What are you playing now?

Guest Slinky

Hmm let's see..

- Finished Alpha Protocol twice in a row, great fun.

- Finished Ultimate Doom with doomsday engine, also great fun.

- World of Tanks is great fun. Except when it's not. You know what's the problem with MMO's? The players are humans. I know I'm not the best player out there, far from it, but I'm not sure what's with people who fail to grasp even the simplest things after at least 100h+ of gameplay.

- Would play Minecraft, but I think I'll wait until it's somewhat finished. I don't want to constantly travel to fresh chunks to get the new stuff they add with updates.

- Indie game

looks strangely fun to me, even though I have never really played Dungeon Master or the likes back in the day. I'll keep my eyes on it.

- Picked up Metro 2033 from steam sale, I guess I check it out at some point.

- But next in the line is Deus Ex: Human Revolution, when it arrives.

Cutting through orks is fun for about 15 minutes.

Hah, pretty much. Demo was fun for the first run, sadly won't be bothering in buying that game.

Plodding along in Deus Ex, on Lebedev now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I finished Metro 2033, now I'm off to Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines with the Clan Quest Mod installed. I've never really explored much of the mod scene there. Though I have to admit that I feel a little skeezy since it uses the Wesp patch.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

No, Invisible War is a good game. It just didn't measure up to the original and had some questionable design decisions.

I liked the universal ammo and wish they'd put it into DX:HR.

The internet would melt down from rage. It was a good idea, for some reason almost no one sees the advantages.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What were those ? It does kind of make sense from an in-universe view though, thinking on it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The problem with ammo in most shooters is that it's supposed to be a scarce resource, but if you run out all you have to do is switch to another weapon, so there's almost no penalty. With universal ammo, if you run out you really run out, so you have to manage it efficiently, like you should in an RPG. Moreover, the developer doesn't dictate to you which weapon to use by dropping ammo predominantly for that weapon. It's completely up to you to decide what to use in any situation, but the catch is the more powerful weapons use a lot more ammo, so you really have to make a choice commesurate with the threat you're facing, but again it's entirely up to you.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What were those ? It does kind of make sense from an in-universe view though, thinking on it.

It was especially harsh on the xbox as the scarce ammo + inherent inaccuracy resulted in some tight spots. Or maybe I just sucked with gamepad shooters more back then (in fact, I did). The DXHR route, where the ammo takes space in your inventory (unlike, say, DX1 which at least one nostalgia-ridden review seemed to forget), is IMO a very good compromise.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It wouldn't have been such a big issue if the heavier weapons didn't take MASSIVE chunks of ammo to fire one shot, and left you feeling like you had a VERY limited ammo pool overall. You could be maxed out on ammo, only to find yourself with one bullet left after a single firefight if you used the wrong weapon.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.