RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

you mean Icewind Dale 3 :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Hm, reading a few of the things that cropped up about the new Hitman game at E3..

They want to make it simpler for the "average" gamer to feel like a suped up killer, rather then only a select few who are really good at the game..

Methinks I might worry somewhat. I mean, I know they have to balance it out against all those AC fans who haven't really encountered Hitman in the.. wow..5 years since the last game. But still... part of the fun was figuring out some of those really obscure ways to kill targets and complete the missions. If they start holding hands and putting big neon signs for how to do those sneaky kills...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

A shame D&D:D demo was a pos.

There are two unannounced projects in that list. Not expecting anything good.

They may also get better sales next time if they don't have it d/l only as well for consoles. You'd think with a namebrand name like D&D they'd realize the bigger sales on consoles don't come from PSN but from hard copy sales (and ironically, on top of that from franchises...but you can make a D&D franchise with a well thought out game...CoD, GH, etc.).

Note from about the recent DNF insanity and reviews, from Tycho of Penny Arcade

There was a tempest a few days ago about a PR dude threatening to cut off people

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And there is the explanation of how DA2 got such good reviews overall. Not like most who followed reviews didn't already realize this was happening and it was obvious this happened with the reviews of DA2...hence the pressure to put out a good review for the future...

This is why I trust user reviews over site reviews typically. I've seen sites give stellar games 5's because they have no clue about the genre or those who play those types of games...and it goes up to the high 8's to the 9s with the user reviews...and the exact opposite with other games.

Of course using that scale with DA2 via Gamespot...it get's relatively close to the site's reviews from the users...so perhaps my model only works for small time games that sell under 200,000 copies rather than big time games that everyone buys or trys.

Yep, but we've all known that for a long time now. Reviews, unless they are played exclusively for the lulz like Croshaw, are useless, both for good and bad.

One of the values of a game forum like this is you generally get more hinesty and insight into an actual game than you do from the "professionals."

I think its kinda cool, really.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

^^User reviews suffer as well from random butthurt raids. I mean wasn't portal 2 like 5 user score on metacritic at one point cause a lot of people were randomly angry about the arg?

Like slowtrain says, forum communities that I hang out on are my main source of whether or not I'd like the game.

Edited by ShadowScythe

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6320314/no-ne...all%3Btitle%3B5

No next-gen PlayStation 'for quite some time' - Sony

"PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride," said Tretton. "And technologically, I don't think it's possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have. What we've seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3. We invested heavily in that, we rolled a very heavy rock up a steep hill, through the launch period. But now I think that all pays off, and we've got a long run way behind it. So, I wouldn't look for any discussion of a next-generation PlayStation for quite some time."

I already thought so, but some were predicting it coming sooner rather than later. X-box who knows...they were right on Nintendo however. Then again, that Nintendo is coming out with a new console was no surprise to anyone...well anyone who was following the slipping sales of the Wii over the past little while.

^^User reviews suffer as well from random butthurt raids. I mean wasn't portal 2 like 5 user score on metacritic at one point cause a lot of people were randomly angry about the arg?

Like slowtrain says, forum communities that I hang out on are my main source of whether or not I'd like the game.

Well, just so that you know, I don't give a damn about any of your opinions.

And there is the explanation of how DA2 got such good reviews overall. Not like most who followed reviews didn't already realize this was happening and it was obvious this happened with the reviews of DA2...hence the pressure to put out a good review for the future...

This is why I trust user reviews over site reviews typically. I've seen sites give stellar games 5's because they have no clue about the genre or those who play those types of games...and it goes up to the high 8's to the 9s with the user reviews...and the exact opposite with other games.

Of course using that scale with DA2 via Gamespot...it get's relatively close to the site's reviews from the users...so perhaps my model only works for small time games that sell under 200,000 copies rather than big time games that everyone buys or trys.

I doubt it was all that, DA2 sold over 2mil, so at least a lot of stupid frat boys like me seem to have liked it. Dude. Bro. ;)

DA2's reception was an interesting (group) psychological phenomenon overall, and IMO had very little to do with the quality of the game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I honestly don't remember any figure where 2 mil.+ was sold-through. That said, Dragon Age II was obviously produced on the cheap, especially when compared to Origins, so it probably profited to EA, as much as the game was hated. It had a horrible impact on BioWare's image and brand recognition though, so we'll have to see.

A shame D&D:D demo was a pos.

There are two unannounced projects in that list. Not expecting anything good.

They may also get better sales next time if they don't have it d/l only as well for consoles. You'd think with a namebrand name like D&D they'd realize the bigger sales on consoles don't come from PSN but from hard copy sales (and ironically, on top of that from franchises...but you can make a D&D franchise with a well thought out game...CoD, GH, etc.).

You know what's funny? Daggerdale was the bestselling game on XBLA last month.

:shifty: PS3 has been "just hitting its stride" since 2007 with every year being the "year of the Playstation".

It's like Linux and the desktop.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Again, the question comes to mind why anyone would want to work in game development. To me it really seems the kind of job you would only do if you couldn't do anything else.

I find it kind of bizarre that it seems such a popular course of study for kids these days.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Better wait for the resident one to deign to enlighten the rest. It must have been more fun back in the 90s to be one, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Again, the question comes to mind why anyone would want to work in game development.

because in the States the average salary in the industry is 90k/year, which is a lot even by NA standards :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.