This would be funny...

I'd not seen that picture before. I apologize to the forum for not being as cool as Morgoth.

Apology accepted - I still think it's a funny picture, but perhaps it would have been better under "random news" or the funny thread in WoT?

Fortune favors the bald.

I think it's called being captain obvious.

Do we really need the grognard horde to have another diatribe against the woes of "modern gaming" and hear for the billionth time how much better everything was ten years ago?

Do me a favour and tell me it isn't true. Geez. Your obsession with modernity is as dull as mine with the past. your retorts are equally predictable. come back when you start shaving.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Come now, children, let's play nice.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i like my shooters wide open. like battlefield 2.

i'll play whatever kind of shooter when the mood is right, but as a general preference, i like huge open areas to traipse through

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm conflicted. I hate getting lost, but I also enjoy exploring. I hate cutscenes, but I also hate resources being spread on things nobody will ever see.

And you just felt you needed to open a thread for a picture that everybody knows by now?

And you felt the need to derail said thread into off-topic on the first reply because of your steadfast dedication to community building, I'm sure.

"Neener neener, I saw it first." Grow up. I am so tired of these internet cliches like "old", "first" or "tl;dr" that message board hipsters (an oxymoron if there ever was one) love to throw around.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I think it's called being captain obvious.

Do we really need the grognard horde to have another diatribe against the woes of "modern gaming" and hear for the billionth time how much better everything was ten years ago?

Do me a favour and tell me it isn't true. Geez. Your obsession with modernity is as dull as mine with the past. your retorts are equally predictable. come back when you start shaving.

Ouch, you cut me with your razor wit.

My point is that there is a wide variety of games out there that cater to all tastes. Instead of focusing on the AAA, try looking into some more indie stuff.

I seriously disliked the map design in Doom 1&2. I would only get lost at some point. Duke Nukem was 1st fps game that had good map design (imo). So no, don't really miss the -93 map design at all :)

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

I liked the level design in the first two Dark Forces games, ah the fuel station in JK. Only tried a few of the big name AAA shooters, crappy level design in terms of paths at least. Dumb question though, how can a game be linear but not on rails ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like my shooters cheap and loose.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Have fun searching for a blue and yellow key for 2 hours.

actually, that was a lot of fun :(

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I never got lost in old FPS, but then again I played 'em like madman. I wonder how many % of all FPS released in the 90's I complited at least twice. Heck, there are even some obscure ones like

Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold

2pyqlap.jpg

Shadow Warrior

6te4r8.jpg

Klingon Honor Guard (and I freaking hate Star Trek)

qovhb4.jpg

Often a full price no less :lol:

Thank to Steam holiday sales I spend under 10

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

dark forces was awesome, getting lost was half the fun

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Call me an old geezer, but I can relate to Montes point. It's probably one of the reasons I'm much less of a gamer today than I was 20-25 years ago. Style over substance and presentation over content. When in a nostalgic mood, I really miss the days where things like exploration and discovery were part of a game, searching pixel by pixel and trying the impossible in a bad case of OCD, trying to spot yet another secret item/location :p

Today you get more warnings than a fighter pilot does on his HUD... Pull up, Pull up!, Low altitude, Stall! Turn left, Flashing question marks and exclamation marks. I think I still have some hand drawn maps on some moderatly yellowed and aged paper from a labyrinth in one the C64 Bards Tale games somewhere in a binder. Effin teleporter/spin-me-arounds making it a challenge.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As I said before, the market is so much wider than the front and center AAA stuff. Go and discover some games instead of being a crotchety old geezer.

I really *am* looking forward to Age of Decadence :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's one, but there are hundreds of gems out there, from super hard RTSs to awesome innovative stuff.

That's why I always jump on the "back in my day..." kind of people. Perhaps I should resurrect the indie game thread...