a good run but I have no interest in alts and at my current level all I can really have fun doing is end game raiding, which is only a 3 day a week thing. So TOR here I come. Im confident its at least as competent as WoW. Im discouraged because deep down I know its the same thing with a new coat of paint. The Sith Inquisitor better be a mage.

Hm, so I've just got the notice that I'm in the weekend on the Saturday 10am CST time slot..

dang it..which translates to about 4pm gmt... and I've got a friends birthday party in the evening..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I keep vascilating on this title. WoW is absolutely horrible now. I don't mind the money I spent on it, but I had to quit a few months back. I thought the outlands expansion was pretty damned good, especially Kara, and I enjoyed WoLK, but the latest stuff just doesn't do that much for me. In fact, I dropped after progressing about halfway through Firelands. ...But what WoW has done is make me leery of MMORPGs altogether. I don't want to get stuck in a rut where I do nothing but grind to get to the heavy raid content and then be stuck looking for a good raiding guild and then praying fervently that all of the dynamics that make the team operate properly stay in place long enough to advance for a while. Plus, the way WoW worked when I left, they keep updating expansions which meant that I had just gotten maxed out in terms of my valor gear, tier sets, and had some good items from raids only to be forced once again to max out my heroic dailies every week in order to stay up with other players. I would like to see the Star Wars universe, but I just don't think I'll play any MMORPG for very long now.

As for the neutral folks, I think it would be great to have a game that gets away with a 2 sided contest. It would be very nice to have real factions and be forced to deal with them separately instead of having just an Alliance/Horde struggle. Having even a third faction would be wonderful for keeping everyone on his toes. I did think it was interesting that CoH and CoV had a crossover component, but I stopped playing that one before it was available.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hm, so I've just got the notice that I'm in the weekend on the Saturday 10am CST time slot..

dang it..which translates to about 4pm gmt... and I've got a friends birthday party in the evening..

Do they have wifi and is TOR installed on a laptop if you have one ? :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cant, you've just gotta stay out of the whole rat race for gear. It seems like a terrible way to play these games in the long run, it just leads to burnout. I've never worried about getting the best gear in an MMO.

I'm not sure what the end game will be like for TOR. I do know gear is all about upgrades rather than replacements. It sounds similar to the way epic weapons worked in LotRO, and that was a great system where equipment leveled with you.

One of the things about WoW is that you ended up looking like everyone else once you got to a certain point. Raiders always ended up looking pretty much the same. I really hated that. It would be cool if you could keep the outfit you like best but just put the new stats or whatever on it rather than switching to the same stuff everyone has. If that's what you mean by upgrades, that would be sweet. What I would really like is if you could keep the look you wanted. I liked CoH/CoV in that respect. You could customie your look. It wasn't even so much that I wanted to spend tons of time on my costumes, just that I liked being able to have my own costume and not look like everyone else.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

One of the things about WoW is that you ended up looking like everyone else once you got to a certain point. Raiders always ended up looking pretty much the same. I really hated that. It would be cool if you could keep the outfit you like best but just put the new stats or whatever on it rather than switching to the same stuff everyone has. If that's what you mean by upgrades, that would be sweet. What I would really like is if you could keep the look you wanted. I liked CoH/CoV in that respect. You could customie your look. It wasn't even so much that I wanted to spend tons of time on my costumes, just that I liked being able to have my own costume and not look like everyone else.

Isn't WoW about to launch an appearance changer for armor/weapons?

In TOR, some armor has mods and mod slots, so if you find a piece of armor with mods, you can switch those out instead of changing armor every level.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Well that'd be good. People have been suggesting that since 07, response was that it makes PVP difficult as you can't size up your opponent, if I recall correctly anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well that'd be good. People have been suggesting that since 07, response was that it makes PVP difficult as you can't size up your opponent, if I recall correctly anyway.

That was actually my biggest complaint with WoW. They were so worried about PvP and balance that they weren't willing to implement cool stuff. It took them way too long to introduce a new class, and then they cheated a bit with the Death Knight. They've been around for like 8 years without adding new classes, that seems weak. They seemed to do the same thing with the gear.

Hm, I just checked for patches before my "time slot" tomorrow.. and found I can hit play. .. Since the majority of the european servers are non-english.. I've ended up just starting up a Trooper on one of the US east coast servers...

Hm, I just checked for patches before my "time slot" tomorrow.. and found I can hit play. .. Since the majority of the european servers are non-english.. I've ended up just starting up a Trooper on one of the US east coast servers...

I hate you.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I hate you.

I could be playing that, but instead am doing a KOTOR1 marathon after I found my Xonar U1 in a pile of random electronic equipment and thus managed to get 5.1 audio from it. KOTORs don't like HDMI audio!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

They tweeted about new EU servers, so I guess I'll try my luck.

... Which wasn't working, since looks like they're enforcing the time limit for me after having let it slip for some others. Oh well, back to the original one. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've played the beta for about 2 hours (it unlocked 1am local time). Although I was expecting it to be similar to World of WarCraft, I didn't expect it to be exactly the same. Kind of disappointed that, at least during your early levels, it is pretty much just a carbon copy of World of WarCraft.

I have to say, the conversations are certainly smooth. Especially when you're in a group, even the heavy story ones slide nicely into everyone getting a chance and the way it flows along.

I've played the beta for about 2 hours (it unlocked 1am local time). Although I was expecting it to be similar to World of WarCraft, I didn't expect it to be exactly the same. Kind of disappointed that, at least during your early levels, it is pretty much just a carbon copy of World of WarCraft.

Wait until you get off the starter world to make that full judgement. Dromund Kaas and Coruscant really impressed me.