London Riots

Nightshape

I don't like how people are labelling these punks as anarchists, they don't deserve the title, they're poor, undereducated people who are so mindlessly desperate for a flatscreen TV to watch Jeremy Kyle that they'll go out and trash the shops, I think this sort of thing will be quite regular during the enforced austerity years.

*edit*

I have to disagree with anyone wanting the bring the military in, this isn't their job, stop being so fetishistic, the army are not a magical pill.

Edited by WDeranged

Does this happen in the UK often enough to have police who are accustomed?

Well they have marching season and other things in NI, and they've had the G20. So not the exact same kind of riot, but not so different that the individual officers have no idea of what to do. Police haven't been using any gas, water cannons or rubber bullets yet, so there's still that for them to try.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And Tale : It's not been that long since the grand era of football hooliganism :) The coppers were all trained up for those sorts of rioting crowds.

How could I forget your football.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Our" football makes at least sense, because it involves feet.

And ours doesn't cause riots.

"Our" football makes at least sense, because it involves feet.

And ours doesn't cause riots.

Yours is just rugby, played with 40lbs of protective gear and a break every 5 minutes. :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My comment was more about your passion for the sport than for the difference in how its played.

I wouldn't say they're subdued. Sure they don't have psycho ultras like in Italy or Brazil, but there's still the usual "hurl abuse at opposing fans' type of thing. And they riot in the playoffs when they win :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Random trivia for the moment.. the explosion of popularity of Bruce Lee films back in the 70' actually led to a large number of the "organised" football hooligans into turning up with sais, nunchuka's, and assorted martial arts weaponry due to the ease of being able to hide it under a jacket..

Random trivia for the moment.. the explosion of popularity of Bruce Lee films back in the 70' actually led to a large number of the "organised" football hooligans into turning up with sais, nunchuka's, and assorted martial arts weaponry due to the ease of being able to hide it under a jacket..

I always wondered why I wasn't allowed to play with plastic nunchuks and throwing stars as a child.

*edit*

Well, I knew they were banned but I never knew why.

Edited by WDeranged

I don't like how people are labelling these punks as anarchists, they don't deserve the title, they're poor, undereducated people who are so mindlessly desperate for a flatscreen TV to watch Jeremy Kyle that they'll go out and trash the shops, I think this sort of thing will be quite regular during the enforced austerity years.

*edit*

I have to disagree with anyone wanting the bring the military in, this isn't their job, stop being so fetishistic, the army are not a magical pill.

I just wanna see people die, I'm enjoying my front row seat, I've got my popcorn, and my soda, and damnit the freakshow doesn't come to London that often.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

One thing the news is mostly skipping over, is the amount of people being left homeless and with most of their possessions burnt.

All of those little shops being set on fire.. a lot of them have apartments rented out above them.

Or perhaps I'm a wee bit angry.

Funnily enough I'm not THAT far away.

I just find the whole thing funny, because for the most part - it doesn't matter. It never matters.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/...ind-london-riot

Well "riot is the rhyme of the unheard" as the song goes. Largely I suspect that's a load of BS in this case anyway.

It's obviously a genuine expression of discontent, when every new job at Tesco has 40 applicants you know things are going to get nasty eventually, when times are bad people desperately want distractions like a big TV and a crate of booze, which is what I think this one comes down to, desperate grabbing hands trying to get free distractions.

*edit*

If this was political protest directed at the ruling class they'd have been marching on Downing St and the banks...not Argos.

Edited by WDeranged