This would be funny...

Unreal got key cards and switches every once in a while, but beside it was pretty linear as well.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not all linear games are the same. To other extreme there's something like interactive movie (ie some Black Ops maps where you don't even have to shoot mobs and you can just follow NPCs till the end) or railshooters and other end there's something like Half-Life where you really can't skip certain pathways, but there's still some optional content.

I still play a lot of FPS (but not as many as in the 90's) and while there are some sandboxy games, linear (in the Black ops way) are more numerous by large margin. Sometimes I wonder why I bother... I just can't resist cheapo games from Steam holiday sales.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I could never finish Clear Sky, because even with the latest patch I got a ****load of script bugs which made it impossible to finish the game. Call of Prypiat is the best one, imo. It's very stable, has real quests, etc. etc.

I'm always surprised to hear about people's problems with Clear Sky. Because nobody ever echoes the problem I had with it.

It's pitch black at night. And no way to skip through night. So it's just wandering around, bumping into rocks, or hanging out at a camp for an hour or longer of real time. The actual length of time escapes me, because the second time night came around, I stopped playing the game altogether.

I really do need to play CoP. I own it, but it's on the pile.

The linear design has been around a while, HL seems to be the first game I can recall that was linear in such a manner.

Before that it was all key cards and exploration.

By insert-deity-of-choice, I think you may be right! That's an observation I never quite caught.

Then again, I never minded linear design. It's not usually as bad as the op's image illustrates.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've used mods that added a sleeping bag, so I could skip nights. In other cases I've searched for some place to wait until the night is over-- this I have done in all Stalker games, because I just hate it to run through the night. The developer who had fun with running around in the night all the time should be punished with black screens of death.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

One of the things about Bodycount which they've not even pushed is its level design... Bloody marketing folks.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I've used mods that added a sleeping bag, so I could skip nights. In other cases I've searched for some place to wait until the night is over-- this I have done in all Stalker games, because I just hate it to run through the night. The developer who had fun with running around in the night all the time should be punished with black screens of death.

Maybe fleshweld mirrorshades to his head like in Mona Lisa Overdrive?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I dunno. The reason I posted the image was because the first FPS I fell in love with was Doom on the PS1.

I loved getting lost, FPS to me seems to be the perfect genre for exploration and showing off 3d environments, if not the best for tactical gameplay. I played Bad Company 2 recently and realised that although it isn't a corridor game, it ain't far off in places.

sonsofgygax.JPG

system shock 2 was somewhat linear, but still had exploration, where would that fit in the doom 1 vs COD?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Soo we're basing this off of 2 data points?

The plot thickens...

"2 data points?" please tell me you're human.

If you're doing requests can you tell me that you want to be my baby, baby? My baby for all time. Beneath the naughty moon.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

system shock 2 was somewhat linear, but still had exploration, where would that fit in the doom 1 vs COD?

System Shock 2 had linear progression, but each individual level was quite open.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: