This would be funny...

I dunno, doubt I'll find an indie SupCom :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This blog is pretty good for keeping an eye on interesting stuff.

As for SupCom, I'm not really that into the RTS scene these days(SupCom was awesome, though). Starting off with the large-scale RTS, I can think of Sins of a Solar Empire, then you might want to check out Gratuitous Space Battles, AI War, Darwania and Defcon.

Maybe someone else has more suggestions.

EDIT: Throw Harvest: Massive Encounter, Massive Assault and Star Ruler on that list and keep an eye on Achron, just the trailers blow my mind.

EDIT2: I'm finding new stuff for myself as well now, APOX looks really cool.

Edited by Purkake

Cool find. GSB looked ok, but something's putting me off it. I might give Star Ruler a try, as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I never got lost in old FPS, but then again I played 'em like madman. I wonder how many % of all FPS released in the 90's I complited at least twice. Heck, there are even some obscure ones like

Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold

Oh, I remember that one. It had some weapons that really packed a punch.

I think Descent and Descent 2 had the best FPS map design... and really confusing at times.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Shadow Warrior

I loved Shadow Warrior. Never finished it, but it was pretty cool. Better than Duke 3d, imo.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just wanted to say: play the Stalker games for shooters with open, well-designed maps. They are all great! (yes, even Clear Sky)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Call me an old geezer, but I can relate to Montes point. It's probably one of the reasons I'm much less of a gamer today than I was 20-25 years ago. Style over substance and presentation over content. When in a nostalgic mood, I really miss the days where things like exploration and discovery were part of a game, searching pixel by pixel and trying the impossible in a bad case of OCD, trying to spot yet another secret item/location :p

Today you get more warnings than a fighter pilot does on his HUD... Pull up, Pull up!, Low altitude, Stall! Turn left, Flashing question marks and exclamation marks. I think I still have some hand drawn maps on some moderatly yellowed and aged paper from a labyrinth in one the C64 Bards Tale games somewhere in a binder. Effin teleporter/spin-me-arounds making it a challenge.

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls doesn't seem to have auto-map. Unfortunately, it's only on PS3, though. For PC gamers, Wizardry Online, which even has "lost" feature is planned.

One of the things which makes me wonder is Japanese game development. While major companies doing their things, there have been being smaller companies making Wizardry games...

As a side note, somehow, in Japan, Wizardry series is taken as a classic fantasy, and thus, you will see not so many parodies/jokes such as Cuisinart blade, which was actually introduced as a blade which was forged by a legendary bladesmith Cuisinart. :rolleyes: I think that opening hours joke was there somehow, though.

Edited by Wombat

I never got lost in old FPS, but then again I played 'em like madman. I wonder how many % of all FPS released in the 90's I complited at least twice. Heck, there are even some obscure ones like

Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold

Shadow Warrior

Klingon Honor Guard (and I freaking hate Star Trek)

You forgot Rise of the Triad... best shooter of the 90s by a mile.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Shadow Warrior

I loved Shadow Warrior. Never finished it, but it was pretty cool. Better than Duke 3d, imo.

Aye, I liked Shadow Warrior as well. Few shooters that no one has mentioned: Redneck Rampage, Blood and Hexen. Blood especially was pretty fun as co-op.

Hate the living, love the dead.

What? I don't even.... That is a buy just to see how it works.

Which is a cunning marketing gimmick :p Regardless, I'm with you in being curious about it.

That's why I always jump on the "back in my day..." kind of people. Perhaps I should resurrect the indie game thread...

Yes please :lol:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I just wanted to say: play the Stalker games for shooters with open, well-designed maps. They are all great! (yes, even Clear Sky)

Am seriously thinking about investing time in Stalker 2 now its dirt cheap on Amazon.

Any views?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Am seriously thinking about investing time in Stalker 2 now its dirt cheap on Amazon.

Any views?

Consensus is that it's the weakest of the bunch but there's still a pretty amazing modding community and Stalker games are generally p. decent, as long as you can forgive the quirks. Btw, Clear Sky is cheap pretty much everywhere.

Any views?

They're all good, but Clear Sky the least so.

If you enjoy the STALKER atmosphere and environments then it's definitely worth spending some time with it, especially if you can get it cheapish.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I could never finish Clear Sky, because even with the latest patch I got a ****load of script bugs which made it impossible to finish the game. Call of Prypiat is the best one, imo. It's very stable, has real quests, etc. etc.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Fallout: New Vegas came out in 2010 and it had a wide open map.

And what about Far Cry 2 or the Stalker games?

I admit that I'm not as familiar with FPS as other genres, but I recall that linear design has always been around. Is there really more of it now?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I admit that I'm not as familiar with FPS as other genres, but I recall that linear design has always been around. Is there really more of it now?

Probably not, no.

If Call of Duty and it's imitators were the only modern FPS games then perhaps the image from the OP link might have a point, though it would probably be better to compare a map of an old game with a map from an actual modern game, rather than the silly pic they used.

Fallout: New Vegas came out in 2010 and it had a wide open map.

And what about Far Cry 2 or the Stalker games?

The linear design has been around a while, HL seems to be the first game I can recall that was linear in such a manner.

Before that it was all key cards and exploration.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!