Deus Ex 3

CoM_Solaufein

No such thing these days. Slightly curious about this DLC, apparently there's cameos by the Savage family and some other neat stuff. Hm, maybe I'll watch an LP for that kind of detail.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh, I feel done with DXHR. Maybe if they decide to do a real expansion.

The table's definitely set for one. Of course, this is the length of a COD SP campaign, so they should just tack on a copy/paste multiplayer and sell it for millions, I guess.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I have now completed the DLC three times, and must upgrade my previous assessment from "very good" to "awesome". It might cost 1/4 of a new game, but imo that's exactly what it delivers - and it a quarter of a really, really good game.

There's a lot more reactivity in dialogue and environmental chatter and the level design is sublime. It's obvious that they learned a lot from DXHR and are now putting that knowledge to work.

Edited by Nepenthe

I have now completed the DLC three times, and must upgrade my previous assessment from "very good" to "awesome". It might cost 1/4 of a new game, but imo that's exactly what it delivers - and it a quarter of a really, really good game.

There's a lot more reactivity in dialogue and environmental chatter and the level design is sublime. It's obvious that they learned a lot from DXHR and are now putting that knowledge to work.

And did you catch the remark from Quinn in the end about the raging "invisible war" which unfortunately was "profoundly misconcepted"?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Started playing it now too. I am not very far into it yet, though. Just got my stuff back and that's all I can do today.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

And did you catch the remark from Quinn in the end about the raging "invisible war" which unfortunately was "profoundly misconcepted"?

Yes, among quite a few other ones. :D

Btw. That character is absolute genius on all levels, including VO and art design.

This DLC is GOTY! Have to get it when the bandwidth quota resets, I guess.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This DLC is GOTY! Have to get it when the bandwidth quota resets, I guess.

That's actually not far from my current feelings :D

Another nice touch, you can steal the final bosses gun during the storyline - in which case he'll be using a normal machine pistol in the ending. So, some reviews to the contrary, there actually is a new weapon in the game, even if it's just a special version of a normal one (and not just cosmetically different).

So what's not good about it ?

Finished the missing link now. It was good, needed a few hours. Steam tells me 83 minutes, but I doubt that this is correct. I was playing for at least 4 or 5 hours. The dlc felt to me a little bit like a longer version of the police station infiltration quest in Detroit, but more difficult. Don't know if there is much more choice&consequence in the dlc than in the main game, though. Also people said that the dialogues are bigger and better and stuff, but I find this not to be true. First, because there are just a few dialogues and second, it just felt to me like in the normal game. What I have noticed, though, is that various people have reacted on my "don't kill anyone"-playstyle.

I think it's a good dlc. Worth the 10 euro? If I would be sure that this is 100% new content, then yes. But I feel as if I have played something that should have been in the main game.

Especially the stuff with the prison / concentration camp, wasn't it supposed to be in the main game? I remember that some people talked about it prior to DX:HR release.

Also I really wish I could combine this with the main game... It's a bit bleh that it works as a stand alone game.

Now let's wait and see for future dlc content.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"It should have been in the main game" vs. "It feels tacked on". There's no winning that argument.

I haven't seen anyone say the dialogues are themselves better, there's a lot more reactivity in them. Certainly I missed a conversation battle in this one, but it would have been... tacked on. ;)

p.s. Like the police station infiltration? I usually just walk in, grab what I need and walk out. Doesn't feel the same at all! :)

If you go the dialog-way, it's hardly infiltration. But if you don't talk and take one of the backdoors, you'll have to sneak around, don't make any noise, climb through shafts, hack computers and doorlocks, collect passwords to get to your target, etc. in an interior setting. That's pretty much how this dlc works and feels.

Also you would miss a lot if you just take your target item from the police station and go away right after. :> I, as example, never leave without visiting the armory and all the offices.

Edited by Lexx

If you go the dialog-way, it's hardly infiltration. But if you don't talk and take one of the backdoors, you'll have to sneak around, don't make any noise, climb through shafts, hack computers and doorlocks, collect passwords to get to your target, etc. in an interior setting. That's pretty much how this dlc works and feels.

Also you would miss a lot if you just take your target item from the police station and go away right after. :> I, as example, never leave without visiting the armory and all the offices.

But, Stealing Is Wrong and an ex-cop just Would Not Do That! Yes, this game makes me want to actually RP. :)

Still think it was a lousy comparison, the DLC and the police station are nothing alike. o:)

You need to know more cops, they steal both active and ex :)

Is the stealth route heavily suggested in this DLC ?

You need to know more cops, they steal both active and ex :ermm:

Is the stealth route heavily suggested in this DLC ?

Maybe our cops are better than yours. ;) I know a lot of them and they do score very high regularly in "citizen trust" polls.

Hard to say about the stealth route, I think it could be done "commando" style as well, but in general I find the "stealth combat" approach to be most rewarding in this game, and it applies here as well. There's some nice reactivity in the Evil Monologues when you manage to stay hidden, my personal favourite being a spec ops leader warning his troops that the lack of casualties isn't a sign of weakness but of even more superior skill. :D

Still think it was a lousy comparison, the DLC and the police station are nothing alike. :)

Well, I don't mean the setting (ship / police station). But they both are pretty much the same mechanics and I have done exactly the same in both, just that the dlc has been a few hours longer.

In any case, I wonder what they will do for the next dlc. Stand alone again and stripping the player off of all his gear again?

In any case, I wonder what they will do for the next dlc. Stand alone again and stripping the player off of all his gear again?

I suspect a continuation from the ending. There's an end-game save created then and the missing link definitely teases that option. Depending on the ending, they could have a pretty good reason for stripping out gear, at the very least, but I doubt they'd find it necessary.

Missing Link allowed the player to experiment with a "novice" Jensen for a second time, now with more experience of the game and its mechanics. It was fun once (or thrice, including the "Factory Zero" way), but it would be gimmicky if done again. OTOH, also endearing in an old-school Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades kind of way.

I think they've backed themselves into a corner. If you get to keep everything, there'll be no advancement. They'd have to revise the upgrades. This may be as simple as adding another level to everything that has one. Still doesn't strike me as easy.

The ending of Missing Link could just be a teaser to a Human Revolution sequel.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think they've backed themselves into a corner. If you get to keep everything, there'll be no advancement. They'd have to revise the upgrades. This may be as simple as adding another level to everything that has one. Still doesn't strike me as easy.

The ending of Missing Link could just be a teaser to a Human Revolution sequel.

True, but more DLC is pretty much a given, considering they made a new menu for it and the comments in the end titles.

Kill Jensen ?

I think that after learning from Invisible War's mistakes, implementing a new cut-rate main character is the last thing they'll do. Sure, they have Ben Saxon set up as a credible leading man, but I doubt they're done with Jensen just yet.

If it wasn't for the way they've set up Missing Link on a slightly modified engine style, I could have almost expected them to add in a dlc to the Detroit hub. All the references to "missing women" just seemed to scream out for a subplot to explore.

But that would be more in the "minor dlc" in the vein of the Tong's rescue, rather then an actual "expanded story" dlc..

If it wasn't for the way they've set up Missing Link on a slightly modified engine style, I could have almost expected them to add in a dlc to the Detroit hub. All the references to "missing women" just seemed to scream out for a subplot to explore.

But that would be more in the "minor dlc" in the vein of the Tong's rescue, rather then an actual "expanded story" dlc..

Umm, aren't those missing women already addressed (to a degree) in the Missing Link?

:)

Umm, aren't those missing women already addressed (to a degree) in the Missing Link?

:)

Hm, I wouldn't have said so.

The Missing Link reference has it more as an .. in general of various people around the world (male and female), and not so obviously missing. Ie; all the "Doe's" of homeless/indigent, or the suggestion that it's people being arrested/snatch on terrorist charges and disapearing in the "system".

The disapearances in Detroit seem much more..specific and noticable. The fact that you have a detective in the police station with a wall of missing women (and only women) and an investigation underway. You don't have any noticable missing notices in Hengsha, even though a whole bunch of people in storage in the Missing Link seem to be from there..

Something about the Detroit situation seems to feel different to me at least.