London Riots

Nightshape

David Cameron's net-censorship proposal earns kudos from Chinese state media

A worrying reaction, it sounds like they're using the fuss to achieve some of their ulterior goals.

I'm not seeing any quotes from Chinese officials. The joke would be funnier if it were true.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

David Cameron's net-censorship proposal earns kudos from Chinese state media

A worrying reaction, it sounds like they're using the fuss to achieve some of their ulterior goals.

I'm not seeing any quotes from Chinese officials. The joke would be funnier if it were true.

Global Times is an English language newspaper that was set up by the Chinese government.

It's not attributed anywhere.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, the headline clearly says "state media" which is exactly what the Global Times is, the lack of Hu Jintao giving Cameron a personal high five doesn't invalidate it.

It's not attributed anywhere.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, the headline clearly says "state media" which is exactly what the Global Times is, the lack of Hu Jintao giving Cameron a personal high five doesn't invalidate it.

LOL.

Interesting point, though. If the 'fire' spreads using social media then why NOT shut it down? It's not as if the rioters were some coherent movement, with alternative comms.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I dunno, riots didn't have much trouble spreading without social media in past years, personally I can't stand Facebook and Twitter but I'd hesitate to give any government new powers over a method of communication.

To be honest there's a thousand different ways people can organise a riot nowadays, blocking certain services won't be enough, they'll have to go straight to the root, which is something they've been aiming at for a while, governments tend to take miles when first given an inch.

Two men jailed for inciting disorded via social networks...

Both men seperately set up pages on facebook which were some variation of "Let's have a riot in [insert location]" which has ended up giving them four years in prison..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I wonder if Nazi-Germany would have collapsed from within if they had facebook back then.

I can just see Adolfs every other status update:

Adolf Hitler says: Oh, and by the way, screw those bloody Jews!

Note: this post was in jest, not serious.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Both men seperately set up pages on facebook which were some variation of "Let's have a riot in [insert location]" which has ended up giving them four years in prison..

I need one of the in house lawyers to answer this, but can they legally do this? Arrest them for posting on the web.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I need one of the in house lawyers to answer this, but can they legally do this? Arrest them for posting on the web.

I think it comes down to the "inciting to riot" style of.. does it really matter the medium that the "inciting" is done in?

I think it comes down to the "inciting to riot" style of.. does it really matter the medium that the "inciting" is done in?

Technically I thought that it was "disrupting public order", but can you really call that on the web. Since its not part of the public order.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Sure.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sure.

Well? :verymad:

village_idiot.gif

WDeranged. I atke your point about losing miles instead of inches. But is it really so much worse that the government should shut down Twitter for 24 hrs/48hrs? They can detain you without trial for whole days on suspicion of terrorism. They can shut down the streets.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's like being back in school really. A group of people can't behave, everyone loses their privileges. Tis rather amusing how adult life parodies school life in so many ways.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

It's like being back in school really. A group of people can't behave, everyone loses their privileges. Tis rather amusing how adult life parodies school life in so many ways.

LOL. We've gone from the Nanny State to the Boarding School State.

I'm not sure how I feel about the next stage, which would presumably be the 'Brideshead Revisited Oxbridge Fwah Fwah State'. I suppose at least there will be plenty of champagne.

-Elwood Blues

Sure.

Well? :verymad:

Well, what? You want me to put it into a sentence? "Sure, they can arrest them for posting on the web."

Just the same as, say, putting up posters on the walls. Just because it happens on ze internet, doesn't make it "not real".

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, what? You want me to put it into a sentence? "Sure, they can arrest them for posting on the web."

Just the same as, say, putting up posters on the walls. Just because it happens on ze internet, doesn't make it "not real".

They can arrest people for putting up posters? :thumbsup:

village_idiot.gif

If they were posters designed to incite criminal behaviour, disturbing the peace, racial hatred etc etc... Or an "I will give x money if so and so is killed" type of poster :lol:

It's that fine line between freedom of speech and all that jazz. Although technically I don't think the european countries actually have that as a specific founding principle like they have in the states.

...Because it's ALWAYS a question of judgement.

Although I do think it's questionable if incitement merits the same tariff as someone who assaults kids. Even if I think that's because the latter should be far far higher.

-Elwood Blues

This will probably blow your mind but its also illegal to incite a suicide. Yes, yes, free speech takes another hit.