How can oen publisher invest in so many MMORPG's and expect to make a profit?

Humodour

I expect many of them are fairly similar, i.e. built on the same engine with different content / target audience / setting, and that they do a lot of official item selling.

edit: The SK game industry is very different from the Chinese. It's suffering from a lot of growing pains (no government support, localisation issues, labour pools, etc) and the symptoms of that are several idiot studios that churn out pretty much plagiarised C-grade games, but it could go either way. There is a similarity in the sense that there's a huge market for simpler, grind-based MMOs played in internet cafes.

There's a lot of money to be made in the "Free to Play" MMO market. I think Nexon recently had a gang-buster year and a lot of growth with its free MMOs. Another thing to keep in mind is that many of these free MMOs don't have the really high production values like the traditional Pay to Play MMOs have usually had so there is less risk when investing in them.

There's a lot of money to be made in the "Free to Play" MMO market. I think Nexon recently had a gang-buster year and a lot of growth with its free MMOs. Another thing to keep in mind is that many of these free MMOs don't have the really high production values like the traditional Pay to Play MMOs have usually had so there is less risk when investing in them.

I beg to differ sir, Vindictus has some of the best graphics on the market, an unique concept that's virtually untouched by every other MMO and it's free to play. There is money to be made by selling in-game items. Plus MMOs are a big deal in Korea and China; sport-like I would say, I would not be surprised if they had sponsors. When thousands of people visit your site daily and check your facebook page it's not hard to find people willing to pay for advertising space.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think Cryptic had stated that for their Champions MMO (which is now Free to Play) would be considered successful enough for a possible sequel/partner game for villians, at 100,000 subscribers.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I beg to differ sir, Vindictus has some of the best graphics on the market, an unique concept that's virtually untouched by every other MMO and it's free to play. There is money to be made by selling in-game items. Plus MMOs are a big deal in Korea and China; sport-like I would say, I would not be surprised if they had sponsors. When thousands of people visit your site daily and check your facebook page it's not hard to find people willing to pay for advertising space.

That's why I said "...many of these free MMOs don't have the really high production values..." :)

I've played Vindictus and it stands out among the free MMOs in terms of production values but it's rather unique in that sense. It was also released in a very piecemeal fashion with relatively little content at the outset which would have allowed the developers to stop working on it had it not been a success -- thereby mitigating a lot of risk that often goes into the normal AAA MMOs.

I'm not sure about the rest of your comment as it seems to agree with what I said :lol:

To a certain extent it comes down to how investment capital moves. Dragon's Den (*vomit*) has given people some totally misleading impressions of the process.

One of the weirdest aspects is that venture capital often prefers a 1 in a million chance of making a billion over a one in ten chance of making a million. My personal view is that for many players it's as much a form of legal tax incentivised gambling as anything else.

So in this instance I'd suggest that its a lot to do with some snakeoil merchant pushing his vision of the next World of Warcraft to uninformed, greed-crazed chinese investors.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

its a lot to do with some snakeoil merchant pushing his vision of the next World of Warcraft to uninformed, greed-crazed chinese investors.

nicely put :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble is the simple way to explain it. The actual real profit value of the MMO market has been grossly overestimated for years and years.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I tried Rift. It was fun for a week then it was... meh. Grinding / running about / grinding. I cancelled the subscription.

MMOs aren't my cup of tea and, a bit like sports sims and bioware games, their appeal eludes me.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I know that I'd be all over MMOs like stink on a goat, being the OCD megalomaniac that I am. But having seen two colleagues who are far cleverer than me waste years of their lives on MMOs I'm refusing to get involved. Until I get too old and fat to care.

So probably next Tuesday.

*bdum tish*

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

yeah, better waste it on a turd throwing sim instead ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I myself have never really been intersted in MMO, I've tried a few(Warhammer, Conan, Eve) but just didn't find them interesting. I think the main problem for me is that I have commitment issues.

However I completely understand why devs are constantly trying their hand in the MMO market, it's a gold mine if the game hits the right strings, more then COD/AC could ever hope to be.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

that's because it's an awesome game ;)

Walsingham said:

Ok i'm just putting this out there, but i'm I the only one that thinks that the MMO formula's is completely ****ed up?

It's a game without a deep context, story, most the quest are repetition of the same types, rewards are held up and in many cases unachievable. If someone released an MMO without any social aspect it would be a horrible game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

It's a game without a deep context, story, most the quest are repetition of the same types, rewards are held up and in many cases unachievable. If someone released an MMO without any social aspect it would be a horrible game.

Ahem...Diablo's.

...of course, you may think that's a terrible game series, too (which would be fine to have that opinion, btw ;) ). Point is, there's a huge money market and player base that does like such games, so, y'know...companies go there. Not everyone wants deep context/story/plot in their games, either all the time or ever. *shrug*

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Would Dragon Age Legends game on Facebook be considered a type of MMO? While on one hand it's played solo, you can add friends' characters to your party (though you control them).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ahem...Diablo's.

...of course, you may think that's a terrible game series, too (which would be fine to have that opinion, btw :rolleyes: ). Point is, there's a huge money market and player base that does like such games, so, y'know...companies go there. Not everyone wants deep context/story/plot in their games, either all the time or ever. *shrug*

Ok, Diablo is a rogue/dungeon crawler and I did mention that MMOs held up rewards; or the reward-difficulty ratio it's off. Diablo does random drops, there it's a motivation that's more rational than grinding for 20 hours straights to farm that dungeon with the though monsters, and get that item with the low drop rate.

The one negative thing that everyone says about games it's that they are a waste of time and that's how I feel about most MMOs, after a certain point they are designed to waste your time.

village_idiot.gif

from a developer's/publisher's perspective, MMOs are perfect, because they make you, the gamer, spend all your time trying to get that rarest drop. everything in subscription based games is designed as a time sink. Diablo is no different, though it's not an MMO or a subscription based game at all. in essence Diablo is about farming dungeons and getting to the highest level.

now what I personally don't understand is why free to play MMOs use the same design, when they should be mimicking TF2

Walsingham said: