PC Controls Discussion

I tried DS3 demo and the controls were horrible, it took at least an hour of gameplay to start making any sense out of them. I'm using Right Mouse to move and AD to adjust camera, but that still makes rolling/using defensive skills pretty hard.

You can think what you like about WoW but at least it has this feature nailed. If other game companies want to copy something from it in hope for easy ride to success it should be the controls.

as of now it looks like a enjoyable forum but! the topic controls are horrible, they are even beyond logical

I just watched another forum , no metric ftons of threads about the same topic, mods keeping an eye out for topics to merge, seems about standard forum scheme right?

now over to the obsi forums, when there is dungeon siege, there are no less than three threads about multiplayer, and many more about controls? what? I mean, come on, any forum user with more brain cells than a chair will laugh at this moderation!

Seriously how hard is it? one topic one thread, another topic... another thread.

not rocket science here, mods

please fix this and you'll have plenty happy forum users

okay that was copypasta, but the point stands. one thread for one topic please.

Just wondering if the devs would comment on this article where Eurogamer interviewed an Obsidian staffer about the PC version of Dungeon Siege 3 back in February this year.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/08/obsidian-t...ability-issues/

Specifically I'd like to see feedback from you guys on these quotes

"The Obsidian staffer told Eurogamer that the PC version of Dungeon Siege III will not be a straight-up console port."

Edited by deejayqf

Are you (Obsidian) going to fix this game for use on the PC or are we just stuck with a "console port" that I can't even use my PC gamepad on?

Don't suggest it because I'm not buying a Xbox 360 controller, I already have a better Saitek gamepad for my PC. Why doesn't the game recognize this gamepad?

We need separate block and dodge keys. We need optional mouse camera control. We need customizable key mapping also because, besides the default movement making my character seem handicapped, F for Equipment, E for Action, and T for Items isn't cutting it.

You could give us some better textures and lighting also, but the game is pretty good looking already.

Just download x360ce emulator software and you can use your Saitek gamepad in the game. (Read the help section of the software though).

Hate the living, love the dead.

There seems to be an awful and frankly unexplained disconnect from what Nathaniel (lead designer) initially said here and what we actually got (and from what I'm given to understand from reviews, this is the final PC control scheme though I guess we'll be able to change key bindings with a day 1 patch).

I doubt we'll get much of an explanation beyond "things change during development" but it's pretty weird that we'd go from a perfectly reasonable control scheme to a gimped one. There were actually moments of fun in the demo despite the general mediocrity, and I'm pretty sure the game would be fun if I had an Xbox 360 controller.. but it's an hack'n'slash and it's pretty weird, even with the slightly different mechanics, that we weren't provided a decent control scheme, considering there are so many examples of developers getting it right, and considering Obsidian has shipped 6 PC titles already (one of them being a PC exclusive).

We don't know how the control scheme they described worked in practice - maybe that had its own problems. But I agree, it's disappointing that the PC controls are not up to what they appeared to promise. Just being able to remap keys would solve so many problems - if not through game options, at least through the .ini files.

edit: Various PC Controls threads merged since nobody wants to check 50,000 identical threads. All the posts should make sense...

There seems to be an awful and frankly unexplained disconnect from what Nathaniel (lead designer) initially said here and what we actually got (and from what I'm given to understand from reviews, this is the final PC control scheme though I guess we'll be able to change key bindings with a day 1 patch).

Considering how close this was to the apparent giveaway of review copys... I'd think that there were some problems with the Sheme and they just couldn't integrate it in time. Because I really don't think they came up with an entirly new control sheme in this short time. Still hopeful that it gets implented in patches.

1)targeting locks on first enemy you click. You have to kill it before you can target another

2)customizable keys is a must

3)rotating camera with A D keys would be tolerable if it didnt depend on direction you facing

4)dodging, blocking must be different keys

5)game says empowered abilities activated by SHIFT+1, SHIFT+2, SHIFT+3. Pressing these keys does nothing. Tier 1 empowered abilities activated by SHIFT+leftclick, so how to use tier 2, tier 3 ?

“Players expect to be able to click and move their character around with the mouse and click on enemies. We’ll certainly have it control that way."

it certainly does not control that way!

actually it does. the control scheme is kinda like old school diablo games if u move and attack with the mouse, BUT the game itself requires more than these type of control scheme. the fact paced action in the game kinda implies we should be using a WASD for moving, mouse for camera kinda control scheme.

it's like Obsidian was trying to make the game feel more like a DS game with the kb\m controls while the game itself is NOT like DS game in terms of action and pace.

that's what i feel.

if the A and D keys were to move the character and NOT the camera (and if i could rebind my keys) than i would have had a lot less to complain about, if anything at all.

Edited by topeira

After playing more of the demo, I feel pretty comfortable with the controls as they are. I don't think they're quite as horrendous as some claim, as long as you don't expect it to control exactly like Diablo or what have you. Starting to use the right mouse button for movement (though I still use W as well) has made it a pretty smooth experience for me. I suggest trying to use it for anyone having problems because it will allow you smoother movement to the sides as well without needing to swing the camera around.

Two main things though.

1) The camera rotation direction switching when you turn around is a killer. Nathaniel said that they were fixing this on the SA forums so hopefully that'll be in an early patch.

2) The game still really needs keybinding, I'm hoping this can be added somewhere down the line though I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think the game needs click to move controls at all, perhaps it could work in the demo areas. But judging from vids, the combat later on looks much too action-oriented for it to make sense. It's just not that type of game.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

5)game says empowered abilities activated by SHIFT+1, SHIFT+2, SHIFT+3. Pressing these keys does nothing. Tier 1 empowered abilities activated by SHIFT+leftclick, so how to use tier 2, tier 3 ?
They work, at least the ones you have mastered (Mastery bar on the Abilities page). SHIFT+left click empowers a standard attack. Edited by Oner

First: Thank you, Obsidian, for making a playable demo. You turned me from "not going to be a customer" into a "potential customer".

Now, in order to turn me into a "paying customer", the only kind that counts, you have to do four things:

1) Make controls remappable.

2) Add "move character left" and "move character right" to the available controls.

3) Add an option that lets holding the right mouse button move the camera, with a similar speed as moving the mouse moves the cursor normally (this can be a remappable button, if you can be bothered to include mouse buttons in your remapping scheme, which I strongly encourage).

4) Add an option that lets me target a different enemy than the one I'm currently attacking by clicking on the new enemy, rather than having to turn to face them.

We don't know how the control scheme they described worked in practice - maybe that had its own problems. But I agree, it's disappointing that the PC controls are not up to what they appeared to promise. Just being able to remap keys would solve so many problems - if not through game options, at least through the .ini files.

edit: Various PC Controls threads merged since nobody wants to check 50,000 identical threads. All the posts should make sense...

All pc users can remap their keys, Auto HotKey is free, now I'm not saying that to be wise. But I have done that and really most issues can't be fixed by simple re-mapping. I wish it were true though. RMB - Should be a drive (move to location) and steer (mouse view) all in one. No hold down Alt, one key does both and that be RMB. That to me would be the single nicest key. But playing this with mouse vs controller, the fighting part is just off with the mouse, I don't know if it is the target lock being the issue or not, but I just have much more control in everything I do when fighting with a gamepad vs the mouse mode here. That isn't the case in all games of this manner, just this game because the k/m controls are just a bit off.

As to a developer stating click to move, actually the developer is correct you can right click to move, it's just you are thinking click on the ground to move to a point. So it's more of the small details in what was said.

It's now all about do the developers care because the message has been true. I found solace in the gamepad in my case, but that shouldn't be the blanket answer.

Dear Obsidian,

I've never played a dungeon siege game before (although I did own DS2...) and honestly after playing the demo I've decided to add Dungeon Siege 3 onto my 2011 purchase list - something I never planned for.

That said this purchase relies on the option to change/remap the PC game controls which I need to see in your future patches. Why?

I am left handed and the very first thing I do is remap keyboard game controls so I can play the game comfortably, Dungeon Siege 3 is not left handed friendly.

You should try playing it with a mouse in your left hand and you'll quickly understand just how bad the current keyboard setup is for left handed players.

I don't understand why developers have started "locking" the keyboards in new games, it never goes down well - look at Witcher 2 they did the same thing but the player base complained and for good reason. They added keyboard remapping in there FIRST patch because people not only wanted that option but some of us NEED that option to enjoy playing the game.

This mean I have to wait until I either see a patch that allows me to remap the keyboard or a hack that allows me to do it unofficial because otherwise its just no fun to play a game when your not having fun with the controls.

So dear Obsidian - please patch in the ability to remap PC keyboard controls.

Thank you!

First: Thank you, Obsidian, for making a playable demo. You turned me from "not going to be a customer" into a "potential customer".

Now, in order to turn me into a "paying customer", the only kind that counts, you have to do four things:

2) Add "move character left" and "move character right" to the available controls.

3) Add an option that lets holding the right mouse button move the camera, with a similar speed as moving the mouse moves the cursor normally (this can be a remappable button, if you can be bothered to include mouse buttons in your remapping scheme, which I strongly encourage).

4) Add an option that lets me target a different enemy than the one I'm currently attacking by clicking on the new enemy, rather than having to turn to face them.

i agree totally on everything (besides no.3. seems redundant).

i agree totally on everything (besides no.3. seems redundant).

Thats how it works in nearly every 3rd person game. How is that redundant, especially if number 2 means functional wsad keys which currently control camera movement.

Has anyone considered that perhaps the rebinding of keys just isn't in the demo, like savepoints aren't active? Not saying that's the actual case, but who knows?

I find the pc control scheme a bit awkward, especially in the feeling like I have to use so many keys almost simultaneously (my hands/fingers aren't that dexterous or quick). Pressing the 1 key, for instance, means I can't keep other fingers on the AD keys (fingers too short) & having to re-position the hand every time I press 1 is personally aggravating. But it's far from unplayable or game-breaking. Play the demo a few times, you get kinda used to it/find something that works.

Not control related so much, but biggest problem I tend to have is not getting an "intuitive" sense of combat space, eg I'll think I'm close enough but I miss, or vice versa, or whatever. Then on top of that, the animation motion seems to continue and I can't stop it, so I'll be flailing at air for a second, which can make things feel unresponsive until you get used to the 'space'.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Has anyone considered that perhaps the rebinding of keys just isn't in the demo, like savepoints aren't active? Not saying that's the actual case, but who knows?

I find the pc control scheme a bit awkward, especially in the feeling like I have to use so many keys almost simultaneously (my hands/fingers aren't that dexterous or quick). Pressing the 1 key, for instance, means I can't keep other fingers on the AD keys (fingers too short) & having to re-position the hand every time I press 1 is personally aggravating. But it's far from unplayable or game-breaking. Play the demo a few times, you get kinda used to it/find something that works.

Not control related so much, but biggest problem I tend to have is not getting an "intuitive" sense of combat space, eg I'll think I'm close enough but I miss, or vice versa, or whatever. Then on top of that, the animation motion seems to continue and I can't stop it, so I'll be flailing at air for a second, which can make things feel unresponsive until you get used to the 'space'.

You make a really good point. In some of the reviews, complaints have been made about the controls, though. Whether or not the retail versions (and not the review versions) will feature these controls and freedom to bind keys, or whether or not they will be fixed in a patch, I don't know... We will see.

As for the locked attack animation, are you talking about Lucas with his two handed sword stance? That's pretty damn annoying for me, as well. Attacking twice and aborting the third strike (usually by rolling away) seems to work for me, though. In normal you can get away with spamming the attack button, but in hardcore you have to really be careful about taking hits (which is easy to do when you can't control your character for 1 second). That's been my experience, at least.

Edited by hopfrog16

As for the locked attack animation, are you talking about Lucas with his two handed sword stance?

No...I've been noticing it with Anjali's "normal" staff attacks. I haven't figured out how to move away to halt it...probably a timing thing.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As for the locked attack animation, are you talking about Lucas with his two handed sword stance?

No...I've been noticing it with Anjali's "normal" staff attacks.

Hmmm... I played her in the demo more like a mage, so I guess I never really noticed that. I hope that doesn't seem to be a reoccurring theme in the different characters. It probably won't, but in a game like this, being able to act on split decisions responsively is important to me. I think I'll play her as a melee and see how I like it.

Played with her mage stuff and liked it, but I also like her kick move. :ermm:

Played with her mage stuff and liked it, but I also like her kick move. :ermm:

Yah, she was fun as a mage... I think Reinhardt will be more my style, though. =)

And yes Big Bottom. You can play the game on PC with a controller (2 if you want to play co-op on the same PC)